Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I enjoy shooting when I can go

I prefer the 16" version...;) it is my "long range" rifle...
eh15sgr.jpg
In that case, I've still got you covered. My original AR-180 should be right up your ally.

AR-180_02.JPG

I see some differences with the AR 15 M16. I did not know this rifle.

How much elevation is needed for a 1000 yd. shot from an original Sharps? Seems the bullet would have to hit on top of the head for a kill. Heck, I couldn't even see a man at 1000 yds unless he was waving a big red flag.

The arc peaks about 45 ft above the line of sight on a 1000 yds shot with a black powder rifle. If the sun is behind you, you can actually see the bullet and watch it go into the target and splat (steel gong target). This is with a telescope, 2.5 second flight time, roughly 1250 fps.

Don't underestimate the power of a 45 cal Sharps. It will go through 2 buffalo standing side by side (500 grn Gov round nose bullet). I never have recovered a bullet from an animal.

It will go through 4" of oak at a mile (late 1800s US Gov Sandy Hook testing)

I know it is not the best gauge for those extreme distances, but it is a gauge that I like for its versatility.
I am amazed at the smoothness of the action of that rifle. 3000 yards is too much!! :eek:

You guys are making me drool all over myself! At Adobe Wells, Texas there is a documented evidence that a buffalo hunter with a 50-70 hit and killed a commander of the enemy at over 1400 yards. I saw an article where people that said it wouldn't go that far and so they tested using military tracking on a similar bullet from a similar black powder load. If I remember right it stayed in the air 31 seconds when shot at its optimum angle. I don't remember the range that it traveled but the time astounded me. That's a big old hunk of lead. I'd say it would be lethal for quite a bit farther than 2.5 seconds out.
The last two times I went deer hunting I took my dad's old 30-30 and his old Winchester model 1895 30-40 Krag. Oh, one more thing, I tried using a load of 100 grains black powder equivalent load of Pyrodex and a Lee cast minnie ball (approx 500 grains) in my lightweight muzzleloader and it told me "sir, that's why the military used 70 grains!"

I found an article (Long Shot: Buffalo Hunters vs. Quanah Parker's Warrior) in April 2021 True West Magazine on Adobe Walls where Mike Venturino tested if the shot was possible (It was with 4 ½ degrees elevation) and that a similar load could go go 3600 yards. The actual shot was 1538 yards.

<snip> The last two times I went deer hunting I took my dad's old 30-30 and his old Winchester model 1895 30-40 Krag. <snip>
The very first deer I ever shot was with my Kraig (variant carbine).

51D6n6g.jpg

The winchester wood needs to be hydrated. ;)
Danish oil, for the winchester cylinder head.
But I prefer to prepare my own oil:
70% linseed oil
30% natural turpentine essence (not synthetic)

Test first on a piece of wood and if you like it, you can apply to the butt of the winchester

It's a joke, but it's what I use

The winchester wood needs to be hydrated. ;)
Danish oil, for the winchester cylinder head.
But I prefer to prepare my own oil:
70% linseed oil
30% natural turpentine essence (not synthetic)

Test first on a piece of wood and if you like it, you can apply to the butt of the winchester

It's a joke, but it's what I use
That gun isn't supposed to have a lustrous finish. Shiny guns are pretty, but not always practical for hunting weapons. :thumbup: