Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

ID Help

smokey63

Can't figure this one out. Never seen one with the raised ridges running the lenght of the bullet. There are seven of the ridges the same width apart on the bullet. Thanks.

Not 100% sure , but i think what you are seeing is the rifle mark's on the bullet,...hence the land/grove's on a rifled muzzleloader.Sweet find!!!

Thanks atpro. After a little more research found that the pattern is a heptagon. Now just need to find what type of bullet it is and what type of rifle fired it. I thought it was an Enfield until I put my glasses on!

You may be able to find out which gun fired it by micing the land/groove's on the bullet itself, an doing alittle research on the net, or if you have access to a book on Civil war gun's may also help with your question's.i'm not sure myself which bullet or caliber it is at the moment, if you can provide the spec's on the bullet i'll do alittle reasearch for you.

It does look like an enfield but ..... cch

But what? Don't leave us hangin. By the way, great videos.

I vote Enfield. I checked the MM book, and the Whitworth hex bullets have larger grooves in them. I think the grooving on your bullet is due to rifling from the musket.

Thanks folks, I have got to get me one of those M & M books.

Most rifles used during the Civil War were smooth bore. The bullet you have has been fired from a rifle with lands&grooves. A lot of privately owned weapons were used which makes it hard to say for sure which rifle fired it. But one thing is for sure you found it and it is already an interesting conversation piece. History is in the clods. HH

.... but you can never be sure. lol. I think its an enfield.

Thanks. By the way my daughter said I needed let all everyone know thats her fingers in the photo with the painted thumb and not mine. lol :rofl: