Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

IMHO

mattockman

When someone says they hunted a pounded out park and post almost 30 coins or better......then obviously it is not a pounded out park.....

In my neck of the woods a pounded park will only warrent 2-3 coins 8 hr. hunt.......Tops!

I maybe wrong but that is my definition of a pounded out park.

Just trying to understand terminology here. Have a good day.

Good post. To me a pounded park is just that...a pounded park. Whether it gives up no coins....5 coins...or 15 coins...doesn't matter IMHO.
I have some parks that each and every time I go there...there are 2 or 3 other fellers' there swingin' explorers. In those same parks back in the 80's...there were always 3 or 4 fellers' there swingin Whites...Fishers...etc...and I was one of 'em :biggrin:
My point is that these same parks I'm talking about have been beat to death for 30 years...or "pounded". Some days I find absolutely ZERO...while some other days I might find 3 or 4 coins. When a new coil comes out...ground gets moved around...a lot of moisture saturates the ground...etc...I'll hit the same pounded park...and might pop out 10 or 15 coins. I just never know. Take care

Im with you Bryce, there are a lot of people pounding these parks now days. To me a pounded out park is one that has stopped produceing those rare pieces of silver.... because thats what im looking for. Some of these parks around me have been hit hard since the 70's. I can bring home 20 coins a day pretty easy even in hard pounded parks.... but not silver. I really appreciate seeing other NEW hunters dragging out the clad and junk for me.

My definition of a hunted out park is one that has continued to be hunted for years by dozens of other hunters.These old parks are great test beds for new equipment .These old parks are like worked out mines,and when they start consistently producing the older finds helps to re enforce that the equipment and hunting skills have improved.

I wish I could say the same about parks here. There aren't many to begin with, and the ones that are here are pounded. You are lucky to have such fruitful parks and I agree technology has come along way with machines and coils. The E-trac forum got me going on this, and I get mixed reviews about that machine...it really gets me to wonder exactly what the big diff. is.....I will never know, cause I will probably never get one. We just got a crap load of more snow, so it looks like we just got to read about others finds...Good Luck Bryce, and may the Silver Gods be with you.

I think a pounded park is a park that has been hit over and over again. Every park I hit has been pounded here in NY. But not by alot of minelabs:clapping:so the finds still come. And these parks are so huge, no matter how many times they get pounded there is no way everything has been even close to being pulled out of the grond...so let the poundings continue!!:usaflag:

Man Chris, I wish we had parks like NY, large and plenty of room for everybody....No such parks out this way like that....My sister lives in NY(Upstate), I should visit her sometime this year, she lives on an Island I think, that use to be an old Army base....

In Large parks like that, the honey holes are usualy the off to the side places not many think of trying....Good Luck Chris....Have a good one :cheers:

I AM IN EAST TENNESSEE AND THE PARKS AROUND HERE ARE SMALL AND NOT VERY OLD, NOT THAT I CAN TELL ANYWAY.

mattockman, I totally agree. I sometimes read a post about someone taking a certain machine, with a certain machine with a certain setting or coil combination, to a "worked out park", and reporting that they found reams of more old deeper (or masked, or whatever) coins. It's as if they're saying "the setting I'm describing" or the "brand/unit I switched to", or "the coil I changed over to" brought out all these goodies in a previously "worked out" park. And then newbies read those posts, and assume there's a magic bullet that they too can take to hammered parks. But then when you read about whatever variation it is they're talking about (if you are familiar with the setup they're pushing), you may be tempted to think "there's nothing special about that, that an Explorer (or whatever) can't already do". So you're left to realize that the "worked out" park they're talking about, really isn't worked out to begin with. They're simply working a park where modern power-house machines haven't picked very clean yet, or local hunters are too timid to chase whispers, or whatever.

I think a lot has to do with the user and possible the location or state. We all know each state has different soil situations and some parks are trashyer than others. You cant dispute something is working if you are getting those whispers at the 8 to 10 inch range. I can tell you from all my traveling some locations are REALLY tuff to hunt. Some users just cant seem to get more than 4 or 5 inches in their area. Im hunting inland Florida right now and i go from 15" to just a couple. I have a park back home that has a lot of ground EMI from electric lines. Ive managed to pick out about 10 pieces of silver so far. But get away from the area and silver is a rare find. There are times less sensitivity is better because of large deep iron. That iron can be seen much deeper than say a coin. I think thats why sometimes auto sensitivity is a better choice.

Hello Tom. If I may quote your post above..."It's as if they're saying "the setting I'm describing" or the "brand/unit I switched to", or "the coil I changed over to" brought out all these goodies in a previously "worked out" park."

IMHO It does work that way in many cases for many people. Thank goodness for this forum and some of the guys here who you say are "pushing" their setup. If has been tested and proven by numerous different people...and then helps a new hunter find more coins or relics...then that would seem to be what these treasure hunter forums are for in my opinion. I am a relatively new hunter to the explorer line having only couple of years on mine. I have followed 2 or 3 very successful hunters on this forum and even another person who doesn't post on this site. I have tried a different coil and tried some of their settings on this forum. The results have been a complete turnaround for me and my finds increased a bunch.
I have been able to go back to my "worked out parks" and as you put it..."found reams of more old deeper (or masked, or whatever) coins".
I assure you the parks have been hammered by guys who know the explorer well. They are not timid and chase everything that makes a noise. They too will finally give up on the park until a different machine or something comes out. Most of them keep their machine but I see them often using a new or different coil. A lot of what you said above is exactly what they say to me-that a new coil or some settings they tried have helped them to find a few more coins. A couple of them have done mostly all metal hunting but have been trying different things lately. Sensitivity changes or a tiny bit of iron mask or a big /small coil change or low gain etc. Some of the conductive hunters have in turn tried all metal to see if they might do better.
If that wasn't the case and it didn't work like that then all the coins would have been gone from all the parks 20 years ago.
That is the very reason that all of us today can go back to these same places and still get a coin or a few coins sometimes.
A park that was considered worked out 5 to 7 years ago was not worked out any longer after the explorer xs came out.
Now with newer machines and different coils and a lot of good people willing to share their advice----the worked out or pounded park of a couple years ago will still give up some finds sometimes IMHO.

My only thought is a worked out park does not give up 30 coins in a day.....if it does then in my eyes it is not a worked out park, just a poorly worked out park, or a spot nobody ever looked at before....If I did it, I would say that I thought it was a worked out park, but since I found 30 coins today, I guess I must be wrong.....Thats all.....not beating on anybody specific....just think it odd.....Terminology.....

They are big..and real trashy..so u gotta work around alot of crap..I find tons of wheats that I guess other detectorists like to leave in the ground,but some decent silver too. There are only a handull of parks that u are allowed to detect in and only with a permit. So its still a challenge. Anytime you come up this way let me know, maybe we can hit a few, Im sure u would do well. Be good, hope to see you at NH Bobs hunt.:cheers:

Everyone has a different definition of "pounded out". When someone mentions a "pounded out" park, I take it with a grain of salt. It is impossible to remove all the coins and relics from any given place, but the decent finds can become fewer and farther between. Seasonal changes affect the ground, removal of foliage can enable better hunting, park landscaping, etc, can all reveal previously hidden items. I'm not talking about clad and newer jewelry but older coins and jewelry/relics. I hit some parks and will maybe find a few silver coins but not like I have in the past. the frequency just isn't there. I'm also a creature of habit and as much as I try to "shake up" my ideas about where to hunt in a park or what techniques to use, I still can fall into the same old routines. Other hunters may employ different strategies and have better success. I'm still trying different things with my SE and just recently got myself a SEF coil. Now when I go out in the Spring to hunt and have some success (fingers crossed) at some of the old "pounded out" parks, I'll have to decide for myself whether or not it is the new coil, seasonal soil shift or different technique that will have lent itself to my latest success. I guess that's what keeps metal detecting interesting to me - you just never really know what will happen.

Crispytoo