Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I'm thinking on getting an explorer with in line probe

boxofchocolates

Any and all comments suggestions welcome.......hh.......Dan

I dont think you are going to find to many people on here recommending again it..... well unless you live near them. They can be a little heavy, warranty wont transfer, little more difficult to pinpoint with, takes awhile to get YOUR settings and to learn. They are made well and ive not heard a lot of repair complaints. There is only one repair location here in the states.... its in Chi town. Upside.... it likes silver and copper. Its a great beach machine because of the FBS it transitions well from dry to wet sand. Not to shabby as a Relic machine either. Get great depth in most areas with just the factory settings. As far as the inline.... Its right up there with the newer coils as improvements to our hobby.

Dew

I also carry my ProPointer with me too for the shallow targets, and it has a light.
Aaron

The two are a great combination Dan.

[size=medium]Read field tests for specifics on improvements made in each model.. This post is more on stuff you wont find in the field tests.. Explorers are heavy and a Sunray probe adds to the weight ...If you havent swung a heavy detector before try one out before you buy one.. Each model of the Explorers have improvements and there is not a whole lot of difference in price between used units right now.
XS models are going for about $400, XS2 models for about $500 & SE models about $600.. The preferred coil is the Pro coil which only came on the SE Pro model & Etrac. The 1050 white coil came on the XS & the 1050 black coil that came on XS2 are decent coils but not as good as the Pro coil.. The Slimline coil came on the the SE non Pro & should be avoided. If a XS or XS2 is being sold with a Slimline coil deduct $50 from its value and plan on buying a different coil.. If buying a SE with a Slimline coil plan on selling the coil for $50 and spending $125 for a Pro coil, so that would make a SE with a Pro coil worth $75 more than one with a Slimline..What first may look like a bargain may not be such a bargain in the long run... Current coil used coil values, Slimline $50, 1050 White $65-$75 1050 back $75-$85..Pro coil $125-$140..Keep this in mind when purchasing a unit...The XS models have a slow processor and have sticky nulls, (slow to recover from a iron null) early unit had cam lock cracking problem on the control box and had 2 different style upper rods to help with the problem..The XS also had a 1/8" headphone jack and no stand..The upper shafts are slightly different sizes on the XS. A XS upper shaft fits a little to tight on a XS2 or SE..A XS2 (white, no dimple, 45degree cut white) and the black SE & Etrac shafts fit loose in a XS control box and will require being wrapped will the proper amount of tape to keep the rod from falling out of the control box.. Sunray probes are permanently attached to a upper shaft,, Make sure the upper shaft matches the control box ..Performance wise all Sunray probes are equal . The older models were white and usually bring a little less money than a black.one.The latest ones are black and have a shorter length probe and usually bring more money...
The only difference between a SE and a SE Pro is the Pro coil and stickers on the side of the control box. The Explorer 2 and later models came with the preferred black carbon fiber lower rods... Long story short, I would recommend a XS2 or SE with a Pro coil & a probe mounted on a black upper shaft. Probe color and length are personal choices and one may actually prefer a white probe or the longer length probe...... The screens on all model are somewhat easily scratched and or gouged.. Look closely at screen condition and see if you can live with its looks.. wildherre
[/size]

I think you would be very happy. I bought a used SE from Bryce and have been having a lot of fun. It came with the sunray probe and I really like it.

Lot of good info there Wildherre. Not sure i agree about that slim line thou. I know many people prefer the EXII coil over the standard slimline.... and i think there might have even been some bad ones out there. Mine did a pretty bang up job before i switched over to the SEF. I dont disagree that people might want to give less for a SE with a slimline, but i think its gotten a bad rap.

Dew

wildherre gave an excellent response with info many don't usually think of.

Good deals are there to be had on any and all explorers right now.

I have to agree with his opinion on the stock SE slimline coil because I have had and used 4 different ones with all varying serial production #'s...and I did not keep any of the 4 very long.

There were possibly some "not so good ones out there. as was confirmed to me by minelab a few years ago. They told me some of them might possibly be wound differently than others which caused some instability.

They were very kind about it and replaced the one on my new SE after a few months of frustrating hunts with it.

The new one was much better...but still did not seem very stable...at least not as it should be.

At that time many SE users discovered that the stock EX2 1050 coil really improved the performance on the SE...so there was a rush to buy 1050 coils.

To this day I have had 4 stock SE slimline coils and sold them all. I have also purchased 2 stock EX2 1050 coils...and still have them both.

In fact when the 1050 coils were selling for $150 is when i bought one of them...and I do not regret it even though you can readily find them for $65 to $75 now.

Anyway...whichever explorer you buy...HAVE FUN...unless you are going to hunt in IL. If that's the case...please buy something else:clapping:

Thanks Guys, I currently swing the f75ltd light weight but I hear impressive things about the explorers with the 15 inch wot coil.......hh.......Dan