Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

idea on origin of this imagery?

So its a so called green man ornament, first i heard of such a thing. Its obviously some kind of ornament! DUHH!!
But that does solve one half of the mystery.

After a few minutes of research, all i've seen have hooks for hanging on a wall.
The pic of this one has no visible signs or remnants of attachment hardware to anything.
That IMO is the other half of the mystery.

Although I did see a pic of one just laying on the ground in a garden of some kind it did not mention whether it had a hook or not.
Maybe this one was meant to be embedded in cement or concrete?

Yes BUT let's close the ID and then find out the background ... The Green-Man is who we see and the use now is irrelevant ... tell me more ... Woodstock

i know it is not metallic so im thinking bronze, brass or copper. i have not deliberately scraped it down to see what the base metal is although at the very center top edge there is a nick where i think im seeing a shiny metal showing through. We have had probably record low river levels this summer in upstate NY so a buddy and i went out on some gravel and smaller stone gravel bars. This was wedged in the muck and gravel. I almost put it into the trash bag on the spot till some of the muck started falling off and i realized there was a shape there. I am gonna try to see the county historian here today. Dont know if adorned furniture or perhaps a fountain or bath house. If not i wonder if the concave nature from the back would accommodate connecting to a pole perhaps. thanks for you input and interest, CO

Met with the county historian, he says he thinks it is machine made, and was probably related to the furniture, stove or plumbing business, ie an adornment of sorts. CO

So that explains how it was made or what some would say "orgin" but to me didn't a part of your question what it's image represented and the orgin of the image ? Or am I mistaken ? Woodstock

Woodstock, thank you for your input. you r correct, he did not have an idea on the image itself. He said not south american as they would not have migrated up this far. Maybe ill try the university next CO

That's great ... remember that the image you found must have bee an adornment of something that fell of whatever it was on or used for . And things end up from who knows where ...everywhere . I found Chinese coins in the middle of America carried by the Chinese workers who built the rail system across America . I still believe it's connected the Pagan Green-man even if the design maybe slightly different and from the 1800's .... IMHO , Woodstock