Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I have a problem

I live in a small town in Missouri, there are several old churches and a few parks that we are allowed to hunt. My problem is, for the past couple of months when I go to these places, there's someone who has been detecting who's giving us a bad reputation. I can tell it's the same person because he digs these 12-14 inch round holes that are only about an inch and a half deep (which kills the grass and leave these big round dead spots everywhere) and he just sits the trash next to the hole. I have no idea who it is, because I've never seen him. I have driven around to these places trying to catch him out there, but no luck, and he's really making me mad. Does anyone have any suggestions? The people that I know and hunt with always leave the place looking just the way we found, I'm afraid that he's going to spoil it for the rest of us.

Mike

he doesnt really sound like the sort of guy that will take any advice im afraid so if you do see him i would try and detect near him with a cloth or whatever you use and fill the hole in in front of him but i do not think it will make any difference because he just doesnt care its a different mentality to you and i and i do agree it is likely to get you stopped in these places what a shame but hey dont forget anyone can carry a weapon so be wary about shooting your mouth off at him as i know that is what i would feel like doing KEEP SAFE HAPPY HUNTING

sugar said:
he doesnt really sound like the sort of guy that will take any advice im afraid so if you do see him i would try and detect near him with a cloth or whatever you use and fill the hole in in front of him but i do not think it will make any difference because he just doesnt care its a different mentality to you and i and i do agree it is likely to get you stopped in these places what a shame but hey dont forget anyone can carry a weapon so be wary about shooting your mouth off at him as i know that is what i would feel like doing KEEP SAFE HAPPY HUNTING

Thanks Sugar, that's my first instinct too, to ask "What in the h*** are you doing?" but I don't think it would matter much to him.

You also might talk to someone in the parks department or at these churches and tell them there is someone that is doing damage and it's not you or your hunting partner's. explain the situation to them and tell them you go by a code of ethics to protect your hobby. Maybe they can get with local authorities and keep a eye out for him and put a stop to his destructive ways:veryangry:. This way at least they know it's not you and at the rate it's going they will be banning detecting anyway so you really have nothing to loose. Just my 2 cents. HH.

pointer80 said:
You also might talk to someone in the parks department or at these churches and tell them there is someone that is doing damage and it's not you or your hunting partner's. explain the situation to them and tell them you go by a code of ethics to protect your hobby. Maybe they can get with local authorities and keep a eye out for him and put a stop to his destructive ways:veryangry:. This way at least they know it's not you and at the rate it's going they will be banning detecting anyway so you really have nothing to loose. Just my 2 cents. HH.

I agree with that method 100%..

I highly suggest that you do not talk to the local parks department or other authority and make them aware of some jerk digging holes, Unless you would like to never hunt in these areas again. 99% of them are overwhelmed understaffed and are doing what they can to do there jobs...It is my opinion that they would do the easiest thing to make there job easier and that is tell everyone NO DETECTING. My best bud Chief of police and City parks employee associates reflect this very view every time the discussion comes up about my favorite hobby, no matter how GOOD I explain it they really don't care and have no reason to give any real thought to it as long as they don't have to do anything about it or fix something
. There interest is to minimize work and trouble.
You would do better to only tell and show them positive things about your hobby (called spin) Spin the best story you can with all the honesty and responsibility you can. Take responsibility for the jerk and his digs as there are no DETECTING POLICE and they will appreciate that 100 times more if they see that you bring no worries to them and take worries off there hands.
Sorry to sound so UN Civil but that is there Idea of Citizenship and Government...regulate the masses to minimize the worries. Maybe your area is different but at least ask someone involved in the parks department outside of your area of detecting before you make your next step.

If The Jerk can be found then all you can do is let him know that he is going to get you all kicked out of your best spots, IF you make him a friend and tell him bout the stuff you have found in those areas and IF HE IS WILLING to listen to you then it will make a difference.

IF that doesn't work then I suggest you tell him about some field out of town where you found some Old Gold coins ... I'm sure hell start spending more time there trying to find the spot you described.

I appreciate the advice, but it sounds like a catch 22. I'll let you know what happens if I ever see the guy detecting.

Mike