Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

ID on the screen

DigaDiga

Ok, so here's my question. Many times I will hit a target and it will look like I have 2 objects in the ground. This is mainly when there is iron in the ground. So 2 situations arise. The first is where the "good" target shows a red circle in the good conductive range and the second target is a blue diamond in the iron range. The second situation is the same for the "good" target but at the bottom is also a red circle. Does this mean I'm getting the "halo" affect from the iron? And does it mean for scenario one that there are 2 targets? I hope I'm explaining myself. Just a little frustrated when iron sounds like silver. Really starting to understand this machine and trying to fine tune my digs. I use gone hunting's open program and am just now starting to use the 50 conductive when I get an "iffy" target. Am I correct in my assumptions? I obviously don't want to miss any good targets, and if I can ignore the nasty iron and move on, I will be able to get the coil over more good targets. I know there's always a chance you could miss something, but I'm starting to get pretty good discerning what the target is before I pull it out of the ground. Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Don't know if its in the program you are using or not, but I use ferrous coin all the time. Any time my coil is near the ground I have both the good and bad target indicators on the screen. All the time. They'll move when I go over a target but otherwise are always there. Is this along the lines of what you mean?

You need to give a 360 sweep on these questionable targets, sometimes iron can sound like a perfect hit in one spot, but nothing at all but iron grunts the rest of the way around. Keep an idea where the target is when you hear the high tone, and as you work around if you hear the high tone again, make sure the target is in that same spot. Many times it is not, indicating iron. Also typically iron will not pinpoint well. I still dig a piece of iron here and there, and most of the time can guess I am doing it. I just like to use the better safe than sorry rule.

NN

I know the targets are there. I guess what I am asking is when both indicators are red circles (as opposed to a red circle and a blue diamond), does that necessarily mean iron only and the halo affect? I've really been trying to pay attention and it seems like if the screen shows both circles then that is what it is. I hope I'm correct in my thinking. Using this information along with some of the other programs (like switching to 50 conductive), can really help with troublesome targets.

nolanation said:
You need to give a 360 sweep on these questionable targets, sometimes iron can sound like a perfect hit in one spot, but nothing at all but iron grunts the rest of the way around. Keep an idea where the target is when you hear the high tone, and as you work around if you hear the high tone again, make sure the target is in that same spot. Many times it is not, indicating iron. Also typically iron will not pinpoint well. I still dig a piece of iron here and there, and most of the time can guess I am doing it. I just like to use the better safe than sorry rule.

NN

I definitely do the 360, but if it has a good halo sometimes it will sing silver. Just trying to use all of the information that the CTX gives us.

There are so many variables that will influence what shows up on the screen and where, I would suggest digging all questionable targets at first. That way you quickly learn first hand what the CTX is telling you in your ground.

Two red circles, neatly filled in are usually two good targets.