Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

In General

Elton

What settings is best on the V3i for basic coin shooting.. Hobby type hunting. Not dedicated life style LOL

There is so many settings......I'm sure there just has to be an easy set up.

Which filter settings work best overall ?.

I would start out with the factory Hi Pro program Elton and go out and have fun. You will gain experience and knowledge as time goes by. The V3i is really a very good turn on and go hunting detector that can be tweaked but I wouldn't worry about any of the adjustments except RX Gain and Discrimination Sensitivity to make the V3i stable if necessary.

The C/J program is even milder and the screen will not be as sensitive and therefore will run cleaner. I like and use the Hi Pro but try the C/J for a while.

If using the C&J, I would suggest turning on the VCO to aid in better pinpointing but Rob right, the C&J is another fine factory program.

I have to agree with Rob here.Will give you a better chance of learning what adjustments do.Hi pro is a little advanced if you are learning the machine. Yazoo

I owned one before..just never really used it much. I let it intimidate me right out of the box first time around. LOL How's that for honesty !!

Very honest, most people don't use the V3i to its full potential. I think if they did the V3i would be be even more popular.

Good luck Elton.

I am open to lot's of help so if you feel like it, just send me some PM's everyone.. I promise your help will not be unheeded by me...

Click on Rob's Links at the top Elton, just about everything you will ever need to know is there.........:biggrin:

Take someone elses programs with a grain of salt, again the factory programs are VERY good and tweak them to YOUR ground and hunting style, you will do fine.

The Hi Pro runs higher gains but you can do this with any of the programs. What makes the program different from the rest of the programs is the base threshold and resolution settings. They make the the program more sensitive to smaller signals but make the spectragraph more busy and cluttered for new users.

Start with the base program and don't make changes until you know what they do. Get a good G/B and try to find the correct ground filter. Give the 5 band a try.

I personally like to run the Coin program for coins and the 5Band filter with pinpoint VCO "on." I also have gone to lower RX gain and higher DS sensitivity, instead of maxing for the highest gain. I read on the Whites site that higher DS was where detection sensitivity paid off. I usually run in single digits in gain for any coil besides the 4x6, and a DS of 91-94, AM set 20 points below DS. The V3i with the stock coil works great even down as low as RX5 with the higher DS. I seem to get less falsing than I do when I optimize for high gain and moderate DS. Anyway the concept of higher DS at the cost of gain for better detetection and separation came right out of the Fox's mouth...at least in one of his replies. I don't believe I dreamt reading it that way.

I hardly ever stray from C&J(tot lots) and Coin.

martin

E,

Yes, the cj program is the way to go....starting out.....then when you get used to it...try the hi pro. As Larry said...switch the vco....its better. Otherwise, you are good to go....out of the box.

As for filters......as Larry said.....be careful about the holy grail of settings....It ALL depends on your soil, ground conditions, mineralization, emi etc. Get use to the machine for a while then play with the filters etc. You will know right away if you are getting deeper or not right away but after awhile of use.

I like the v3i for gold and hunting in trash......you can weed out a lot of trash on a high reliable basis...quickly from target to target.

Good Luck

C&J is just too noisy for me if I am purely coinshooting. Plain and simple Coin cuts out the Vdi sounds in the 30s and 40s, and especially the foil numbers 15 down to 0, where coins dont fall anyway. jm2c martin

Everyone has their own program. I never use the coin program, too much discrimination for me. But that is me. It is quieter there is no doubt.

n/t

I agree about the coin program, I use C&J and the hi pro mostly. I have made some simple changes to the program just to make them run hotter and smoother in the ground I detect in. I'm learning the analyzing part. The most important thing for me is I'm having fun, finding things and learning the machine.
Johan

h2oyo said:
The most important thing for me is I'm having fun, finding things and learning the machine.
Johan

That is exactly the right attitude and your priorities are in the right order as well. Well said :thumbup:

Larry (IL) said:
h2oyo said:
The most important thing for me is I'm having fun, finding things and learning the machine.
Johan

That is exactly the right attitude and your priorities are in the right order as well. Well said :thumbup:

OH come on.....your going to get FUN involved? Is that allowed?:blink:

Rob and I as well as others have been trying to tell you El that you do NOT have to master the V3i to get great results. You are letting the flexibility of the V3i and others intimidate you. A lot of side by side testing has been done by a number of users who have Minelabs and the V3i, every target found with a Minelab can be heard with the V3i, sadly that can not be said the other way around. Also the EMI rejection of the V is great compared to many of the other top end detectors.

The Signal strength on the V3i might not be as strong or give a good target ID on extremely deep targets but with experience, you will know there is something way down there to dig. With some in field use you will quickly learn the language the V3i speaks........... which is true for all new detectors.

Think of the V3i as a high end camera...... I just bought one on EBay.........:biggrin: It has over 100 adjustments and settings that I can try to learn before I even get my hands on it and drive myself nuts......... OR...... I can learn what I need to know and put the settings on AUTO and be assured that it will take excellent pictures 99% of the time. The V3i works just the same........ factory program, ground balance and go hunting.

If you can't establish confidence in your detector, you might as well sell it Elton, or you will always be questioning your better judgement instead of enjoying the hobby.