Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I got two words for the TRX.

coondog

AWE -SUM!

I got mine in the mail today and took it out for an hour.

It performed outstanding!

I normally use two pointers the minlab and the pistilprob. This is because I hate digging big plugs, so I try to narrow my search, area down as much as possible. Shallow coins are easily extracted with a gasket scraper when you know exactly where they are at.
If the coin was too deep for the minlab I would use the pistilprob to get down about 3.5 inches but would require my machine to be turned off. That was a pain but it still saved time and energy.
Now with this thing I only need one and it is even deeper than the pulse pistilprob.

Bravo Whites Engineers Bravo!:clap:

My garrett pro pointer is getting tired out after 3 years hard use , I like the extra depth the trx offers , I will be buying a trx this year for sure , it looks nice too.

I'm not bias towards the TRX but I bought one because of people claiming it was better and goes deeper. After a week and a half of using it I went back to my beat up GaRRT. No offense to anyone I think it's a great pin pointer.

asiandigger said:
I'm not bias towards the TRX but I bought one because of people claiming it was better and goes deeper. After a week and a half of using it I went back to my beat up GaRRT. No offense to anyone I think it's a great pin pointer.

Explain why you went back to the garrett if you would as I'm looking into
my first time pinpointer purchase and would like to here others opinions...

duggr said:
asiandigger said:

Explain why you went back to the garrett if you would as I'm looking into
my first time pinpointer purchase and would like to here others opinions...
I don't like to make bad comments about the TRX,,, but will share this info. I ran across a target and the TRX could not detect it but my GRRT did. (Not sure why it was on the highest sensitivity). That's why, maybe I should give it some more chance, and another thing I notice is it's not as loud ( hard time hearing it with head phone on) and last is that the material seems pretty cheap. NO OFFENSE GUYS. Maybe this info will help Whites develop a louder one with better material LOL.

that the material seems pretty cheap.

I've heard this before from others!

First if you want it as loud or louder than the GP just take out the seal over the speaker hole. Then it will just get water in the hole like the GP. I've had mine (empty case under water for hours) with no leak. It floats. :rofl:

If you think the TRX plastic is cheaper, just put a cover over the tip like people put on the GP. With the removal of one screw the inners of the TRX just slide out with no problem of breaking anything. Then you will be able to get a new case from Whites. No need to send in the TRX or patch the case.

Yep, the difference in case is we didn't fill the case with epoxy. One can do that - then they have a heavier pinpointer and it will feel more solid. Otherwise, not much difference - same plastic and I think the same thickness. It's just lighter because it's not jampacked with epoxy.

I'm not the plastic person - but yep, verified to be the same thickness. So what people are feeling different is the epoxy around the coil in the GPP. It does have an effect on the perception of how strong the case is. But, the case around the electronics is no weaker. And the only reason the case around the coil would be stronger on the GPP is the epoxy. Which if anything were to cause the case to break - I'd guess the weight of the epoxy would help make the other part of the case to break. That's not been an issue from anything I've heard and I'm really sure it won't be an issue for ours. I have tossed multiple units up in the air and let them drop on the concrete - tip first, flat on the side, bottoms up, and none broke. That's not to say that that kind of abuse won't cause one to break (I wouldn't want to do this to something I paid for), but none that I did broke. I'm only 5'4", so I'd guess they did have a drop distance of 6' or so. I was just chucking them up and letting gravity do its thing.

As for the target that didn't get seen - I've not seen that. So, no help on that one - what kind of a target was it? The TRX does do best if you grab the ground when you turn it on - away from the target of course (either by turning it on and put it to the ground within the first 3 seconds of turn on, or by pushing the button when getting to the ground. And the button push will be more accurate on grabbing the ground.

This is the first negative post about the trx I have read about. I am still going to buy a trx. I don't base any purchase on what I read on forums and neither should any one else. There is so much crap to read everywhere. I will buy a trx and post my unbiased tests.
Should it not be as good as the "G" other one I would keep it any way. I can't see there been too much difference between them but I must admit the "g" lacks some times on depth.

asiandigger said:
I don't like to make bad comments about the TRX,,, but will share this info. I ran across a target and the TRX could not detect it but my GRRT did. (Not sure why it was on the highest sensitivity). That's why, maybe I should give it some more chance, and another thing I notice is it's not as loud.

Possibly the problem is you are using the TRX like the Pro Pointer and that doesn't work. The TRX depth is concentrated in the tip of the unit, with very little on the shaft. The Pro Pointer has depth at the tip and just as much if not a little more at the top of the shaft.

That means if the target is an inch away in the dirt on the side of the plug and you stick the TRX down in the bottom of the hole and move it around you probably won't find it, whereas the Pro Pointer probably would with that technique.

You have to move the tip of the TRX around the exposed area of the plug because that is where the power is concentrated.

As was previously said, the unprotected speaker is a weak point of the Pro Pointer. If you want to preserve it, you have to put a piece of tape or something to cover it. And when you do that, the TRX is actually louder.

When I get time, I'll post my review of the TRX and comparison to the Pro Pointer on the Metal Detecting Forum here.

I've been using Pro Pointers since 2008 and I've been a huge fan ever since. The TRX has by no means made it obsolete. But the TRX is, IMO, a definite advancement in pinpointers.

GPP was my main pinpointer until I traded for a TRX. I have been using the TRX for several weeks now with no complaints or problems. I do believe it goes deeper than my GPP, if you turn it on away from any metal and then point it straight down, vertically toward the ground at the target. I normally get coins pinpointed down to about 4" in my soil (which is mild). My GPP does pretty good at about 3". So not a huge difference. I have the TRX set at 3 sensitivity so I could get more depth if I increased it but it gets a little chatty. I like the faster detune feature on the TRX which helps to zero in on the target once the plug is open. The GPP will do this too, but you have to turn it off and then back on so TRX is a little faster or re/detune. However, the GPP turns on faster than the TRX, but not enough to matter to me. I think both are excellent choices. I use the 9V in the TRX. Just my 2 cents.

What I generally do is i go o U-Tube and atch all the videos on both there is one there that they person bought both and did the air test and the TRX beat the Garrett then in the field the Garrett work better. I always check all the videos. I'm sure both are excellent pinpointers. You can't go wrong with either one.

Don't believe all the videos, many are made to deceive or the user does not know how to properly use the device. The TRX is head and shoulders above the GPP, I own and use both.

Just from reading this its clear most of the so called problems are simple misunderstandings of how the TRX works, I still want one . 4" on a coin is really good ,

It's been hard for me to find any negatives with the TRX and really appreciate the advancements it has brought to the table. Does it make the Garrett "old" fresh fish? I like the feel of the Garrett and that will always keep me using it some for certain types of hunting. But.......it will probably be "convenience of the grab" and most likely getting fully comfortable with the feel of the TRX will keep it "more convenient"? (I'm just glad I have both of them.)

Better weather is here and really looking forward to getting the TRXs' advancements "core" and blended into my hunting habits.

When I first got the TRX I was kind of upset with it. It was very erratic and didn't really pinpoint all that great. It definitely does not agree with the Garrett Infinium. I have to move the detector away from it when I bend down to pinpoint.

My impression of it has all since changed. I just didn't know how to use it properly. I finally figured out how to change the sensitivity, vibration mode and the pitch of the beep.

I usually run it in sensitivity of 2 with vibration and beep together. I also set it so the pitch is a much higher tone so it seems a little louder.

The only bad thing I could say is the vibration is not that strong. Other than that it's pretty darned awesome.

marcomo said:
asiandigger said:
I don't like to make bad comments about the TRX,,, but will share this info. I ran across a target and the TRX could not detect it but my GRRT did. (Not sure why it was on the highest sensitivity). That's why, maybe I should give it some more chance, and another thing I notice is it's not as loud.

Possibly the problem is you are using the TRX like the Pro Pointer and that doesn't work. The TRX depth is concentrated in the tip of the unit, with very little on the shaft. The Pro Pointer has depth at the tip and just as much if not a little more at the top of the shaft......

I agree with that!
After using the Garrett and Minelab PPers for years, the TRX took a little getting used to. First time i used it, i also didn't like it. Once its understood it detects at the tip and the top of the shank with a dead zone in between, IMO it beats the Garrett and Minelab hands down, no contest, especially with the Minelab.

I've got about 50 hours on the TRX and it seldom if ever falsed unlike my Garrett. It also detects noticeably deeper than my Garrett.
I also like the ratchet down sensitivity feature. Its now my goto PPer.

Only complaint is the speaker is way too quiet in a noisy environment with headphones on. Luckily its also got a robust vibrate mode.
Might try removing the seal over the speaker one of these days as i don't water hunt or detect in the rain...i'm a fair weather detectorist!!! LOL!!

I had been using a Harbor Freight previously. I have never used a garrett, so can't compare it. I bought the trx, used it once so far. The tip-sensitive feature seemed less convenient when checking through the dirt out of the hole, but I read one comment that the base also transmits, and I just checked and that's true. So it should be able to cover more area by laying the rod lengthwise over the dirt, as I used to do with the HF.

convenient ratcheting is a necessary feature in my opinion (even the HF you can increase and decrease sensitivity with the knob), the depth is fantastic so I was getting exact spots to dig the hole, and the pinpoint tip is extremely precise. I hope that means fewer damaged targets. None were damaged on my first run with it.

I like that it uses AA batteries. I use nimh AA's, so its ridiculously cheap and convenient to power this pinpointer. Finally, all my smoke alarms will stop beeping.

Update! Update!

I have now used the TRX for 2 months and would like to share my analysis of it so far. But first let me respond to some of the issues mentioned.

Cheaper plastic? Really? How do we know without smashing a few? It's just liter with a slick surface, so gives the feel of cheaper. So could be improved upon.

Not loude enough with earphones on? I can't hear any pointer with earphones covering my ears, so I just slide them below my ears while digging. Now the pistilprob was tough to hear! So big improvement there! Had to stick my good ear in the hole with that one in the noisy environments . No more ring around the ear for me. Not to bad mouth the pistilprob it helped allot on the deep stuff, and with its unique shape it kept most curiosity seekers at a distance. Was always worried about getting shot by ower Barney Fifes out there though. Many people have been shot dead in this country for holding things that look much more less than a gun than the pistilprob. You would not know that though if you just see mainstream government media.

As far as a Garrett performing as good on distance in the field, not a chance in heck! There is no way a Garrett is going to get 4 inches on a quarter. I got rid of my Garrett because I was tiered of digging deep holes only to find my target later inside the plug that my TRX would have found instantly.

The TRX not picking up metal that a Garrett did. Just operater error. Some metal was picked up while it was ground grabbing. Takes awhile to get used to that.

Now let me address some things I don't like about it.

Takes about 4 seconds to ground grab. I'm not an electronic engineer but I think that just goes with its long range abilities. A necessary evil you might say.

Another issue I don't like is in trashy areas it may pick up trash at top of hole and sound like it's deep in hole. This is something else that maybe a necessary evil, I don't know.

I bought mine because I wanted to save time on shallow clad that's not worth the effort of digging a plug and to prevent damage to valuable deep coins. The TRX does exactly what I hoped it would do. I always thought it was silly to have to dig a plug to find a coin 2 lnches below the surface. Now I easley pop them with a gasket scrapper. Saves time saves grass saves my joints from pain and for those reasons saves money because you bring home more because you are now more efficient.

For the real shallow stuff I find it easier to just use my minlab pointer. It fires up faster and scans ground faster with its side scan ability. So yes I carry 2 pointer in my bag. I already know how deep most targets are from my detecter and know which pointer to grab before my knee touches the ground.

I can see why some hunters might not really need a TRX, but for the deep coin hunter it is awesome. No more damaged coins. And no more elusive targets that hide on the side of the hole just out of reach of your average pointer.

Here is a pic of what was my most valuable coin to date , that is before I gashed it with my shovel because my average pointer could not tell me where it was.

WARNING!!! WARNING!! VERY GRAPHIC PHOTO BELOW! It hurts just to look at it.

And this is why I bought and love the TRX.