Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Infinium, headphones and other upgrades

Steve from Ohio

I was wondering if the Infinium can use after market headphones like the underwater Gray Ghosts or the land version of Gray Ghosts? Or am I going to have to do with the factory land and underwater headphones?

I am going to upgrade to a straight shaft and also get a belt mount. Any other recommendations as to upgrades?

Will the Infinium out perform a VLF machine on the beach? I've used an E-trac, an Excalibur 800, a Fisher 1260 and a Fisher F-70 on the beach. Will it be able to outperform those?

And finally, coils. Which coil is best for beach hunting? Dry sand and in the water. I'll be in Florida and also the Outer Banks with it.

G/Day Steve From Ohio,

If the Impedance of the Grey ghosts is around the 8 to 16 Ohm mark then they will work OK. I tried a set of el cheapo 8 ohm headphones without volume controls and the first strong signal I got nearly took my head off; It was so loud that I was dizzy for a few seconds and my ears ached for two days. so whatever you use make sure it has volume controls. They have to be wired for Mono. Also you will probably find that if you use higher than 16 ohm Headphones you will begin to get a loss of sensitivty. (headphone sensitivity not detector sensitivity)

Infiniumexplorer Excalibur said:
How can you put aftermarket underwater headphones on the Infinium?

Change the plug on the headphone wire to one that fits the audio socket on the Infinium LS.

Or; make an adaptor.

Rather than use a set with adjustable volume there is the option of using layers of rubber gasket material cut and placed in each ear cup to reduce the volume.

I have had to do that with both my Garrett's under-water and my Senheiser head-phones to dampen the volume so I can use the machine.

Before that I was being tortured by blasts of sound and even the Garrett's headphones with volume control didn't solve the problem for me.

Once I did that I started to make sense of what the machine was telling me and my finds started to get better.

I hope this helps,

CJ

ivanll said:
Infiniumexplorer Excalibur said:
How can you put aftermarket underwater headphones on the Infinium?

Change the plug on the headphone wire to one that fits the audio socket on the Infinium LS.

Or; make an adaptor.

Since you can't get Infinium plugs I assume that you cut one off the Infinium headphones and attach it to the aftermarket headphones? Is it easy to work out which wires to connect, have you done this yourself?

What I really want is a u/w headphone with a longer cord. I was thinking about just lengthening the cable, not sure, hope it's as simple as getting any old cable and connecting the same coloured wires.

Call Garrett, they sell the blank plugs, around 20 dollars total.

I have the Infinium 10x14 and the excals 8 & 10, the Infinium does go deeper but not by much. The Excal 8 can hit 16 to 17 inchs wet sand in OC Md in Almetal/PP, the 10 18/19 plus inchs in AM/PP, and the infinium 20 Plus. In naples fl.... the excal 10 could only hit 10 inchs in the water there, the infinium was hitting 18. Got video coming out soon with ron lord using the 10x14 on the gulf side, excellent for calm waters. Don't have a Etrac, but they hit very deep. My SE can hit as deep as the infinium on land, wet sand no..Etrac would give it a run for the money, let us know on that. Good Luck ...joe

Garrett_HeadphoneConnectorParts.jpg

n/t

Did you not care for the E-Trac on the beach? I could not believe how deep I was digging coins and jewelry on the beach with my E-Trac. Dug coins up to 18 inches and a bracelet close to 2 feet. The E-Trac was like a Ring magnet for me, Found 14 rings in one week while on vacation and that was competing with several other detectorists in the same area with at least 4 other Minelabs.

I am considering an Infinium LS so I can get in the water some to sniff out the rings the other guys are not getting because they don't get in the water.

BCOOP Missouri

I liked the E-trac on the dry sand but was not willing to go anywhere near the water with it any more. The ocean has a way of surprising you with a great big wave every once in a while and I like digging in the wet sand at low tide. I found tons of nice rings there but the waves had me
jumping to pick up the E-trac before it got hit. I vowed never to use the E-trac in the wet sand ever again.

I under stand, I used mine last July on the beach and I really enjoyed how deep I was digging rings, coins and junk jewelry. I myself am looking at water machines but not sure what I want to get, especially when it will be for vacation use. No beaches in Missouri except at the lakes.

BCOOP