Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I found a coin that has me baffled...

ohiochris

Ive tried taking pictures of it but they dont come out good enough to see detail in the pic. Its the size of a dime or penny , thinner than dime or penny , has ridges around the edge like a dime , and I believe it to be silver. One side looks similar to this pic of a drawing I tried to make of it , and the other side says May 1818 with the " May" in cursive writing. Anybody seen anything like that ? Its new to me , maybe a masonic coin of some type ?

George Washington???? Good luck with the ID. Somebody here will know.

Heres the pics. I know I shouldnt have but I rubbed a little toothpaste on it to clear up some of the tarnish , then installed my old scanner to get the pics. Turns out the date is 1878 instead of 1818.

Thanks for posting a pix. Still don't know what it is but, it is a really nice find.
Good Luck with the ID.

They often used coins to make commemorative items. They would grind off one side and put an inscription there, sometimes on 2 sides. It could mark a significant date in that persons life. If you measure its size you might find it matches a coin size from that time. Then again they might have used a foreign coin.

I found a copper coin this summer that had almost all of both sides polished smooth but for a faint outline of Queen Victoria and 186 on he other side it was nothing but a polished disk of copper. No other text or details remained.

Nice find

HH 1859

Been running image against all the coin and token DBs that I have, with no success so far. Will let you know if I have any luck. Good find though.

I have to agree with you Marc, love tokens were very popular at that time and it looks like a dime to me.............:thumbup:

May 1878 Someones marriage?

Yeah it almost has to be a token of some kind , was hoping for rare coin but atleast its silver.....would have been nice to have the dime that it once was. Ya never know what you may find detecting along a river bank , this one surprised me.

using a silver or copper coin then file or sand smooth then engrave with dates,names,initials ect.... some date back quite a ways great find and look like thay used a dime to make the one you have
with a date of 1878 it would be a seated liberty dime too:thumbup: