Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

In Your Opinion, what constitutes a Ghost Town to you?

Roscue2

I ask this because I am sure many have a slightly differing idea of what makes up a true ghost town. To some it may need to have no one living or operating a business within a towns limits, while to others it may simply be a town that has barely anyone living there, and no businesses, ect. Of course, this second example could also be considered a semi-ghost town, but its up to the beholder for the most part.

IMHO, I consider a ghost town to be, for the most part, void of residents, and with no businesses in operation. So basically the town folk have to travel to a nearby town to buy supplies and what not.

So, what is a ghost town?

from what i've read a lot of the better ghost town finds come from vacant fields and woods where a town once stood. some are also a lot smaller than they once were. good luck

A Ghost town, in my opinion means NO ONE LIVES THERE any more. Unfortunately
the the term has come to mean a population of 0 to a handful...a town dying out. But
in my opinion it means zero, zilch, nada, completely deserted.

Here in Indiana, there are many town refered to as ghost towns but people still live there
meaning it is haunted by the living, albeit not many.
robt2300

For the sake of what we do, metal detecting Id consider a "Ghost Town" to be what was once there. An area containing more than 1 or 2 cellar hole or foudations.
Well that's MO anyhoo!
In films you'd expect to see a dusty old west delapitated strip of town completely void of people.
In the hobby of MDing you'd expect to see nothing. In fact id think the less you see the better. That should indicate very old.,
I've heard guys have found ghost towns or nice old cellar holes by seeing an impression in the forest and hitting old square nails and old ferrous material.

Thanks for all your opinions. Some interesting ideas, and I can see the light in all of them. :)