Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I enjoy adult air rifles.

Kevin B.

I belong to a Field Target club in Pulaski TN and it's just a bunch of us guys (from 30 yrs old to 85). Some of the airguns these guys have are $3000 jobs!!!! Very accurate with Lothar Walther match grade barrels. I shot my personal best at the last Field Target match......a 47/60. I am using a sping/piston powered airgun made by the German company Weihrauch. It's called an HW97K ("K" for karbine or carbine.) It is scoped with a Bausch and Lomb 6x24x40mm 4200 Elite. Our ranges are anywhere from 10 yards out to 55 yards. We shoot metal collapsible targets that are reset with a long string that comes back to the shooter's position. I'll post up some pics but it is 'beddie bye' time for me. Just wanted to share.

That's some great shooting !! Especially with a springer ! I have a sam yang .357 recluse which I like , but it is loud !! Haven't shot it over fifty but under 3\4" at that range..

I have more fun with my air rifles than my firearms.
I also had a HW97 in .177 cal. years ago. One accurate air rifle, sorry i ever sold it.
Put a lot of miles on my RWS 52 side lever in .22 cal.

However my favorite air rifle is a Theoben Eliminator-II in .22 cal. i bought back in the '90s.
Its a break barrel single kok air spring powered which can be pumped up with a special hi-PSI pump via a hi-PSI schrader valve to increase velocity.
I had that thing chrono'ing .22 pellets at 1400 fps. more than enough power to put a pellet right though a construction 2X4.

Problem was with all that power it broke 3 scopes, blown piston crowns, cracked stocks and the accuracy was in the toilet.
I had to rebuild that thing twice but even with a respectable 1200 fps it still broke scopes. Finally found a RWS scrope that held up. Its designed to only use scopes.

But not one to like scopes, i machined a false muzzle to accommodate a dove tail'd front sight and a rear adaptor utilizing the scope mounts to accommodate a peep sight.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o273/moparado/rifle.jpg

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o273/moparado/Eliminatorironsight7.jpg

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o273/moparado/Eliminatorironsight5.jpg

Great great hobby! Thats a beautiful rig there Ironsight!:drool:

Lots of my friends are into this...absolutely hooked and all...I have always been a small caliber/high accuracy guy anyway from what I can see, a nice .22 would be something important to have around for squirrels, turkeys, rabbits, chucks, raccoons, opossums, fox, etc...I suppose a well placed shot within range would easily kill a deer as well...like right on top of the head just off to the side in that thin spot by their ear..?
Mud

ironsight said:
I have more fun with my air rifles than my firearms.
I also had a HW97 in .177 cal. years ago. One accurate air rifle, sorry i ever sold it.
Put a lot of miles on my RWS 52 side lever in .22 cal.

However my favorite air rifle is a Theoben Eliminator-II in .22 cal. i bought back in the '90s.
Its a break barrel single kok air spring powered which can be pumped up with a special hi-PSI pump via a hi-PSI schrader valve to increase velocity.
I had that thing chrono'ing .22 pellets at 1400 fps. more than enough power to put a pellet right though a construction 2X4.

Problem was with all that power it broke 3 scopes, blown piston crowns, cracked stocks and the accuracy was in the toilet.
I had to rebuild that thing twice but even with a respectable 1200 fps it still broke scopes. Finally found a RWS scrope that held up. Its designed to only use scopes.

But not one to like scopes, i machined a false muzzle to accommodate a dove tail'd front sight and a rear adaptor utilizing the scope mounts to accommodate a peep sight.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o273/moparado/rifle.jpg

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o273/moparado/Eliminatorironsight7.jpg

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o273/moparado/Eliminatorironsight5.jpg

Dang.. 1400 fps with a .22 is moving on down the trail. Particularly if it's a standard weight pellet, and not a light alloy.
I bought a pellet rifle a couple of years ago. I like shooting .22 LR, but the ammo started getting so scarce, I decided
to hold on to all I have, and started shooting the pellets. Mine is nothing like what you are using, but still fairly fun..
Mine can go to maybe 1200 fps with the lighter pellets, but I actually prefer to keep subsonic for better accuracy.
So I use the standard weight pellets, and do maybe 700-800-900 fps tops.. Don't have a way to measure, but I'm
just under the sound barrier I think, as if I use a pointed pellet, I'm right on the verge of supersonic, and the accuracy
starts to degrade. Mine does the best with the slower hollowpoints and wad cutters.. Actually, I think it likes the wadcutters
the best of the three types I've tried. Didn't like the pointed pellets too much. Mine is a fairly cheap Ruger Air Hawk .177
that I picked up for about $80 at a Wally World.. It's a china Diana 34 clone.. Or real close anyway.. Uses the same type
of trigger, etc.. It came with a scope, which is nothing special, but has held up to the shock OK so far.. It's not on in
this image.. The scope doesn't actually seem that bad, but it could use a better one piece scope mount.

ee18.jpg

NM5K,
all my air rifles also don't like the pointed pellets. With the Theoben Eliminator's power, it requires the heavier pellets, seems to like the round noses.

You're right about subsonic and accuracy. Generally pellets are not designed nor have enough mass for hypersonic velocities. Also they're much more quieter subsonic, no sonic boom snaps.
Right now i've got the Eliminator's air spring PSI down to a respectable velocity chrono'd at around an honest 1000 fps where the accuracy is much much better. Again its a .22 cal.

The reason i bought the Eliminator (and it wasn't cheap) is i got tired of replacing worn springs on my Beeman R1 and RWS 52.
The Eliminator uses an air spring which can be kok'd for long periods of time unlike regular spring powered air guns. Air springs also will not lose power after thousands of rounds like a regular steel spring power'd air gun.

The older Eliminator's like mine have a hi-psi aircraft rated shrader valve where the air spring pressure can be increased thus increasing velocity. I had to special order one of those valves the last time i overhauled the Eliminator. The later Eliminators and just about all air spring guns sold today do not have this feature. Theoben got tired of warranty repairs from people pumping up the air spring and breaking stocks, piston crowns and scopes as i did with mine. Some of the newer hi-power air spring guns today use metal instead of plastic based piston crowns to prevent blown pistons. Replacing worn regular steel springs is not fun and could be dangerous as even in an unkok'd position the spring is still heavily compressed.

One other thing with hi-powered air rifles is dieseling damage to the piston crown and enough dieseling can eventually even weaken a conventional steel spring prematurely.
Can't tell you how many blown piston crowns i had to replace over the years even using the special lubes designed for air guns.
I solved the dieseling problem by cleaning out any trace of liquid lube in the piston cylinder when over hauling one of my air rifles. Then i burnish dry powder moly on both the piston crown and cylinder tube. Absolutely no more dieseling, more power and consistent velocities. After a couple thousand rounds i just kok the rifle and poof some moly down the discharge hole then work it in.

I've been shooting my old RWS Diana 350 Magnum in .177 caliber for about 15 years now. I shoot the Crossman Premier 10.5 gr. domed pellets, as they seem to be the most accurate. My best shot to date was a 75 yard headshot on a half grown chipmunk that was eating sprouts in my garden.
I have done absolutely nothing to this rifle and think that it's time to do some serious maintenance.

I purchased this rifle from Bass Pro Shops in Springfield Missouri, the price was around $400. They didn't have a scope mount to fit, so I ordered one from the gunshop near my office. I took the mount and rifle back to BPS and picked up a Leupold scope for it. Since I had bought the rifle and the scope there and was having them mount it, they asked if I wanted it sighted in. I said sure, dead on at 25 yards. Two days later I return to pick up my rifle. The gunsmith tells me that he cant get the rifle sighted in, he had tried four scopes and it just wouldn't zero in. He gave me my money back for everything, including the pellets that he's shot trying to sight it in. A couple weeks later I called Dynamit Nobel and talked to one of their gunsmiths. I told him what had happened and that I was not impressed with the quality of their guns (even though I had an old Diana 6M pistol that was awesome). He asked me how many times that I had shot the rifle. I told him there had been around 200 shots fired. He said that was the problem, the rifle's spring wouldn't "settle in" until I got at least 1500 shots on it.
Better educated now, I went to the BPS Catalog outlet store and saw the rifle that I had returned 2 weeks earlier for half the original price, so I bought the same rifle again and am still shooting it.

Trevor

Trevor, make sure whatever scope you put on that rifle is designed specifically for airguns.
Is that Leupold rated for air rifles?
What was the sighting-in problem? Elevation? Windage? Or random?

Firearm scopes like Leupolds are designed for rear recoil. High powered spring airguns have powerful both forward and rearward snap recoils enough to break a scope, even scopes designed for high powered firearms.
I know, i've broken a bunch of firearm scopes over the years mounted on my air rifles.
The one that has held up is a hi end RWS scope.

In addition, the barrel on some break barrel kok air rifles can be slightly out of elevation alignment with the receiver's scope dovetails or mounts.
Because of that and the exaggerated trajectory of air gun pellets compared to firearms, scopes designed for air rifles have a lot more elevation adjustment leeway.
This might be the reason that sighting-in that scope was a fail or the scope was damaged or couldn't handle the snap recoils during sighting-in is another possibility.

Its also possible there's a problem with the rifle itself like a defective muzzle crown, bent barrel, rough barrel rifling, leaky O-ring breech seal, loose forearm/stock bolts, too much or wrong kind of lube in the piston cylinder causing erratic trajectories via dieseling, barrel to receiver bolt is loose or not shimmed properly causing erratic windage anomalies, etc.

IMO, i think that 1500 round number is a bunch of BS unless the problem is diesling. If thats the case it would take a lot of rounds to purge out excess lube in the piston cylinder.

Think on brand new air rifles that come equipped with scopes. No way a factory is gonna put 1500 rounds through an air rifle with scope before its shipped. I'd say a couple hundred rounds is more than enough for settling in the piston and spring for initially sighting-in a scope.

In fact i've sighted-in scopes on brand new air rifles with maybe only 50 rounds put through it. Keep in mind though, as more rounds are put through it, the spring action will become smoother typically meaning an increase in velocity and a somewhat flatter pellet trajectory requiring continual re-calibration of the scope primarily the elevation adjustment.
In other words sighting-in a firearm can be a one time deal if the same ammo is used but might not the case with a spring air rifle even using the same pellets at least until the air rifle is thoroughly broken in with a few thousand rounds but at that point the spring could start to weaken reducing velocities requiring further elevation adjustments.
I'm not a big fan of scopes on air rifles. I'll take a good quality peep sight any day over a scope.

I tell you, these Air drivers are really into it! I got to spend some time at my buddies house last week, and we ran some pellets through his gear, He's a heavy airgun nut amongst other projectile emitting kind of things...(as are we all) ...after we got done with the .45 and Ar, We commenced to shooting .22 and .25 pellets out of his air guns!..Great! ..Anyway, He gave me this Air rifle scope which I popped onto my .22 rimfire Browning when I got home!...cant wait to dial it in!
We had a blast shooting open sights on his target range, he had trijicon's on his gear, which was nice..I'm really liking this .22 to .25 air gun gear, its super accurate and just plain fun!...I can see myself getting one soon..I be this air rifle scope will work just fine on the .22 rimfire...:thumbup:
Mud.

Hey mud, get that air rifle.
If you want a single kock break barrel, I would suggest a rifle with an air spring rather than a conventional steel spring.
Air spring rifles can be kocked for long periods which is great for hunting small game. Steel spring rifles cannot be kocked for long periods which would prematurely weaken the spring.

They're a lot of fun, relatively quiet, can shoot in your back yard, can be really accurate at closer ranges and a lot cheaper to shoot especially these days.

Even though i used to shoot competition muzzle loaders (patch 'n ball BP), have smokeless hi power, my favorite firearm rifles to shoot these days are my 45/70 Sharps with BP reloads....but when i'm in the mood for plinking beer cans i goto one of my air rifles.

That looks like one kickass rifle there.

By the way, that airgun scope should work just fine on your .22 once you get it sighted-in.

My custom cheap qb78. 7mm, 33" TJ barrel, 3000 psi fill, 98 gr bullets at 1000fps

mudpuppy said:
Great great hobby! Thats a beautiful rig there Ironsight!:drool:

Lots of my friends are into this...absolutely hooked and all...I have always been a small caliber/high accuracy guy anyway from what I can see, a nice .22 would be something important to have around for squirrels, turkeys, rabbits, chucks, raccoons, opossums, fox, etc...I suppose a well placed shot within range would easily kill a deer as well...like right on top of the head just off to the side in that thin spot by their ear..?
Mud

Mudpuppy the eye socket is the doorway to the brain so anything even a 177 will drop the biggest deer in seconds... not me though I only shoot the deer with traditional arrows,,, I only taken squirrels and rabbits bullfrogs with my 20cal Sheridan,,, no scopes because I always bump them or screw something up so the open sights seem to work the best for me,,, I'm looking for a decent hunting pistol or shoter barrel airgun for when wading around the edges of the water holes looking for bullfrogs sometimes I have to tuck the gun down inside the top of the waders to navigate those sunken logs..

I have a gamo .25 cal. break . big boy sure does hit hard never taken any wild hogs with it but what I have seen some guys do. .32 grain lead pelletts zipping at 800 fps is impressive to me. lol Will have to post pics.

ironsight said:
Hey mud, get that air rifle.
If you want a single kock break barrel, I would suggest a rifle with an air spring rather than a conventional steel spring.
Air spring rifles can be kocked for long periods which is great for hunting small game. Steel spring rifles cannot be kocked for long periods which would prematurely weaken the spring.

They're a lot of fun, relatively quiet, can shoot in your back yard, can be really accurate at closer ranges and a lot cheaper to shoot especially these days.

Even though i used to shoot competition muzzle loaders (patch 'n ball BP), have smokeless hi power, my favorite firearm rifles to shoot these days are my 45/70 Sharps with BP reloads....but when i'm in the mood for plinking beer cans i goto one of my air rifles.

That looks like one kickass rifle there.

By the way, that airgun scope should work just fine on your .22 once you get it sighted-in.

Snakes with a hi-power single kod, yes.

Coyotes? If you're talking off the shelf Wally World airguns, forget it.

There are some extremely high power large caliber airguns out there that could humanly take down a coyote.
I myself would never consider taking any game larger than a rabbit, etc. with a single kok air rifle.

I have no idea what a KOD is? I have not touched an air gun since my brother had a Sheridan rifle many years ago. Heck, are they made in Sheridan,Illinois?

-Tom

Tom,
Typlical graphlical error, kod. Should be kok!

The correct word for kok is apparently banned here which is the same word used for; rooster, stop valve or in this case the procedure to enable a gun for firing.
Everytime i used the correct word in past posts they automatically got cancelled.

Yeah, i got one of those Sheridan pump rifles too. Haven't used it in years, don't even know where it is offhand.

There are specialty high power airguns out there that are capable of taking down even big game. I understand Lewis and Clark had one on their famous Western expedition.