Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Illinois Militia camp

Larry (IL)

Two of us hunted a hillside that is known locally as bullet hill, a backstop of a pre Civil War shooting range/training camp, most likely the Illinois Militia because all of the musket bullets are .69 caliber at this location. I think the nearby camp was gone before the Civil War started so we are talking probably 1850's.

The CTX 3030's were challenged to the max there because the bullets were from 8 to 15 inches deep and some of them would give a weak beep in open screen, Ferrous-Coin but in pinpoint we could clearly hear them. I should have tried other modes besides Ferrous-Coin. The very deep bullets gave no audible signal at all but the display clearly showed a 12-31, 12-33 target was under the coil and again pinpoint confirmed it was time to dig another hole. This has to be some of the toughest digging I have ever done, roots everywhere and we we probably on a 45 degree incline and most holes were 12 inches deep or more, that wore this old man out and after 2 1/2 hours I called it quits.

Check out Nathan's arm down in the hole retrieving bullet number 5 in the same hole....... that was probably a 15 incher. Nathan got a head start on me and had nine before I even started, he ended up with 21 bullets this morning and I had eight .69,s and a small caliber and a couple of fragments.

[attachment 240313 Relics20002.jpg][attachment 240314 Relics20006.jpg][attachment 240315 Relics20003.jpg][attachment 240316 Relics20004.jpg][attachment 240317 Relics20008.jpg]

Good finds. Digging that deep on inclines is always tough! Looks like it was well worth it though.:thumbup:

Nice finds. Always good to see lead (my favorite color) coming out of the ground in August. :thumbup: cch

After further research I found out that the Minnie's came from the Civil War era after all:

1861 The day the Civil War began, Peoria Mayor William Willard led a war recruitment rally for eager volunteers. Camp Lyon, where 7500 Union soldiers were trained, was established at the west gate of Glen Oak Park.

Hunting in the woods in tough enough, let alone on the steep incline. Must have been difficult to keep your balance while using your shovel. I hate roots. Looks like the hard work paid off. Congrats on the nice bullets.

Big old chunks of lead.

Nice digs, have you ever located the spot they were firing from? Might turn up some buttons, etc.

No, I have tried the only place huntable, a grass strip about 30 yards away. I suspect it was further back and that is now a road and row houses in a not so good neighborhood. Several of us has dug close to 100 total .69's in a 12' X 12' area and another couple hundred has been found in the surrounding hillside. (so far)

Larry (IL) said:
No, I have tried the only place huntable, a grass strip about 30 yards away. I suspect it was further back and that is now a road and row houses in a not so good neighborhood. Several of us has dug close to 100 total .69's in a 12' X 12' area and another couple hundred has been found in the surrounding hillside. (so far)

Dang, that bites.. There were 20,000 troops in my hometown most of the war, and believe me, there are TONS AND TONS of nice relics, coins, etc. buried in town under roads, buildings, houses, parking lots and anything else you can imagine. It's a real shame.

Didn't happen to have any other Minelab machines on site, like a Safari, or, ETRAC, did you? If so, did you note a comparison in finds and ablility?

Thanks, Larry.

Nope, sure didn't......