Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I have never seen this before

bula

The other day I was out for a bit & as I finished up on a tot lot I saw a fellow getting out of this truck with a MD. I walked over & said your new around here & he replies ya but I have been hunting for a long time. I noticed that he was sporting a new MXT Pro & as I looked down at the coil (12") I noticed that he had a 3/8 x 3 inch steel bolt holding on his coil. I'll bet that is hard to hunt with does it not interfere with your machine? no it works good. He then asked where he could hunt & I tell him a few spots knowing he is not going to find much. Before leaving I told him where he could get a plastic bolt & suggested it might help.

bula said:
The other day I was out for a bit & as I finished up on a tot lot I saw a fellow getting out of this truck with a MD. I walked over & said your new around here & he replies ya but I have been hunting for a long time. I noticed that he was sporting a new MXT Pro & as I looked down at the coil (12") I noticed that he had a 3/8 x 3 inch steel bolt holding on his coil. I'll bet that is hard to hunt with does it not interfere with your machine? no it works good. He then asked where he could hunt & I tell him a few spots knowing he is not going to find much. Before leaving I told him where he could get a plastic bolt & suggested it might help.

At one time about ALL coil screws were brass or steel, in later years they changed to plastic or nylon.
On the older detectors the metal screws didn't hurt anything, but I figured that with the more modern units and the increase of sensitivity the metal screws got to be a bad idea.

Mark

It should work fine in discrimination (motion) mode because the bolt is not moving in relation to the coil but it will greatly reduce the All Metal (non motion) pinpoint mode sensitivity because it would pick up the bolt. ( I would think)

There used to be a product you could buy for the older Whites (6000 Pro XL I think?) that you would attach to the shaft right on top of the coil and it would "load" the machine in such a way as to ignore I think hot rocks or iron rich soil as that's what it contained. On modern detectors I wouldn't trust any metal near any coil. I would figure that has to hurt performance in some way, especially if it is moving even a tad as you sweep.

You would not be able to get a good GB I would think, and as stated, in motion modes, it should not be much of a prob, but all-metal, I think it would throw the detector off...Might even be like discriminating up to the point of the metal used in the bolt.

HH,

[size=large]would seem to be the best way to not have concerns is to replace with a plastic set. cost all of two dollars @ h.d.

HH[/size]