Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I switched to a Vaquero

cal

I switched from a M6 to a Vaquero because of wrist and shoulder problems. I needed something light,comfortable, with good disc,ground balance,reasonable depth, hot on gold jewelry,and stable around power lines. I was sure I need a TID machine until I saw some videos on You Tube of 53 Silver using the Vaquero. I tried one and bought it. One thing that I learned from another forum is that when you find a target and rotate the disc knob where it discriminates out and then bring it back in,if this target sounds cracky or fuzzy, it is usually trash. Even unbroken gold rings. I will try this out and see. Anyway learning new techniques is fun. HH and thanks for reading.

I've only had my Vaq. for a short time but I've already found a couple of gold rings and a silver dime. I do love the light weight, you can swing it twice as long as most other brands.
Clint

I have never used a VAQ but i would like to try one somday, good to hear its working for you ,

I already have two Tesoro's (Tiger Shark and Silver uMax) the Vaquero will be my third.

I've had an M6 and a V...

The M6 was fine but honestly it couldn't hold its own against the Vaquero. Yes I had shoulder surgery and the weight between the two was night and day.
The only thing that kept me using the M6 in certain situations was the tones...If the V had tones it would be perfect.

HH
Gary

I agree Gary, even though the M6 is very well balance, there is a big difference between the 2 machines. I too wished too the Vaquero had tones, but frankly the M6 tones sound terrible too me. I couldn't distingush between the tones very well. If Vaquero had tones like the Golden it would be perfect. What I like about the Vaquero is the disc ID and I am starting to learn sounds when you disc dial the knob back bringing a target back in and listenign to whether it is fuzzy or sharp. Trash or coin. I like the disc circuitry on the Vaquero it is very stable. I picked the Vaquero over the Outlaw because of the higher frequency giving me a slight edge on gold jewelry. I hunt dry land for jewelry on the theory that the places I hunt, there is more of a chance of a $500 ring than a $500 coin. Anyway the light wt . has made the difference and I love the machine. HH ans thanks for reading. Cal

Owned my Vaquero since march and at first thumbed the discriminator religiously and while I scored 2 silver rings lots of silver clad and copper pennies my Nickle count was crap that's when I decided to stop trying to cherry pick just silver and really hunt(first notch above iron)Yes,the junk count rose but so did my relic,Nickle,and ring count also . Ive found Hunting has everything to do with using the machine to its fullest potential and how I personally find it a more rewarding way of using my Vaquero .

coinscratch, I don't disagree at all with what your saying. I run my disc usually about 9 to 10 o'clock. I do try to disc out once discovered and bring back in to give a indication of idenity. I am not very sharp on Iding this way(especially can slaw) but i dig everything. I believe you have to to get the gold. I am wanting to try the 5 1/2 coil I just don't know which one yet. HH Cal

Cal, yes can slaw,all type pull tabs, and aluminum in general I personally can't Hear any difference from good target (with the exception of most tin foil,seem to have a raspy rough tone) if I find myself in extremely trashy aluminum area I will max out discriminator and dig just the best repeatable tone. seem to get moderate success from an otherwise impossible ,time consuming situation. However,I've been griding a section of field that yield mostly beaver tails and while my finds so far have been copper and some wheat pennies,3 junk rings,and clad coins from late '60's&70's (oldest '66 & up dimes &quarters) I have scored a '43 p Jefferson Nickle leading me to believe its a reasonable area to continue gridding & digging those beaver tails in my quest for silver and gold. I'm going to spend the rest of the season using the stock coil but do plan on giving the 5 1/2 a try at some time in the future. I believe Its a given of all serious Vaquero owners to have one eventually. Happy diggin...Sean

I'm not sure about the other Tesoro models, but two things I love about the Vaq is the stability in EMI rich environments and the AM-P/P button.
It is in the perfect spot for my left thumb. I don't use it for Pinpointing, I use it to recheck the immediate area for chains when jewelry hunting.
Found a couple gold/silver pendants.... by using the P/P button I found the accompanying chain nearby.

P/P is also good for doing a quick recheck of GB. The detector is a great design and its paid for itself many times over.
I will never sell it.

Thanks Ism for the tip. I am impressed with Vaquero so far. It's a hoot learning new tricks with this detector.HH