Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I was ready to pre-order until....

txop

I looked at the accessory coils and see they only make 1 larger than stock 11 inch and then a 6 inch. What about a 8 or 9 inch? Going from 6 to 11 inches leaves a big void that won't work me. My X-terra has a 9 inch coil and my Explorer SE pro has a 8x6 SEF coil on it. They are both on there 80 percent of the time. I have smaller and larger for both.

I see not having a 8 or 9 inch as a show stopper for coin hunting schools, parks, and old houses. The mid size coil is a good compromise that usually works in most environments.

I have not kept up with this forum because it took me until today to decide what I wanted to add to my list. Maybe Coiltek is going to fill the void. Anyone know? I'm on hold for now.

If it follows the pattern of the CTX it will be a LONG TIME before another coil (other than the ones they already stated for it) are available----either Minelab--or--after market.

Ksdirt said:
For a second there I thought you might have been a problem with the EQ...:blowup:

No, I want one but I need the smaller coil. I have 6 detectors now (my wife detects also) and I was looking for something to replace the Explorer SE pro with. We both just had back surgery and they messed me up but that's a whole other story. I can still swing the Explorer but not for long.

I just hold out a little longer because nothing else really looks interesting to me right now.

Is it too late to pre-order? I’m hearing some dealers have too many pre-orders and have stopped accepting until Minelab starts shipping them and they can fill the orders they have. Better check around.

As an all around urban coin hunter, I really like an 8-9” Coil. Small enough to be a very good sorter and big enough to cover effectively. If I move out into parks and sports fields, I like the 10-11” coils.

The 6-7” coils are capable of 7-8” coins and jewelry, they are just slow covering larger areas.

The 4-5” coils are ghost town coils and high trash areas like them.

I suspect that I will get the 6” Coil when it is available to have a go at some trashier urban areas I frequent.

Rich

I guess they figured they fit the bill with their options. Remember their 8" coils were only 7 1/4 NOT 8". They have a math issue lol. I guess they figured it would be to pricy so they went with what they thought would be the best small coil....... again ML telling us what we need. Sometime you wonder if any of them even detect.

Dew

I wouldn't worry. If the Equinox proves to be as popular as we think it will, then it won't be long until aftermarket could start popping up. And I agree with 8" coils being a very nice size to have, but lack of one being available at launch is not going to stop me from enjoying a new Equinox with the 11" coil.

Wayfarer........after market coil makers really have to think about it since the ML coil is unique and im certain there is a hefty price for that chip. Note coiltek isnt much of a bargain price wise. Ralph (sunRay) had to stop making some of the ML in line probes...... it just got to pricy to pay ML.

dewcon4414 said:
Wayfarer........after market coil makers really have to think about it since the ML coil is unique and im certain there is a hefty price for that chip. Note coiltek isnt much of a bargain price wise. Ralph (sunRay) had to stop making some of the ML in line probes...... it just got to pricy to pay ML.

You're right, but with all the Equinoxes out there (soon), there will be a much larger base of potential customers than for the CTX. Even if only 1 out of 50 owners decide to buy an expensive aftermarket coil, that could still prove to be economically doable just due to the sheer number of Equinoxes compared to the relatively small number of CTX's. That's my hope anyway, because I'm with the OP and would really like to see an 8" coil option for the Equinox.

The 8" would probably be the most likely aftermarket coil size I would think, so that would come out first. That or a 10" football-shaped elliptical. Something that would fit between the 11" and the 6", which I agree is a big gap just waiting to be filled.

If you can't find a target on the stock coil- work on your technique- the coil works just fine.

I have all 3 factory coils for my CTX and the 17 rarely leaves the shaft. In fact the only reason it ever does is if I am going to somewhere it literally won't fit- woods, etc.

Meaning- you aren't leaving anything behind with an 11 that an 8-9 would find.

Ill just say this........ you dont know what you missed if you missed it. A smaller coil just works better in trash...... much like reducing your sensitivity can. It has to do with the amount of material being processed........ good tech helps. How much difference would there be between a 6, 8, or 11" coil........ thats going to depend on how well the machine lives up to the hype.