Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I just can’t do it!

Diggindumbstuff

So admittedly, I am a White’s guy. I have been swinging a MXT Pro for about 8 years or so. Before that was a Silver Eagle for about 3 years preceded by a 2b and a 4900d for a year or so. For some time now I have wanted to try something different, but I just can’t do it. I have found many many awesome coins, relics and countless dumb stuff, that I enjoy very much. But I can’t help but wonder what I am missing.
3 things that have kept me from getting something different are the SunRay DX-1 probe, Detech 8x5 SEF coil and “Alternate”Prospecting mode. Probably a close 4th is the price of detectors that I think would be any better. None of which are White’s machines.
I’m thinking about getting the U13 but is that really gonna ease my wondering? Not to mention my shoulder and elbow just aren’t what they used to be.
So I guess what i’m looking for is someone that has jumped ship and glad they did. I would love to hear from all lovers and haters. I am not a defender of White’s letting time pass them by. I just need someone to either kick me off the edge or pull me back. No worries, I don’t get butt hurt like some folks on here. I appreciate everyone that takes time to make this forum great!
I hunt anywhere on land that I can. From central Indiana with seemingly very mild soil.

I'm not going to try to talk you on, or off, the Whites ledge. I think staying/leaving is entirely up to you.

I bought the Etrac because it was the "greatest" machine. Then the CTX 3030 came out; and it was the "greatest" machine ever. Everyone who was anyone had to have one, or be left behind; capable of finding only recently dropped zincs and perhaps mower slaw. I'm not saying either machine was bad, but I didn't gel with them. I didn't care for the way they operated, the way they swung, or the performance I was seeing.

I asked (local dealer) about the V3i - a machine that had intrigued me - and was told that it had been surpassed by the CTX 3030 (it would be a waste of time buying one).

I decided to go with my gut and bought the V3i.

I loved it and still love it. I believe it is still one of the best machines on the market. Not perfect by any means, but I gel with it and enjoy using it.

I sold the CTX 3030.

Then I bought a MX5 - and loved it. Quick, light weight, and a terrific machine.

That led me to the MX Sport. Again, I believe it is one of the better machines currently on the market.

I honestly don't know if the Whites machines are any better than the Minelab machines. I know the Whites machines suit me better - and that is all that matters for my use.

Your mileage may vary (naturally). Your needs/likes/wants are going to be different; your dirt will be somewhat different, your habits will be different, your desired targets may be different.

I am convinced that the machine itself isn't the most important factor. I think a good hunter will have success with any of the major brands - once they learn their machine. Others may well disagree - which is perfectly fine.

I likely leave good targets behind. I know I'd leave good targets behind if I was using a machine that I didn't gel with; more importantly, I wouldn't enjoy the hobby much if I was using a machine that I didn't gel with.

I found the two Minelabs (I owned) to be frustrating and annoying - not the experience that most seem to have with those machines.

To be fair I have not used any of the machines currently in vogue (Deus, Orx, Nox). Maybe I'm missing out, but I seriously doubt it.

I do find the latest machine from Garretts to be interesting, but I really doubt I'll get one. I also find the Anfibio really interesting, but it isn't enough different from the Kruzer (which I have) to get my money. I think the Vista X (Deeptech) seems like a good machine too, but doubt that I'll ever take the step of purchasing one. I'm just not convinced that any of those machines will make a big difference for me.

I'd probably open my wallet if Whites comes out with a waterproof (and lighter weight) version of the V3i. I'd probably be inclined to try the multi-frequency machine that Nokta/Makro is working on. There's one other machine (in the works) that really captivates my interest - but I'm not at liberty to talk about it.

My two cents [ or is it three cents ] hi hi. anyway Ive owned several different brands I now own a multi kruzer,simplex,mxsport that I just bought used got a good deal on it. I bought the simplex and mxsport mostly for water hunting .but for my stile of land hunting my dfx is my first love. It sniffeds out gold jewerly like no other im sure the v31 an vx3 or good but not for me. ive been using the dfx for 18 years. ive owned eagle spectrum, xlt, m6, now dfx which ive swing far longer then any detector ive owned. I like the kruzer but I must sale a detector for I have more then I need.Ive even thought about trying to trade the kruzer for a mx7. same electronics as the sport.anyway I guess I put in 5 cents worth.H.H.

I'm from Georgia and basically a relic hunter. I too swing the Whites MXT Pro. I really like the MXT. It is a good all around detector and you don't have to spend all your time trying to set it up instead of hunting. I have had the MXT for about four years now. I bought a nice used Minelab Safari a while back but I haven't had that much of a chance to use it much, but the times I have used it, I like it too. I had thought a while back about selling my MXT, but changed my mind and I'm glad I did. I believe both the MXT and the Safari are both keepers.

Thank you Confetrit for your reply, and for your service!
You are welcome on both counts. I always like to tell folks that I served in the Corps and was proud to serve my country. I am a veteran, but I was one of the lucky ones. I served from 1976-1979 just after Vietnam. I did not have to go through the Hell of war like so many before me Or many after.

With every new machine I think we all wonder if I get that machines will its performance be enough of an improvement that I will find enough more stuff that it is worth the investment. Or does that machine just have a bunch of bells and whistles that add considerably to the expense. While the question is unanswered we continue to wonder. So I keep swinging what I own and keep enjoying the finds.

I've owned a Fisher F5 for about 6 years now and it's a darn good detector, never owned a Whites but one thing I can say for sure is that each year I've gotten better with this machine by using it and learning it's language.
I've said this before but it's worth saying again " Beware of the man who owns one gun, he probably knows how to use it".
The time you've spent working with your Whites machine is worth it's weight in GOLD!

Let me add... 90% of my hunting anymore is in my own yard, fields and a former yard of yesteryear. Normally minimum of 5 days a week, unless the ground is frozen. Even then I have some woods to hunt. So I have been hunting the beep out of this place for 10 years. Understandably the finds are becoming less and less. Lots of square nails and barbed wire bits and farm iron. Depth isn’t really a concern but separation is key. Years ago I come across a random hijacked thread where some feller was talking about “Alt Mode”. Thinking I knew everything about the MXT Pro, this took me by surprise. And it was seemingly faster and sounded so much better and handled EMI better and didn’t blow your ears off and did start uncovering more and more. But after years of that I just wonder if I have kinda gotten all she can give.Anyway.... sorry , get kinda jacked up and ramble. I appreciate you all! Well most of you anyway.

You are welcome on both counts. I always like to tell folks that I served in the Corps and was proud to serve my country. I am a veteran, but I was one of the lucky ones. I served from 1976-1979 just after Vietnam. I did not have to go through the Hell of war like so many before me Or many after.

Thank you for your service & that is about the same time as my brother (1-1/2 years younger than me) served in the Army & actually helped clean up Viet Nam after the war, I think! He saw a lot of Germany's castles while there. My other brother, lots younger, a twin to my sister, served in the Navy right after he & sis graduated in 1964! He helped repair the planes & was on the USS Midway & maybe one other ship! He said, All he saw was the sea! When he got out he rode a motorcycle all the way from California to his home in SE Missouri. Both brothers were sure glad to be home & we were glad they arrived back home in good condition--but I think my Navy brother suffered mentally when on the aircraft carriers & saw the planes' miss landing okay many times with death & injuries to the pilots for he had to help keep the planes repaired in good shape & flying!! God Bless! Ma Betty

Thank you for your service & that is about the same time as my brother (1-1/2 years younger than me) served in the Army & actually helped clean up Viet Nam after the war, I think! He saw a lot of Germany's castles while there. My other brother, lots younger, a twin to my sister, served in the Navy right after he & sis graduated in 1964! He helped repair the planes & was on the USS Midway & maybe one other ship! He said, All he saw was the sea! When he got out he rode a motorcycle all the way from California to his home in SE Missouri. Both brothers were sure glad to be home & we were glad they arrived back home in good condition--but I think my Navy brother suffered mentally when on the aircraft carriers & saw the planes' miss landing okay many times with death & injuries to the pilots for he had to help keep the planes repaired in good shape & flying!! God Bless! Ma Betty
Thanks to your brothers service also Ma Betty.

Thanks to your brothers service also Ma Betty.

Thank you but both have passed away! My Navy brother by suicide ( our family on mom's side suffers with clinical depression & have had many attempts but Larry succeeded & devastated us --SAD) & my Army brother by an incurable disease Pulmonary Arterial Disease (PAH)--he smoked & worked on Army Equipment & then Automobiles all his life but stopped smoking in his 60's which was not good! Larry never smoked but worked with autos, too!--Damaging to lungs & arteries!- I really do miss them both! Ma Betty

So sorry to hear of your brother's passing. Suicide is a terrible, devastating thing. I lost a first cousin a few years back to suicide. He was a few years older than myself and we grew up pretty close. We both grew up on either side of our Grandparents house. His wife had passed away fairly young due to an illness and he estranged himself from the rest of the family for about the last 10 years of his life. It was tough too because our family had always been close.

Diggingdumbstuff,

A little over 5 years ago, I decided to do a little shake out. i had been doing the same thing for a very, very long time. Long story short. It was refreshing to change things up. I've added areas of detecting I've done little with in the past 40+ years and am greatly enjoying it.

Best of luck -

Rich -

You and your MXT Pro seem to be a really good fit. I can understand why you might want to try something different though. I have swung every current Whites VLF detector except for the V3i which is just too much of a learning curve project for me and the one I tried did not like EMI which I have plenty off. I really liked Whites MX7. I also really like the DFX. Unfortunately, Whites has not chosen to make a really light weight mid-level detector for those of us that need something lighter in our older age. They did make the Treasuremaster and Treasurepro but those are not even a step sideways. Compared to the MXT Pro and MX7 they are a mile of steps backwards.

I like the Equinox a lot. Some of the tones remind me of the MXT Pro and MX7. I tried the XP Deus for awhile but it was not what I needed. I do have the XP ORX for prospecting and for a grab and go. It is a fairly simple to use, extremely lightweight, very good detector. It is great for gold prospecting and for non-ferrous relics in heavy iron trash. The Nokta Makro detectors that I have owned and used, (Racer 2, Gold Racer, Kruzer, and Gold Kruzer) were all excellent detectors. They just had one or two features I didn't like, were missing important features, and their not so great performance in high mineralization and EMI made me chose a different detector in the long run.

Just my very site specific, definitely biased experiences.
Jeff