Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

If you had your choice of these three GPS which would you chose?

El

Garmin Dakota 20
Garmin Oregon 450T
Magellan Explorist 515

If you would care to explain why you made your choice it would help my decision. I plan on using it for metal detecting.

Also, can third party maps like National Geo be loaded into the 3 listed units?

Thanks, El

To be honest, I don't keep up any more with all the new receivers so, I don't know all the features of all of them. I could not find any info about the Explorist 515. Only 510 is shown on Magellan's website.
510's upside is a decent size screen and a built in camera which may be nice for recording geotagged finds.
Downside is; it does not seem to have a built in magnetic compass. I'm not sure about adding custom maps to it.
For years now, I've been using mostly Garmin receivers and developed personal preference for them.
Between the Oregon and Dakota, I'd go for Oregon because when using maps, screen size is VERY important.
There is a slew of ready, good maps that can be used on Garmin plus, virtually any map (including any historical scanned paper maps) can be added using Custom Map feature. http://www.garmin.com/us/products/onthetrail/custommaps
It can also double for car navigation so, even that I don't have all the info on Magellan,
my personal choice (from the three) would be Oregon 450T

YMMV
HTH

Garmin Dakota 20
Garmin Oregon 450T
Magellan Explorist 515

what are the ballpark costs on these GPS units

450T is discontinued so, you should be able to pick it for half (or less) of the list price.
Remember that "discontinued does NOT mean useless. It does today exactly the same things as it did the day they released it.