Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I have been hunting a Beach with my Excal II in & out of the water that has a lot of iron in it & it's getting time consuming to swing

the coil back over the scoop to get my Threshold back....so here is my question if I just let it stay in null am I missing any targets & am I losing any depth.....also will I miss any deep targets because the null threshold is on the loud side of a normal threshold...Thanks for any help......HH...Tab.

that is a great question tab hunter and one ive sort of been pondering myself... it seems to me that you wont miss the obvious targets while waiting for the threshold to come back but it certainly cant help when it comes to the deeper whisper signals.... im of the opinion that you could easily miss smaller and deeper targets .... I can relate to the frustration of waiting for the threshold to return.... sometimes I get tired of waiting and just keep right on swinging....it sometimes seems like the threshold will come back at the exact same time I swing over a new target..... that's my take on it but im interested in other peoples opinions on this as well... great question again,

nulling is a response to a target and although the threshold is lost its reset to locate another target is the same as if you had hit a coin target which would produce a high pitch tone. In other words you can locate another target whether the detector is either nulling or responding via a high pitched tone. what you more have to be careful of is the reset time which isnt to fast on the sov so targets that are close to each other are gonna require really slow swings to seperate them up better.

I agree with Neil as it is still seeing and responding to any target that is there. The Sovereigns keep the tone of the last target it see until it sees another one and by going slow give it a better chance to see it verses swinging faster. In my case with the Sovereign I hear more of the low growl of iron when the threshold come back, when it sees any iron it will null and come back with the low tone growl until it see the next target. So I just swing the coil and I hear the null of iron or any target rejected and make sure it is not at a solid null as I am swing the coil too fast. The tone has to be coming and going as you know it is seeing the targets with a null or a tone. Like I say I hear more low tone growls as it always seem to see more iron and being it holds the tone of the last target, but if it sees a high conductivity target it will put the tone high pitched very fast unless you are swinging the coil too fast and miss it.
I am sure this is the same as the Excalibur too.

Rick

Simple answer is NO the increased threshold doesnt seem to affect depth so there is no need to keep using that scoop method. You get used to the changing threshold and its telling you something...... most of the time you just went over iron, BUT if you are getting to much nulling it could also mean you are running to much sensitivity. You get that especially in the deeper salt water and is something you have to realize is happening because NULLS decrease depth..... its coil shut down. Much like a sponge the coil halo reduces in size everytime it passes over a target or even false nulls. Ive done a good bit of testing on those louder thresholds and found as long as you set the machine threshold initially correct it makes no difference. Im not a fan of that loud threshold, but my machine seems to hit on targets as good if not better. It may well be because the louder threshold lets you hear more of whats going on. Pitch Hold is different that setting most detectors threshold to loud where targets dont break the threshold.

Dew

I agree with Dewcon.....One of the perks of the remote Pin Point, a quick flip of the switch to pp and back resets the threshold. Also you know every target under the coil when in PP, knowing this you can single out targets in cluttered area's that normally would have been missed in discriminate mode by the null of a iron targets. Singling out targets is just a matter of zeroing in on the target in PP with the wiggle/wiggle then a quick flip of the remote to discriminate to check with the WWiggle.

That's a good question, and some great answers and information. I can see how that remote PP Switch can add some efficiency and speed to the hunt. It takes some time to switch back and forth on the Disc/PP knob, also taking your eyes off the target to do so. I'm sure that will be another modification that I will be considering to the Excal.:)

Good info in this thread, thanks to all for sharing it.
If that loud growl threshold really bothers you, I have found that raising the coil to almost the surface of the water while wading resets it also.

Helloeverybody.
They say put a Coin,Carabiner, Earring,whatever, on your Shoe,to reset that Target Tone from the last annoying Target.
Ken