Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Indoor test plot / garden?

kellogg

Maybe a goofy question, but has anyone built a little testing area indoors using totes filled with soil? I'd think you'd be able to create some very interesting situations. I'm at the point where my outside hunting is about at a standstill.

To have a meaningful test garden you need to simulate natural conditions. ie rain, snow, freezing, grass decomposition, time for coins and other target to get a more natural halo effect that you find in the field. I have always used 5 years as rule of thumb for a more realistic test garden.
An inside test garden would maybe at best be slightly better than a simple air test. But that is just my opinion.

PryorCreekJoe said:
To have a meaningful test garden you need to simulate natural conditions. ie rain, snow, freezing, grass decomposition, time for coins and other target to get a more natural halo effect that you find in the field. I have always used 5 years as rule of thumb for a more realistic test garden.
An inside test garden would maybe at best be slightly better than a simple air test. But that is just my opinion.

This guy Joe is right

Unless you’re living like the Unabomber,an inside ANYTHING regarding a detector will give you bizarre results at best. The reason...electrical interference. Also remember...the coil will pick up nails in your floor,plumbing(copper) and EMI coming from every possible thing in your house,including the wiring itself. Although the weather is something that a lot of us would like to avoid at this time of year,the above stands true....nothing really compares to finding coins in the wild for a learning experience. To make sure your equipment is working properly and to get a general idea of a machines capabilities,a properly constructed outdoor test garden can certainly be beneficial. I wouldn’t set one up INDOORS though. That’s just me...