Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I never get nickels ... :unsure:

king-ghidorah

I never get nickels as I imagine I will have to start digging in the 10-6, 10-7 range. Any tips on what the sound is as opposed to a pull tab range. It would be nice to get a BN or just a regular nickel. :beers:

n/t

I get the newer ones at 10-5.... 11-6 on V's. The tabs have a higher sound... id say the nickels sound more like foil. If i dig a good 10-6... its always a tab for me.

Dew

I agree - I hunt in ferrous sounds and nickels usually have a more "solid", lower tone than a tab.
Bruce in Ct

I would recommend taking a range of nickel... New ones and old one's as well as some of your common trash items and just keep sweeping over them... Listen real good,,, like the other's said,, the nickels have a more "solid" sound that you can really tell a difference between! On my detector i have dug nickels on 5 6 and 7.. For me the ones that read 5 have always been the older ones...Shield's or old v's... I do have to say that most of the v's and buffalo's and regular nickel's stay around the number 6 on my detector!!
Good luck,,, Just keep playing with the signal and you will be a nickel diggin fool!!!

Older or deep Jefferson nickles just come in a digit lower than shallow Jeffersons....Explorers surely excell on silver but nickles can be had along with gold rings in that general area...Just be patient sometimes we just concentrate on higher coins and they will come...

Hey King -

Myself, I don't go by the sound as much on low conductors, because the sounds are so hard to differentiate. I would agree that nickels sound more "solid" and unbroken in their response than tabs/junk. I found four nickels yesterday, and all had one common theme - using the SmartFind screen, all hit near the bottom center of the screen, with just a tiny to small bit (approximately 1/8-inch) of white showing beneath the crosshair. As long as the target maintains this height above the bottom, iffier signals would be worth digging even if further to the right of center. But, much HIGHER on the screen, for me, 99% of the time, it's some type of pulltab. If the nickel's co-located with trash or another type of coin, then you may get the crosshair jumping in an arc toward the upper left as Chris(SoCenWI) has alluded to many times in past posts - you can use the "Search" feature above to find them in the forum archives. Good luck in your searching. Johnny

I said the same for 17[?] years with my EXPLORERxs,on beaches it never found any nickles,until I switched to the small coil and then every day i got nickles[old and new] on beaches i cleaned out[supposedly] with the excal and fisher aquanaut[thats how long ago that was]. Larger coil = more masking? Still learning and loving it. Thanks all,sam in ms

Ive also found DEEP V nickels have a tendancy to jump down to the lower right cornor where pull tabs hit. The key is the depth gauge and knowing generally pull tabs arent down 7 or 8 inches.

Dew

dewcon4414 said:
Ive also found DEEP V nickels have a tendancy to jump down to the lower right cornor where pull tabs hit. The key is the depth gauge and knowing generally pull tabs arent down 7 or 8 inches.

Dew

Good point about the Deep V's not being down 7-8".

Hey King,
It might sound silly but when I was trying to learn nickels, I used to put one in my left shoe(opposite detector arm).
Then whenever I'd run across a possible target,I'd scan my left shoe and compare.I read that here awhile ago,works for me.
I find them alot more often now.

Ron Y said:
Hey King,
It might sound silly but when I was trying to learn nickels, I used to put one in my left shoe(opposite detector arm).
Then whenever I'd run across a possible target,I'd scan my left shoe and compare.I read that here awhile ago,works for me.
I find them alot more often now.

That's a really good idea! :beers: