Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I didn't get the job . . .

srf2112

. . but the consolation prize is fine with me. I went on a job interview recently and while I was there I noticed several areas on the property that were in bad need of a 5.3 coil massage. One old date palm type palm tree caught my eye in particular. A few feet from that tree I hit the 25' S wheatie less than an inch down. I know you've all seen wheaties but I'm putting the pic in here to show you exactly what I saw when I pulled it out of the ground and how it influenced my thinking and strategy. The patina tells me it's been in the ground a very long time and not a recently dropped old coin. Secondly the area did not look like it had been eroded or turned up anytime recently. My conclusion . . . . the ground at my feet could very well be holding old, shallow targets so I decided to stay put even though I had plenty of other possible areas to hunt. Within 10' I hit the 2pc eagle w/the shield button (sorry I'm not an experienced button guy) at 4" with a solid, repeating VDI of 35 if I remember right. It has remnants of gold gilding and on the back says HORSTMANN PHILADA with a star embossed on it also. I was dumbstruck when I pulled this. 2" away from the button I found the old gun hammer which is made of a base metal and has remnants of gold plating and some design embossed on it also. I have no idea what type of gun it came from. The old ring is copper or brass and has gold plating on portions as well. The stamped 925 earring with stones was found on a follow up hunt also with the 5.3 coil, in a different area at 2-3" . The last find was the large eagle w/anchor button near where I found the earring. It looks like it was a 2pc but the back completely disintegrated and fell apart when it saw light. I had to chase the signal on the button and found it on edge about 6" down . . .I was completely blown away and ended my hunt on a very high note. Goin back with a bigger coil eventually. Thanks for looking.

That's my plan exactly Monte, Like I said, a bigger coil . . . eventually. I'm heading back there in about an hour Monte and I'm am planning on keeping the 5.3 on for the time being. I know you like that coil and I do too. It's my main coiI now and I use it 90% of the time. I eyed some new likely areas so I usually like to use that coil on my first "sweep" through the area mainly because of the physical access it allows. I normally do also like it to weed through the top layer and see what's in and amongst the trash but so far this site has had very little trash, iron included. I usually always hunt with my disc around 2 to 2-1/2. I may throw on a bigger coil later on to check out some areas I've gone over good but the 5.3 is going to get the bulk of the work today if not all of it. Thanks for the advice and I'll let you know if I hit anything worth noting.

Nice finds Scott. :thumbup: You may want to post that Eagle type button picture on the Relics & Bottle Hunting page on this website. Pretty sure someone will be able to ID it for you. CCH

I can get you started on the military buttons Scott. The Eagle W/Shield is an enlisted mans General services button and the Eagle W/anchor is a Navy button. Albert's book of buttons don't show them specifically, but you should be able to track them down on button sites on the net.

Many thanks EJ and Larry. I have found some nice buttons of all sorts since I started but these are the first like this I've found. My work on the research is lagging because I spend any free time I have trying to hunt. Thanks again for the help and advice and good luck to all of you . . .prime hunting season is here !