Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

In your opinion, what is the deepest

In my expereince, thye are all pretty equal.

You can use a larger coil, but I hve found that a larger coil loses a degree of sensitivity to smaller targets and picks large, deep metal better.

I think that the Golden is limited to depth compared to the Outlaw and other models. I know that in the right soil condition, the Outlaw is capable of finding a quarter at 10". The Golden is not able to do this. In my experience, the Golden could reach maybe 9".

Most of the Tesoro's that I have used got relatively the same depth, seems that the Conquistador

Have you tried a Tejon?

tabman

Thanks guys for your replies.

Tabman, no I haven't tried a Tejon, I've always wanted to though. I read a lot of mixed reviews, I really don't know what to think of it.

I think the eldorado is deeper than the golden for sure and Like I said before-but it could be my soil is mild.
The sidewinder umax I sold found a penny in my yard at 9" and it was loud and clear..I thought about getting it back more than once.
David

How about the Vaquero? How does that compare to the Golden/ Outlaw?

The Eldorado with the 10x12 concentric coil would hit relics well past 12" in this mild ground in coastal S.C. I need my head examined for ever trading this machine.

So now I'll save up and get a Vaquero or Tejon. I have finally learned that for me, nothing beats Tesoro in my hunting conditions.

I do know that the Tesoros detect deeper with a slow sweep speed-I can gain 1-2", depending on the ground and size of the object-the reason being they are 2-filter machines. With the fast response, it's easy to think the other way around.

Question, when i have the sensitivity, and threshold both maxed out, that is "super tuned"? Now, there is another type of tune done with ground balance, that is supposed to give you even more depth..There are some areas around here where the ground is a delight to cut divots into.. But the coins all seem to want to visit China..So, I need depth, and there is no getting around it.I'll use slingshot's advice on going slow,with better over laps.

Which currant Tesoro replaced the Eldorado? Why did they stop making it? I've looked into it, sounds like the Eldorado was the donkey's testicles. Perhaps the Outlaw outperforms it in every way?

The Magician said:
Thanks guys for your replies.

Tabman, no I haven't tried a Tejon, I've always wanted to though. I read a lot of mixed reviews, I really don't know what to think of it.

I think that many get intimidated by all the dials and never really learn it, and its capabilities. Then some give up and slam it after never really getting everything out of it. Just my view, yours may vary depending on milage.:)

allcav said:
I think that the Golden is limited to depth compared to the Outlaw and other models. I know that in the right soil condition, the Outlaw is capable of finding a quarter at 10". The Golden is not able to do this. In my experience, the Golden could reach maybe 9".

What kind of average depth do you get on an old silver dime and old copper small cent with the Golden ? From what I've read, it is a bit on the shallower side. Am I misinformed ? Can a Golden hit these coins in a farm field with moderate soil at 6-7 inches ?

I have, and still do, use Tesoro models since the 1983 release of the Inca. I checked out some previous units, but the Inca started me on a new direction when it came to hunting western-state ghost towns, pioneer and military encampments, homesteads, or urban renovation that was iron nail infested. Almost any Tesoro model, when worked in the Discriminate mode, has proven to be an excellent performer when nails and other smaller iron-based trash was the greatest offender at a site. For that, only a few models from competitors have met the challenge.

Now, when it comes to depth-of-detection, I can't really say I have figured any Tesoro to be near the top of the results board in that race. There is no such thing as a 'perfect' detector and that's why I like top keep two or three (minimum) in my personal detector battery, each equipped with the best search coil I feel compliments its field performance ability, then I grab the best tool for the task when I hunt various sites.

No, I am not saying they all stink. Most Tesoro's can get very satisfactory depth, but I am not a real depth monster because way too many sites have shallower or nearby junk that can mask a good target signal, and that makes it tougher to get maximum depth. We all know that under most circumstances, hunting in a true, Threshold-based and properly Ground Balanced All Metal mode any detector ought to show its best potential. So it will depend on if you're trying to find just absolute depth, or possible depth in a Discriminate mode when using some amount of trash target rejection.

Let me add, also, that being a Tesoro Dealer from '83 thru late '04 I checked similar models on a side-by-side basis and one thing I noticed about many Tesoro models was that I could find some obvious differences in performance from one lot or production run to another. I used to check all the incoming models and update my personal unit when I found a 'hot' specimen compared to my same model. I also noted an occasional wimpy-performance model as well. But, to give you the best answer I can, based upon using a lot of Tesoro's for almost thirty years now, the deepest seeking Tesoro I ever owned was an Eldorado,

Thanks Monte. I am looking for a situational detector, the Golden is my main unit. I am hoping I can trade my White's GMT for an Explorer 2, and use the Explorer 2 for depth situations. My Golden will remain my all-rounder. I do have the old discontinued 10" round concentric, why this coil is not made anymore is beyond me, this coil is stunning to say the least, I can't take it off. Let me know if you want to hear more about it.

I am still however, interested in a deep Tesoro unit. The Eldorado sounds great, I'd be interested to hear how that goes against the Outlaw. So for not, it's between the Eldorado and the Outlaw.

The Magician said:
I am hoping I can trade my White's GMT for an Explorer 2, and use the Explorer 2 for depth situations.
I have now owned at least 8 Explorer models, to include the XS (2), II (5) and SE Pro (1) and I live in an area with pretty higher iron mineralized ground in NW Oregon. I also hunt many challenging sites throughout Oregon, Idaho, Utah, Nevada and Wyoming. I will say the Explorer 'series' can get reasonably decent depth, but that's mainly because they can produce a reasonably good TID on some mid-depth (

machineman said:
I consistantly dig deeper targets with my Outlaw 8"cc coil than with my Conq 9"x8".

Thanks, good interesting info, are you getting more sensitivity as well? Mind you, you'd expect to go deeper with an 8" coil than the 9x8, all other things being equal.