Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I retired today folks

Good Luck my friend I retired 5yrs ago and I'm happy as hell, I never looked back. My wifes cancer came back in both lungs and is on a chemo pill ...Your wife is very lucky. time to live life together!!! enjoy each others company while the good times last.

God Bless

rl48off sorry to hear that your wife has that awfull disease. We wish the best for you and your wife and many happy day's together. Thanks.
Gary

Gear Box, sorry to hear of so many people passing away in such a short amount of time. You must have felt cursed. But at the same time I'm glad to see you can still find things in life to look forward to. Good luck on the big adventure you and your wife are now setting out on. :thumbup: I'm a long ways away from retirement but my goal ain't a big house (just more to heat, cool, clean, and fill with expensive furniture). My goal isn't also to own fancy expensive cars or to try to out-buy my neighbors. My goals are just to be comfortable and maybe own a piece of extra land in the country to hunt and fish on. Ain't going to build a cabin there either. Just something for people to break into when I'm not there. Only thing I'll do to the property is put up some tree stands and dig a huge pound big enough to not fish out with some fish fries here and there.

Instead, my other goal and dream will take care of not having a cabin on the hunting/fishing land- One day I want to own an RV to travel the country and meet people at camp grounds, doing detecting all along the way of course. That's my dream. Ever watch that show with the two pickers who travel in a van and drive lonely country roads looking for antiques to buy? What a great way to make a living, and the people they meet are just icing on the cake. Imagine how they must feel getting permission to search some barns and opening the barn doors? Must be like a kid at Christmas. Of course that's the very feeling we as detectorists get when we dig a plug. I won't be shopping for antiques on road trips but I will be shopping for old sites to hunt.

Good luck again on your next chapter in life. This is when you get to to answer only to your desires and not those of others. :thumbup:

Thanks Critter. Fortunately for us we have met our goals in life. We bought an inexpensive 140 year old stone house 25 years ago and it's paid for and with some tender loving care its comfortable and its all we need. The company I worked for has a profit sharing program which made me enough money to be comfortable. You mentioned the American Pickers, believe it or not they were in my home town just last year. We will definately be doing some road trips, my wife likes antiques and I'll be looking fo detecting spots.
Gary

Gary, I hear ya. I don't care for a big house myself. What's more important to me is a big garage to play in working on projects. I don't feel "comfy" in a big empty house anyway.

Here's a thought for you- Just don't beat me to every house in America before, God willing, I get to retire some day and do the same thing. :biggrin:...

Why not do what American Pickers do? Drive around down lonely country dirt roads and when you see an old house or barn, stop and hand them a flyer that explains your hobby of detecting. Show them a few display cases of buttons and coins and explain that most old coins and such have zero value money wise, but that to you they are priceless. Tell them you'd like permission to hunt their property and with their blessing you'd be happy to split any coins, buttons, or relics evenly with them, and to place their items in a display case for them that day so they can hang it on a wall as a conversation piece. Bring some coin books to show them you aren't getting rich of the value of the coin finds you take, and also bring some books that go over old buttons and tokens so they can write down what is in their display case you give them before leaving that day.

Now, I ask you...Who would pass on the chance to see what history lies below their property? :shrug: I bet 2 out of 3 people would jump at the chance. And I bet even they'd be more than willing to let you stay the night in your RV on their property before moving on. Let me tell ya, a few years ago a friend and I went down to a huge expanse of public land we hunt and fish on that is very remote. You are not allowed to camp on this land, so rather than hitting the local hotel for the night in town we stopped by a farm that used to have a "Overnight Camping" sign in his yard. The guy told me that he stopped doing that due to problems with drunks and such. I told him me and my friend would be getting drunk but we were not the kind of people to start trouble or get loud. He looked at my T-shirt that had a vetrans ribbon on it (I'm not a vet) and said "I'll let you stay just because of that shirt your wearing". Well, that night his sister and her husband were staying there in an RV, and before you knew it we were all drinking some cold ones and having a great time telling stories around the camp fire. That was the best camping trip I ever had, and now the land owner refuses to take our money and treats us like family. Heck, the guy even dumps us fire wood out and feeds us, and we return the favor by giving him wild game or fish we've caught to put in his freezer.

That's the kind of thing I can picture you being in for with your road trips. I live in the city (suburbs near a city) but I was born for the country. That's my dream.

Those are good ideas Critter and we already do the driving around up and down the old roads. I don't stop though, I just can't get the nerve up and ask people to let me on there property. I used to do it when I hunted and it didn't bother me then so maybe I'm just going to have to do it. Anyway thanks
Gary

Congratulations on retiring. Now it's on to your next career of detecting, fishing, and family...... Not necessarily in that order. I have about 10 years till I follow in your footsteps.

Thanks Rick. I'm for sure looking forward to fishing and tecting and family. Those ten years you got left will go by pretty fast. Get ready now, it'll be here before you know it.
Gary