Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I just purchased the Legend.

This is my opinion only. I like the Legend very much, but If I have used default settings for more than 5 minutes, I'd be surprised. I always use either all metal or ground because, to me, the iron tone is very useful. I first set up 4 tones to break where I wanted in Park mode, the first a couple of numbers into iron, second where a nickel breaks, and the third just after zinc comes in. Now I find field mode with 60 tones more useful. I can tell how jumpy the numbers are without looking at the screen and investigate hidden high tone squeakers that hit in the same place. Pitch mode is also useful in high iron areas. If the default was all that was available on the detector, I would not have one. One tone that starts after small foil doesn't seem like the hot setup to me. I set it up how I like and then learn and tweak it from there.

I'm a total tech misfit and managed to do the update to 1.11. If this is a new machine from a dealer I am surprised they would sell one that was not updated with the latest.
I was wondering the same thing, if the new versions of the Legend came with the update. Would make sense. Mark

I'm a total tech misfit and managed to do the update to 1.11. If this is a new machine from a dealer I am surprised they would sell one that was not updated with the latest.
Most of them are not updated to 1.11 when you buy a new legend. I guess a version 1.12 will come maybe before this year is out. or early next year I think 1.11 is approaching the pinnacle of updates.
i can't fault 1.11 it does what i want.

Like any product, there are models that are new, but just a few months old. You could go back to the dealer and ask them to perform the update.

What I find encouraging is Nokta seems to continually improve their new and existing products.

This is my opinion only. I like the Legend very much, but If I have used default settings for more than 5 minutes, I'd be surprised. I always use either all metal or ground because, to me, the iron tone is very useful. I first set up 4 tones to break where I wanted in Park mode, the first a couple of numbers into iron, second where a nickel breaks, and the third just after zinc comes in. Now I find field mode with 60 tones more useful. I can tell how jumpy the numbers are without looking at the screen and investigate hidden high tone squeakers that hit in the same place. Pitch mode is also useful in high iron areas. If the default was all that was available on the detector, I would not have one. One tone that starts after small foil doesn't seem like the hot setup to me. I set it up how I like and then learn and tweak it from there.
Absolutely agree. Could you give us a tutorial.
Though this guy just bought the machine.
And I truly feel he should understand how it walks an talks before he starts making changes

Maybe if you could walk him through that tuning procedure it would be very beneficial for him.

I've recommended and loaned the Simplex to many people coming from beep an dig or ding dong Ace's. It performs very well and won't break the bank if it's not for you. And mostly it'll give a fell of a real machine.
Before grabbing a Legend or Nox.
Which really can overwhelm most.
Unknowing and playing with settings.
Can make for a bad experience.

Being new to the Legend and Manticore myself.
If it weren't for OllKoot. I'd be lost.
Why I suggested guiding Coinguy.
Though my old Explorer is tunable.
These two go way beyond it.
With my limited ability to get out.
Their going to take awhile to learn them.

Thanks for the advice Odanscoils and oldkoot! I am taking it slow reading the new updates and playing with it. Will keep factory settings for awhile to get the hang of it. will be monitoring this form and am sure to ask questions!
If you're going to play with it.
May I suggest you save to one of the 4 custom save slots. Keeping the rest of the machine factory.
Thankfully. You can always do a resest if you mess it up.

Before the Legend I tried the simplex, sounded too much like a goose so I sold it. Before that Several White's, Tesoro's, tried a Garrett Ace 350, didn't like to doorbell sounds. I miss the tones of the White's and Tesoro's.
yeah that dying duck sound the Simplex makes for tones is the only thing I do not Like about the Simplex Plus, sounds like someone has a goose by the throat and it refuses to die, also sounds pretty close to that afflac goose LOL

I'm still not a fan of the tones but trying to get used to them which is easier said than done.
you do realize that the tones are completely adjustable I hope, you can adjust the volumes and the pitches to what you like, that is why I like the Legend it is a highly adjustable detector that you can pretty much configure how you want it.

you pretty much just described how I set my legend up also.

yeah that dying duck sound the Simplex makes for tones is the only thing I do not Like about the Simplex Plus, sounds like someone has a goose by the throat and it refuses to die, also sounds pretty close to that afflac goose LOL
Though I'm deef. It sounds like my oll MXT.
Though must faster.

you pretty much just described how I set my legend up also.
Except for lowering to 8 on the notch as you showed me. And adjusting pitch to where I can hear it. I'm deef. Don't hear high tones very well. I'm running stock setting's. The Legend seems to be running just fine for me that way.

Dunedin Florida dirt (aka sand)
That's an interesting location. I've heard of treasure stories along the gulf side.
Having recently retired. Still looking for my snowbird location. Don't think I could handle that humidity. Home sticker shock another.

My two cents here…..
I know this is going to be a boring suggestion but…. Work a small area in default and use brightly colored golf tees to mark your first finds. Then make some minor adjustments and rescan the same area but use another color tee. Now see what, and try to understand why, you didnt get them the first time. Do it a third time.
Im more the visual type so when I see the color patterns appear it helps me to understand. Usually first pass is obvious but comparatively shallow finds followed by smaller yet deeper. You get the picture.
The Custom settings are nice but I keep a small notebook and record everything from GB numbers to Sens.
The detector is like a good car, only as good as the driver.

My two cents here…..
I know this is going to be a boring suggestion but…. Work a small area in default and use brightly colored golf tees to mark your first finds. Then make some minor adjustments and rescan the same area but use another color tee. Now see what, and try to understand why, you didnt get them the first time. Do it a third time.
Im more the visual type so when I see the color patterns appear it helps me to understand. Usually first pass is obvious but comparatively shallow finds followed by smaller yet deeper. You get the picture.
The Custom settings are nice but I keep a small notebook and record everything from GB numbers to Sens.
The detector is like a good car, only as good as the driver.
I found this interesting.
Legend on the gold test.

Looks like Im going back to the park with the small coil……