Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Impact in Iron

For all of you folks that actually have these machines in your hand do they sniff thru the iron as good as advertised? I am thinking about pulling the trigger on the pro package but I have to know if it will actually be an upgrade in that department from my Whites V3I. I know each machine has its place and its strengths and weaknesses but this feature is the one that I am looking for. The nail board tests have never exited me really. Most users can make their detector signal on a coin during this test if they set it up right, but if you place the coin several inches below the iron that is when most machines struggle and have a problem signaling on the coin. I have not seen any videos with this scenario yet so just thought I would ask the folks using these machines already. Thanks in advance!

Troy V.

It has only happened once so far with me but, did dig a small chunk of lead a couple inches below a thick rusty nail about a inch long. TID read iron all the way but there was a clean sounding high tone coming in almost on top of the iron grunt. That is where IMO the Impact is an improvement over the Racer 2, the audio is quick, clean and intelligent. Not like a beep dig machine where you listen for everything above nail reject settings but similar Digital yet organic if that makes any sense.

Tom

I agree with Tom. Audio is cleaner than previous Nokta machines. It is very good at alerting the operator to the presence of non ferrous in very trashy areas especially with the small coil attached.

I'm not much for tests either. What I can say after swinging the Impact for a few hours now is that it does excel in separation in iron littered sites.Impressively so. VERY fast processor. Everyone gets their panties in a bunch regarding tests and new machines, etc. All I can say is that I've taken the Impact back to very hard hunted sites that are littered with iron trash and pulled good targets from the ground that "shouldn't" have been there. For your needs the small coil is the ticket.

Dean

Well,
I have played with White's V3i and Impact.

The V3i can be set up to recover very fast,,and give tone on targets in iron pits.

I do think comparing both detectors,,both being set to unmask to max,,,Impact with smaller coil deeper,,,audio too is better overall.

Just turn Impact on,, select 20khz,,select mode I. E. Di99 ,,disc 0-3,, id mask to 0,, gain to 85 or so and rock and roll.

Much easier to operate and get near peak to peak performance vs V3i.

Ergonomics better too on I pact cs V3i,,,balance and weight.

the Iron Audio Volume or Fe Volume, correct?

I know I will sometimes reduce the Iron Audio to '0' on my FORS Relic or Impact, but I prefer to keep it at '1' or '2', usually '2', so that I know I am working in close to iron debris which allows me to methodically work the coil around the masking iron.

When the amount of iron litter is not too excessive I like to work in Di99 at times, but prefer Di3 for most places I hunt because it is more 'telling' at helping to audibly and visual classify probably rusty tin. When the ferrous challenge is mostly just nails and other 'wire-iron' type/shape iron, then I prefer Di2. Just for comparison, on my Impact, like my Relic and CoRe, when I am working the smaller DD coils, my start-up programs are in Di3 w/Gain of '99.' Most of the other programs are set with a gain of '95' then I adjust as desired or needed. Usually I don't.

I am enjoying working my regular iron debris fields with the other modes with the Impact. This detector now only performs well, but it is 'fun' to use and that's part of why we're in the activity, to have 'fun.' I also enjoy making other 'on-the-fly' adjustment s with this 3 Frequency model which is MUCH easier to get into action and adjust settings than the White's Spectra series. Not only that, the Impact has superior performance in a dense iron environment.

All the best of success to you.

Monte

Monte said:
the Iron Audio Volume or Fe Volume, correct?

I know I will sometimes reduce the Iron Audio to '0' on my FORS Relic or Impact, but I prefer to keep it at '1' or '2', usually '2', so that I know I am working in close to iron debris which allows me to methodically work the coil around the masking iron.

When the amount of iron litter is not too excessive I like to work in Di99 at times, but prefer Di3 for most places I hunt because it is more 'telling' at helping to audibly and visual classify probably rusty tin. When the ferrous challenge is mostly just nails and other 'wire-iron' type/shape iron, then I prefer Di2. Just for comparison, on my Impact, like my Relic and CoRe, when I am working the smaller DD coils, my start-up programs are in Di3 w/Gain of '99.' Most of the other programs are set with a gain of '95' then I adjust as desired or needed. Usually I don't.

I am enjoying working my regular iron debris fields with the other modes with the Impact. This detector now only performs well, but it is 'fun' to use and that's part of why we're in the activity, to have 'fun.' I also enjoy making other 'on-the-fly' adjustment s with this 3 Frequency model which is MUCH easier to get into action and adjust settings than the White's Spectra series. Not only that, the Impact has superior performance in a dense iron environment.

All the best of success to you.

Monte

No I meant Imask,,,which it is actually labeled isat on the screen.
Imask for disc modes,,isat for am modes.

Imask setting here in my area affects depth,,,max depth = 0 setting.

got to thinking that's also what you might have meant.

In your earlier post you had 'id mask' and I spend a lot of time with my FORS CoRe and FORS Relic units with ID Mask used to reference Discrimination that I just read it that way. No biggie since it's now clear for me and other readers who might have taken it the same way I did. I understand the iSAT and iMASK dual function, it just didn't click when I read the 'd' in the post.

Monte

I want to test the iSAT mode in alkali soil using the DI3 and VLX2 modes. Some of the areas have heavy iron, but the alkali soil is the largest challenge.

Cal_Cobra said:
I want to test the iSAT mode in alkali soil using the DI3 and VLX2 modes. Some of the areas have heavy iron, but the alkali soil is the largest challenge.

Just remember in di3 and vlx2,, since those are disc modes,,,what you see in isat window is Imask setting.

Go to AM miodes,,you will see isat setting in the isat window.

The more minerlized,,,the more I mask setting will affect depth of targets.
As you start upping the Imask when sweeping,,signal will get choppier,,keep going up level wise,,can disappear,,,smaller targets this could affect more with each level setting as it is increased.
Can the detector run a little quieter with higher Imask setting??
Sure,,but depth can be sacrificed too.
I'll put up with a little extra noise for a little more depth,,or maybe make a fringe depth detail sound just a tad better.

I can run a little higher than level 0 and get good depth,,but I leave mine at 0.

Is not possible to compare Whites Spectra to Impact. Whites machine (I have it) is terrible slow is disc. mode... but overall performance for multi freq. machine is awesome, ID special.

Wasn't asking for a comparison just simply asking how the Impact performed in a heavy iron infested situation. I was merely stating what machine I have been using and I am looking for a upgrade in this scenario. The V definitely has many strengths but also has a few weaknesses. Just looking for the next detector to fill the void in that department.

Voorheese231 i have two threads where i asked the testers to test the same scenario. I only got ridiculed mostly but a dealer who does not sell nokta did buy a machine and did a test where a silver quarter was buried at 4 inches, then two rusty nails were placed two inches above the quarter with the heads at the edge of the quarter ,180 degrees from each other. Hole was filled. He sent me some videos that i can send to you if you pm me with your email. Would be happy to share the info.

Trashfinder said:
Voorheese231 i have two threads where i asked the testers to test the same scenario. I only got ridiculed mostly but a dealer who does not sell nokta did buy a machine and did a test where a silver quarter was buried at 4 inches, then two rusty nails were placed two inches above the quarter with the heads at the edge of the quarter ,180 degrees from each other. Hole was filled. He sent me some videos that i can send to you if you pm me with your email. Would be happy to share the info.

Did you buy an impact?

thanks...

AJ