Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I found my 1st Barber Quarter!

MickTwin

I had a blast this morning finding coins on a wind swept beach in NY today. Lot's of heavy fist sized stones were exposed on the surface due to a North Easter that hit a few days ago. Although I had to fill about 15 holes some jerk had left above the high tide line, I was rewarded with my first Barber quarter (1908d), a Barber dime (no date yet), 3 Mercs and a silver Rosie. I also found 11 encrusted Wheaties as well.

I used my Sovereign XS-2 Pro and brand new, Santa brought Sunspot Stealth 720 scoop to get the job done.

20121229125233938.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img37/5717/20121229125214554.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img28/1344/20121228185150543.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img23/7089/20121228185411869.jpg

BEAUTIFUL Coins! :thumbup: And congrats on your first Barber quarter. I can't be sure by the pic but that quarter might be sharp in detail? At least the stars/date make it look like it might be a sharp unworn one? If so that's a rare find. Most of my barber quarters or dimes, just like seateds, tend to be worn down due to heavy circulation.

IF they aren't worth anything money wise and are just common dates, I recently heard a real gentle way to clean them is by heating up a shot glass of peroxide in the microwave to a boil (careful, only takes about ten seconds maybe) and then throwing the coin in it (careful again, it'll fizz like crazy and might boil over). I *hear* it's a gentle way to clean a silver coin that *might* not be obvious to others, since no swirling from abrasion is taking place, and that you can time your soaking to make it various stages of "uncleaned". I've always just rubbed mine between my fingers with baking soda, or on really bad ones used a homemade electrolysis method, but only when the con held no numeristic value other than it's silver content for the most part. Never understood why coin collectors frowned on cleaning, so long as it's done not to swirl scratch the coin, but that's just me. I guess some find the darkened coin's patina beautiful. Not me, I want to see it shining like a chrome bumper on a 57 Chevy. :biggrin:

Again, GREAT finds there!

WTG. Your picture sent me to my gun safe to pull out my Barber qts'. Just don't get tired of looking at them.

WTG! I found my first one this year also. I just stared at it in disbelief at first.

:clapping:

Very nice, looks like theres a lot of definition on that coin still.

Ive got the older stealth scoop with the 90 degree angle handle that goes into the scoop. looks like they made a nice improvement in yours:clapping:
they are very well made scoops.

Nice scoop ,Nice Coins, Great job on covering up those holes,wasn't you but affects us all.Great job.:clapping: