Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I wish Minelab would

G. E. Edwards

I wish Minelab would make a different carbon fiber rod for us water hunters. One that is v shaped on the sides instead of round, so it will cut through the water easier. And a little thinner to cut down the drag. This would really help in 2 or 3 foot of water and less. Also do the sides of the coil the sameway. What do you think guy's and gal's?

Wish I could help you but I don't hunt water very much. If I did I would need a adapter to put my fishing pole on. Have a great Friday Gene HH

I think waterproofing was a great idea for hunting in the rain or not having to quit hunting if it starts to rain while you're in the middle of a hunt, but not for submersion on this machine. Just too many quirks in the design for full submersion. They should have design the battery system like the sealed unit of an Excalibur and the detector with the frame of an E-trac. I have an Excalibur for underwater purposes and use the CTX strictly for land hunting. However, It is nice to know I can detect in a stream with the CTX and not have to worry about dropping it in the water, but I wouldn't try to swing it in the surf or use it fully submersed.

I know what your saying, I never go in the water deeper then a foot and a half. I don't mind it getting a splash once in awhile but I will never submerge it. Not after hearing about the ones that leaked. The problem is that big round lower pole causing so much drag. If it was vee shaped and a little thinner, it would cut through the shallow water better, even doing the coil vee shaped would cut the drag. My Excall shorted out when the battery wires broke and shorted out, they wanted $800.00 for a new board. So it's in a box under my bed collecting dust. Oh well there probably are not enough water hunters to warrant making a lower shaft like that, and especially remaking a 17"coil design. So I live with it.

Yikes!-----Times like that is when a guy REALLY needs a warranty, just as well buy another detector as face a bill like that.-----Does the Excall still carry just a one yr. warranty?-----Several yrs. ago the wife & I bought new Excalls & like a dummy, I bought them ahead of time before we used them much at all.----Took a trip to FL & mine went "gunny bags" right off.---Sent it in & they said the coil leaked & I needed a new coil--it was out of warranty by that time (of course). :tongue:----I told them I hadn't even (hardly) used it but still got stuck with the bill.-----They're great water machines though Excalls)--I think they are THE best--when they're runnin! :biggrin:
G. E. Edwards said:
I know what your saying, I never go in the water deeper then a foot and a half. I don't mind it getting a splash once in awhile but I will never submerge it. Not after hearing about the ones that leaked. The problem is that big round lower pole causing so much drag. If it was vee shaped and a little thinner, it would cut through the shallow water better, even doing the coil vee shaped would cut drag. My Excall shorted out when the battery wires broke and shorted out, they wanted $800.00 for a new board. So it's in a box under my bed collecting dust. Oh well there probably are not enough water hunters to warrant making a lower shaft like that, and especially remaking a 17"coil design. So I live with it.

Be careful what you wish for in slender dynamic water flow shafts. My first Excaliber and Minelabs first Excaliber would break frequently at the bottom. It got so bad that I still have 3 new bottom shaft assemblies sitting the garage. The machine finally went bad and I upgraded to a new one. Shafts anyone... nes

I hear ya Nes, but I though that carbon fiber is suppose to be really strong. Even if they made it the same shape as the top shaft but still slide in, would work for cutting through the shallow water don't ya think?

I'm guessing your right because carbon fiber is much stronger that the stuff they first used. The weakness was with the coil attachment rod on the bottom that fit inside the bottom shaft. That would break quite frequently.... nes

G. E. Edwards said:
I know what your saying, I never go in the water deeper then a foot and a half. I don't mind it getting a splash once in awhile but I will never submerge it. Not after hearing about the ones that leaked. The problem is that big round lower pole causing so much drag. If it was vee shaped and a little thinner, it would cut through the shallow water better, even doing the coil vee shaped would cut the drag. My Excall shorted out when the battery wires broke and shorted out, they wanted $800.00 for a new board. So it's in a box under my bed collecting dust. Oh well there probably are not enough water hunters to warrant making a lower shaft like that, and especially remaking a 17"coil design. So I live with it.
Gene you wanna sell that broken excal

I do. it has the stock coil, the 15'' wok both with water proof connecters,head phones,the main electronics, two rechargeable batts. and a regular batt. pod. but on shaft or arm cuff. make me an offer you will most likely own it. Thanks Gene