Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

idea on origin of this imagery?

osgood

Found this, posted it on Today Finds, any experts out there on such imagery, or do you think it adorned a piece of furniture or something. What i dont get is the round projections under the chin, are they curls, a collar, ?

Actually to me it looks like a door knocker and it might represent the image of "Apollo" the Greek sun god. The lower chin area looks like a spot to pinch it between your fingers to grab it and knock. That being said can to post more pictures of the back and maybe a side view ? IMHO (so far) Woodstock

Woodstock, i tried grabbing those nubs, difficult to do, dont think they where made for that. Also it doesnt feel weighted properly for a swing motion. Magnet will not stick to it. Here is a picture of the back. No weld marks or attachment points, CO

I'm thinking those round projections around the chin area are part of the elaborate headdress being worn?

Just from the image on here, I would say it was a decorative ornament for something
wooden such as a cabinet etc. It appears to have 2 holes at the top for small screws
and one at the bottom making it appear to have been screwed in to something wooden.
What is so intriguing to me is it is NOT cemetrical. One side does not match the other
if you look closely at it. In your first image facing us, there are 3 small pieces that are
adorning the hair piece. On the right side, if you look very closely, it appears to at one
time or another, those same 3 images were on that side also but have been worn down.
Well that knocks out a drawer or door handle. You couldn't have gotten your hand on it
firmly enough to open a door or drawer. Also, something had to wear them down and I
am assuming that would have been a hand. Just thinking if a hand wore it down and it
was screwed into something, what would that have been? Possibly a staff such as the
Masons use in their ceremonies, a walking cane, something of that nature? It has the
appearance of being something ceremonial such as a Myan image, Chinese or Japanese
Emperor, something such as what Woodstock has referred to.

Yes Bill , i mentioned i dont see screw holes. When you see the aberrations they are in fact not screw holes but crud filled mold indentations on the back side from the original press. My original inclination though is still like glen 3s; perhaps something on a piece of furniture , just not sure how it was secured. thanks for input, CO

Thought door knocker also except for the size comarison with the penny. Man wouuld I like to mount that on leather for some "man jewelry". Good find.

This one has me stumped. If no holes in it, how would it be worn unless there was
a straight pin through it to hold it on to a dress or robe worn in ritual ceremonies. If it were
mine, I wouldn't keep it in the house. You might start getting visitors?????

My last guess on this is might be part of a hair Barrett ... there are holes to push the pick threw ... and it is ornamental ... IMHO , Woodstock

The thing weighs quite a bit and perhaps in brass or bronze, doubt it would be comfortable in decorating hairdos etc. Someone suggested this could be related to the Greenman. That is an old mythological type representation on the spirit of the forest, leaves, agricultural and fertility type representations. It was used as an adornment on buildings and architecture in certain time periods. Im still not convinced though; all the imagery for Greenman are decidedly less symmetrical with a lot of leaves coming out every where etc.CO

Well osgood ... I have to completely give up on this one . Everything it might be ... or could be ... has been offered up for your concideration by many of us ... but you still say it's not . So it'll have to X filed in the unknown stuff and forgotton until one of us nails it or someone new joins and knows it's orgin ... or it might never be identified . Oh yeah vintage hair barretts as old as this one appears just might be heavier than you imagen , after all there purpose was to band hair together and hold it down, right ? IMHO , Woodstock

I'm going out on a limb here again. When I was about 8 yrs old, we lived in an old
wooden farm house. Very drafty and heated it with a pot belly wood burning stove.
The legs on it were curved with something similar to a bear paw for a foot. Starting
at the foot and going up, it got narrower and curved in. About 3/4 of the way up it
started to get wide again and was bolted up under the bottom of the stove. Where
the leg curved in and came back out, at it's outer most curve before becoming wide
again, it had a decoration on it but I can't remember exactly what it was. If you look
at the back side of this, you can see at the top where it looks like it is curving away
from you and starts to widen out but below that towards the chin part, it seems to be
the same width but bent into a round shape as if it fit around something. ???

Whats odd about this thing as the OP'er mentioned is there are no apparent provisions for attaching it to something. No holes, no obvious broken welds or solder remnants i can see from the pic. Its as though this thing was meant to stand alone as is.

It could of been a hair piece but i doubt any women would of worn such a thing. Though i could see a 16th Century guy using it for that purpose.
Other than that, it'd make a good paper weight but no grab area for easy lifting.
Could it have been sewn on something like a horse bridle rosette or something?

It would be helpful if you mentioned where you found it, how deep, historic site, etc. Need all the clues we can get.
Interesting find no less.

After a bit of research I came up on this image as "the Green Man" and it has a Pagan Origin is used to decorate furniture and sometimes a door knock ( yours might have the swing missing ) . This is based on just Google searching for it , if don't believe me then look it up . I started looking a vintage bronze hardware and ran into his "Green Man" simply by accident . Now I hope we can put this mystery to rest . Woodstock

Sorry, I just don't see any resemblance to the 'green man' in this one.
This has some kind of Incan or Aztec look to it except for the face.

I guess it depends on what you think the Green man looks like . When I view the images I found so far I seen so many different variations and designs that I'm sticking to my gut feelings on this identification . With designs ranging from leafs to veins and even sun rays by appearance and faces that appear angry to passive . The Green man has been up to the artist's interpretation for millenniums and the renditions of his face must be in the hundreds if not thousands threw the years . I've searched Google Images and Bing Images and until I see a more positive identification this is a version of the Pagan Green man and if it was used as furniture decoration or Door Knocker ( missing the swing knocker ) or a piece of personal clothing decoration will possibly we'll never be 100% sure on , but I'm currently convinced it's a Green man . IMHO, Woodstock