Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

imagination going wild

OCDfinder

Somebody know what this is? Looks like a broken sword, but this piece weighs about 2#. Wood splitter with knobs, wood working tool. Note the opposing green indentions marked by green rectangle. Thanks!

Uek8Ymu.jpg

b2THZo1.jpg

n/t

Too thick'n heavy with no fastening holes to be part of a door hinge. Door hinges aren't typically tapered.
Looking at the side view taper and its only 1/2 thickness, looks to be a wood cutting blade of some kind.
Not a small ax or hatchet blade, no visible means of attaching a handle that i can see although i think native Americans did attach stone blades to their tomahawks with leather bands somehow.

Its too small for a log splitter but could be an antique woodworking splitter for smaller woodworking jobs.
The two side protrusions could be there to prevent the wedge from becoming imbedded too deep in the wood preventing it from getting stuck.

That would be my guess, an antique woodworking splitter wedge OR a blade for an antique woodworking plane or tree bark shaving tool of some kind.

But those rectangular indentations are puzzling. They could be there for attaching a handle making it a hoe or scrapper of somekind which i doubt because looking at the top view the indentations aren't centered in the piece.

If those indentations are at the thickest end of the wedge maybe they're there for clamping and keeping the blade straight in a vintage woodworking plane.
All wild a$$ guesses at this point.

The only problem with it being a splitter is that it is not used. The hammered end is not beaten up anything I have seen that has been used to split anything has an edge on one end and the other end looks like it is beaten on the other. Except for weight a plane blade would be a better guess.

HH