Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

If i lower my volume gain does ir affect depth?

MEV

I'm thinking next time i Will lower my volume gain to 8 , so that i know when it's a deep Target, becuase if i ran gain at 30 theres no diffrence in sound if Target is deep or shallow but i'm affraid i Will lose depth. Am i wrong?

The volume gain setting is there to help weaker targets have enough of a return signal to be recognized and make a sound. Turning down your volume gain will cost you targets as you just won't hear the targets that are at the edge of detection. Setting up your CTX so that you can tell how deep a target is because the signal is faint is a bad idea. You will be much further ahead to adjust the volume gain in the range of 25-28 and hear all the target signals and decide how deep they are with your shovel.

To add to what Todd said,raising your coil gradually to see where the target stops responding will also tell you something about the depth. If the signal goes away as soon as you start raising the coil an inch or two,it’s deeper. If you can raise the coil 3-5” before it goes away, it’s not that deep. If it still responds at 2 feet off the ground you’re in trouble,unless youre hunting hubcaps.

I ran my VG at 30 only because I had cheap headphones that would not let my old ears pick up those faint signals.
Since I got a good pair of headphones I’ve turned the VG down to 26 and now I get detail in the sound thru the headphones , much better
BT

So, I'm far from the CTX, aficionado, but I like mine about 17-20 while using premium MD headphones. My previous experience with the Etrac is the higher gain increases falsing. I'm thinking the Volume Gain on the CTX would have similar results. I also like hearing lighter or fainter signals, so I can focus o them and easily pass over shallow clad without reading the screen. This increases my awareness of the surrounding area and more opportunities to read the group contours.

I keep my volume gain on the high side, just backed down enough to be able to tell when I've hit a deeper target. Then use the screen for depth info. It's pretty accurate on coin sized targets.

When your swinging over a deep target you can tell by sound when your swing has a quick response only in the exact spot. This is pronounced or more obvious as you pinpoint as well. Targets that are shallow are harder to pinpoint due to them being closer to the coil, targets that are deep pinpointing is easier as the machine will work to be right over the top. Of course the pinpoint shows the depth too. But even when I'm just swinging over the ground I can tell its a deeper signal by how I have to be more exact is the swing over the top of the item to get a good sharp signal.