Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I might have to buy one or two.

JC99328

I've been digging a bit over 1 1/2 years. I'm starting to think the only way to get an old coin or even a silver one is to buy it.......

1 1/2 years and my "old coins" are 5, count'em 5, wheat pennies. Only one before 1950, a 1940.

Either this area has been detected to death or like prohibition, it's a dry county. I have a couple tons of scrap iron, nice collection of pull tabs, a trash can or 2 full of AL cans and some steel ones, a couple sprinkler heads, some odd stuff, an axe head, many empty rifle/pistol brass, a few live rounds too, 5 pocket knives, one watch (timex), an old hose nozzle, probably $15-20 in assorted junk/clad coins... meaning I have been digging. I must not be living right????

Don't get discouraged. It's all about location. I pound silver with my mxt nearly Everytime out. But I door knock old houses in old neighborhoods. Guaranteed to make old finds that way. Location, location.

JC, As they said, "Location, location, location". Don't give up. Last Friday we went detecting. HUGE corner lot, house built in 1900 or earlier. We were very excited to be able to hunt that yard and we were ready. Only one oldie was recovered, one lonely wheat (1945) cent. I couldn't tell you how many pieced of Tootsie Toy vehicles I found. So it shows that any place can look like there's going to be silver but in reality, nothing but junk.

Depending on where you live, you might want to go to the public library and look at old plat maps. Many times there were old homesteads, churches, schools, etc. where something else is. Such as out in a field. Field hunting is really fun also.

HH,
Nancy

Something I've been trying lately is "find 5 deep repeatable targets" on each outing. I forget where I read about it, but the author explained that if detecting a "hunted out" area, try isolating 5 really deep repeatable coin size targets that might have been missed by others. His other point was to ignore VDI numbers, just focus on depth and size.

But sometimes there's NO deep coin signals at all and what was a deep signal was trash. Happens to the best of us. We've run across this many times in private yards. It happened this past weekend. Nothing to speak of. Some places look so enticing and we get permission to hunt and there's not one deep signal. Not one.

You'll get that first silver coin JC and when you do, I bet you won't be expecting it. HH, Nancy

If it will quit raining, I'll be back out there. A promising looking park was to contaminated with junk to even think about it. Might have been more interested but it a newer par. I dug it for several hours with 1 penny to show for it, also a trashed Timex. At least the Timex got my attention.... gold colored edge was in the plug!

jc -

Location and knowing your detector.

I took a road trip this weekend, 6 hr drive there and back. Solo this time. I had a particular house in mind to hunt and was granted permission to do so when I arrived and knocked on the door. Permission was granted and I found out the house was built in 1904, and I found out it had been hunted before. I don't concern myself too much when I find out a house has been hunted before, there are so many levels of skill, patience, disciplined coverage as well as the capability of the detector used. Unfortunately, after the first few hours, I determined the lawn has been redone somewhere in the past as I was recovering zincolns and clad in the 3-6" mark all across the front yard. And there were very few 'other' targets you expect to find around a house that has been lived in for 112 years.

The owners also had another home 2 doors down they gave me permission to hunt. It was built a year later, in 1905, and nobody was living in it. After a quick look, it was obvious the unoccupied home wasn't getting watered on a regular basis and I talked to the home owners about my concerns of dead plugs if I found any deeper targets. They said to go ahead, I would only be killing weeds. They didn't believe that house had ever been hunted. I carefully covered the smaller front lawn as well as the back yard. Hardly a target. Not even garbage. This is very unusual at a house this old that hasn't been hunted. There should be junk from everyday living; keys, washers, bolts, nails, aluminum foil, toys, etc. Again, a few newer coins in the surface to 6" mark. Another lawn replaced. So, from the standpoint of finding old coins and tokens, pretty much a bust.

My big success of the day was having a couple 6 year olds helping me 'treasure hunt' while their mothers watched from the porch. They were so excited, it was priceless. Being a softie like I am, I gave up all my zincolns and almost all my clad trying to keep things even between the two. I have to admit it was fun and gave me a smile on the long drive back home.

If I have a suggestion or two for you, it would be to see if you can spend some time with an experienced detectorist and see how they go about hunting. I don't know if there is a local club in your area, but being able to associate with a couple veteran hunters would help speed up the experience process.

Second, if you haven't already done so, do some experimenting with your detector in your own yard and learn how your detector sounds over deeper targets. Many newer detectorists expect a plain-as-day target response from a target that is on the fringe of detection depth. The two responses do not sound the same. Nor do they show up the same on the target ID display. The goal is to learn how to use your detector as a exploratory tool and know how it responds over different types of targets at different depths.

Best of luck out there finding that first silver coin.

Rich (Utah)

And then this......

We took the Lab to the river for a swim and on the way back my wife said let me try to detect. She does not walk well due to an old injury so I headed to a sports field which is nice and flat. I set up a mid level brand X for her. She said She didn't want to mess with a bunch of junk so I notched out everything but the top level for coins. I pointed to an area where people usually are when watching soccer matches.

While I'm digging 4 pennies, She's detecting and heading to where I pointed, She finds a silver chain with a gold ring on it!!:surprised:

What a great find and a great start to a fun filled hobby. Pictures please!!!! Congratulations to your wife!

JC,

Stay close to that girl and hope some of that luck rubs off!

I have a friend that is 'lucky' like that, but then again, he always has that attitude of "I'm going to find something". That's a good attitude to have.

Rich (Utah)

Nancy-IL said:
What a great find and a great start to a fun filled hobby. Pictures please!!!! Congratulations to your wife!

You want pictures of my pennies!!!:lmfao::lmfao:

Sorry, photo bucket seems to be down. I've tried to log in for 2 days with no luck.

JC99328 said:
You want pictures of my pennies!!!:lmfao::lmfao:

Sorry, photo bucket seems to be down. I've tried to log in for 2 days with no luck.

I think Nancy is hoping to see a photo of the silver chain and the gold ring your wife found. :poke:

And you don't need photo bucket to post a picture on findmall, you can upload a photo file directly to your post. See the Attachments: above and the highlighted Upload File.

Rich -

Hey, if you want to show us your pennies, that's fine with me. But as Rich posted, I would love to see the necklace and ring your wife found. HH, Nancy

You've got that right Rich. Thanks!!!

I don't have one of the chain, it was just a small link chain. All of it are at the sheriffs office's lost and found now trying to find the owner. Also placed an ad in the local paper. We live in a very small community and there's a good chance we might know the owner and make a return. It's actually a long shot since these things were 4-5" deep are were there for years most likely.

ring2_zps4grkmtgd.jpg
ring_zpsydkqvbpt.jpg

It's very pretty. My guess it was lost years ago since it was buried rather deep for a ring. Many times roots will grow through them and prevent them from going very deep. How may days will it be back into your hands if there's no one claims it? Thanks for sharing and HH, Nancy

JC,

That's a great looking ring and a wonderful find for your wife. Thanks for sharing the picture.

Rich

Sheriff said 90 days and it's yours if there's no claim. We are heading back to the same sports park later today if it doesn't rain.

That's not long at all. It's very pretty.