Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ikelite battery lead FROM the detector - Excalibur II

robinb

I am trying to sort out a friends Excalibur II that is intermittent (its switching on and off).

The problem appears to be the ikelite connector leads and the last half inch where the wires go into housing where the rubber grommet prevents leaks.
Wiggling the cable causes the detector to go on and off, its not the pins going into battery as I have opened them up slightly and tried another battery with same result.

Has anyone else had this problem ?

What size is the allen key that locks the wires in place ? (it does not appear to be metric, somewhere between 1.5mm - 2mm)

To add to the complication the wires are soldered in so not sure i could remove even if I had the right size allen key.
Is the body connector heat resistant ?

I was thinking of cutting back the wires by 2 cm and then reattaching to pins but this will be a problem if the plastic is not heat resistant.

Any other suggestions please (its out of warranty)

thanks

To answer my own questions :)

Luckily I found a allen key that I could undo the grub screws holding the wires and the solder had not flowed down the brass terminal.
Not sure what size allen key was other than its imperial.

I drilled out the solder as seemed the easiest way.

The +ve power lead was broken just around the cable gland inside the sleeve.

SO I cut the cable back just past this point and redid the terminal connections without solder.

Not sure how it broke its now working again as it should.

I've seen several specially the Excalibur II. My opinion I think if you water hunt a lot and the machine is submerged a lot it maybe something to check once a year. They break or corrode overtime.

Thanks Joe

The brown (+ve) feed was broken almost like it had been pulled to hard or compressed too much.

There was no corrosion inside the terminals which is good and the copper wire was still bright and shiny.

I think the allen key size for the grub screw is 1/16 "

Its going back to its owner in the morning all being well.