Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

In Water screened floating Classifier

tippyhound

I am looking to purchase a in water screened floating material classifier for water hunting. Can anyone give me a good source for one or plans to build one. Thanks for your help Rick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkZ2-pE9V7Y

[attachment 185739 SuperSifter2012Large.jpg]

I used a Garrett's clarifier with larger holes for a while to quickly remove larger stuff, but removed it as I found it wasn't necessary.

A Vibraprobe is very useful for locating tiny bits of metal in the sifter.

In fact in low light with my old eyes it is absolutely necessary!

CJ

Kellyco has one on sale for under 30 bucks, its a rubber innertube with a grate, looks pretty nice.

Always be careful when using inflatable items for treasure hunting. It is very easy to poke or rub a hole in the cheap inner-tube they use.

The entire sifter I posted above has no metal such as an air valve stem on an inner tube so that I can check the sifter with my coil for the target.

There is metal weight dragging behind it on a fifteen foot long cord for stability, but not within range of the coil.

If I can't find it with my eyes, I use the Vibra-Probe to locate it in the sifter.

The 4" foam floaty can't "go flat" and will last for several seasons in the colder waters of the Connecticut shore.

GL&HH,

CJ

I made my sifter with a feed dish from TSC and an inner tube.

[attachment 185789 sifterresized.jpg]

Adding a small anchor like CJ did works really well when working down wind, down current it keeps the sifter from crowding you but pullis just as easily. It will also leave a drag mark if you work in water where you can see the bottom. I also use a vibra probe to locate the targets that I can't eyeball. It really makes a differance picking out the small algae covered stuff that you would probably never find by eye.For most of the regular stuff this is what you see after a couple of minutes.

[attachment 185788 sifterwithtoeringandclad1resized.jpg]

I have used my sifter in waves on lake michigan that no sane hunter would ever venture into and I can tell you the sifter did way better than I did!!!!

It is like a turtle out of water so its only good for water hunting!!! I have never popped an inner tube but there is no question it could be done!! I'm gonna try to get my wife to sew me a cover out of nylon for this year. I have a belly boat for bluegill fishing that is covered with nylon and it still has the original tube from many years ago and its been around the block several times.

The main reason I wanted a sifter to begin with was to carry my scoop. I quickly found out that its an indepensible tool.

[attachment 185787 revcfloatinginsifter1resized.jpg]

Hope this helps.

Steve :)

OldBeechnut said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkZ2-pE9V7Y

I can just picture me lugging that sucker down to the surf and using it in rough water. I guess U could always climb up in it and take a nap if you got too tired hunting
When I use one and that is very seldom I cut the bottom off of a 5 gal plastic pail. insert a colander and tie it in with cable ties and wrap the whole thing with a foam tube from WW Cost under $5.00 and it is LITE! Sorry, no video...

Here's one I made out of 2 1/2" PVC pipe and Rock Guard screen material( rubber). No metal at all used. The yellow thing is my finds pouch.

errick said:
can just picture me lugging that sucker down to the surf and using it in rough water. I guess U could always climb up in it and take a nap if you got too tired hunting

If "U",... watched the Video "U",..... would have notice that I made 2, a lite one for sifting AND the Heavy one for "Lugging" in the Gold & Silver:lol: