Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

If you were going to buy a beach hunting book........

KinTN

Would you buy one (or a few) of Clive Clynick's or one (or a few) of Gary Draytons?
Or does someone else do a better one?

fwiw, I'm not a rookie at this- just looking to learn/improve.

Books are great and I think I have all of Clives and Jim Browers Surf Book. . For me after reading these book I really think the best teacher is just being out and doing the time, researching and having the right conditions. If I hunted the same beach's they do which is what the books are based on I'm sure they would help. I look at it like this, say you were a new boss going into a store totally different then your use to, bringing all the knowledge of the past helps but until you have been there for awhile and understand the operations of the place it really is hard to be the best possible. All of the books are great reading but don't be surprised you could teach them a few things. Good Luck..

Totally agree with Oldbeechnut.I think once you have the basics of what to look for on the beach,books become insignificant.The rules for searching a particular beach also change after virtually every tide,so everything you think you've learned on one hunt is wiped out the next time you hunt.
The best thing to do is "doing the time" as mentioned above.The more time you spend at a particular beach the more likely you are to recognise the signs that will give you the best chance of finding something good.
I search my local beach regularly and over time I have learned which areas generally produce the decent finds,what I have learned I could never have learned from a book.

Hi,
Some time ago I bought the book "Pulsepower":Finding Gold at the Shore with a Pulse Induction Metal Detector
by Clive Clynick
and found it to be good reading with quite a few tips.
You won´t make a mistake buying it - I have not read the other author that you mentioned.
Personally I find it good to further my theoretical skills so I can convert them into real live action.
hh
skookum

Edit:
No book is going to substitute an experienced hunting buddy to show you stuff, but some of us are lone wolves who enjoy hunting alone so we have to get our info somewhere else - like in a book.

Thanks for your kind works Joe and Skookum. A little theory, a good "coach" and having seen a lot of different kinds of shoreline conditions are the best teachers.
cjc
clivesgoldpage.com

If you wanted one you could go though in a hour or so and not have to worry about referring back to for years and years...
(I won't even say it....)
..and dealers--if you want to be undersold on e-bay...
cjc

Guys, I really appreciate you all taking the time to reply. I am an avid consumer of information and (me being me) I will probably end up getting all relevant books.

I'd love to put in the hours beach hunting but as I currently live in TN, I usually only get a couple of weeks a year on various southern beaches (and then I have to spend some of that time doing wife things). As a geologist, I understand the processes at work pretty well, but also agree that there is no teacher like Experience. I do love ocean beach hunting tho. In a few years after we get thru some family-type obligations, we hope to be able to spend a lot more time along the coasts. Thanks again for everyone's advice.

Kind of like the military........ there were regulations to follow...... but oddly each installation may have did it differently and after years of moving you learned what worked and didnt. Thats called experience. You will pick up tips you didnt think about in every book you read....... things you reflect back on, but like Joe said there just isnt a better teacher than hands on. We all find after awhile what works best for us at our hunting locations. BUT...... conditions arent the same everywhere. We know that because we see people argueing all the time about machines and the way they hunt and what produces. Like Eisenhower said...... i didnt have a good day unless i learned something.

I wouldn't. The best source of information you have is right here. Whatever machine you have, post it here and ask for the best settings others use and then use the settings that suit where you are hunting(shall I say recovering). Then find out what kind of scoop you need. It is critical. A great scoop enables you to recover quicker and more often. It's all a numbers game. Then get out and start pounding. A detecting book is OK when it's snowing out and you can't detect. It will however, stoke your internal fire to motivate you to get out there. Nothing motivates me more than to see the great stuff people are posting here. They make it happen by having the right gear set up the right way and putting in the miles. Nothing magical. Oh and this too, no better truism than what Beechnut says "location, location, location".

Well books are not a substitute for the forums, but I think we need to cull info from every place we can. Gary and Clive are men who hunt, find and share. I have books from both and no I would not stay home to read when its low tide or the sand is down, but if I can learn something that makes me a better hunter the books are worth many times their cost. I would include OBNs videos since he chimed in, Joe is another who is not shy about contributing to lifting the skill level of the seekers for knowledge. :detecting:

PS there are so many names that could be added...

If you are using a PI, Clives pulse power. If your water hunting get 1 of Clives water books. It;s only $15 or $20 and enjoyable to read.
Gold beneath the waves by Jim is a good read too.

There is no doubt, in my view, that getting out there and doing it is the best way to know your beaches and your machines. That said, I have several of Clive's books, and as I live in Australia, I doubt that he hunts the same beaches I do, but I have picked up many good tips and pointers regarding both beach/water hunting and some particular detectors that he has written about. I dont have the opportunity to get out as much as, say Clive and many hunters here on the forums, so any tips I can get (from anywhere) can be real time-savers when I do get to the beach. I have spent many hours sifting through and re-reading some of Clive's books, and I haven't regretted buying them. HH

I agree lets not leave out Jim and Joe. Jims book is an excellent read too. NO ONE has done more in the form of videos to show upgrades and repairs than Joe........ also i think his finds prove being out there with the right machine and skills pay off. KinTn ......... you would be an interesting guy to have around and discuss target movement with.

Thanks, dew but I cant hold a candle to the guys mentioned/participating in this thread. theoretical v practical experience ya know. And my training, while helpful, tends to a grosser/larger scale view than what we detectorists generally are chasing.

I didn't know about Jim Bowers- thanks for the headsup guys. And as for Joe/OBN, yeah I am an avid viewer of those vids (have saved quite a few of them on my hard drive as well!). Also, I haven't seen Tony Diana's audio CD for the Excal mentioned in this thread. Many folks recommend that as well if you have an Excal II. But I guess that's really off topic since it isn't a book.

Id buy the one I put out.

Titled.

Metal Detecting The Beaches From Maine To Florida.

Its on Amazon. its a guide to the beaches. ship wrecks and equipment and saftey.

Regards.

Ray

I have just ordered Gary Draytons how to read the beach , I also read about stuff online, like low points, cuts , scallops etc where objects like stones and shells collect, black sand, ripple troughs etc. Not having much luck at the moment but keep persisting each outing about 4 or 5 hours, lots of aluminium can stuff but no lead sinkers.
I am using a whites M6 I just bought, my old detector was a bh fastracker, I have no transport so mainly use beaches within walking distance, people do find gold rings on them though and I may have a trip to next seaside town to hunt their beaches on bus when conditions seem good

First thing I would suggest is unload the m6 as far as a beach hunting unit. It has its limitations. consider a water unit if your seriously considering beach hunting. not sure if your hunting fresh or salt water or possibly both. ????

many guys who water hunt prefer the excal. Some like myself prefer the fisher cz-20 or 21. There are many to choose from but The m6 really isnt much for beach hunting.

I have the Gary Drayton book , reading the beach and water, I like his books , Andy sabisch books look good too I will probably get as many as I can as I love reading