Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Input please on upgrading my detector

Fanger

Hello everybody, I really need some experianced input here. Me and my wife detect for a thing that we can do together and we both love it! We have been doing this for about 15 years and have been using whits MXT pro detectors and have had pretty good luck with them but now I am thinking anout upgrading to something up the scale but am totally at a loss as to which way to go. I am hoping to hear some totally unbiased input on what you experianced metal detectives think and my old ears are wide open for your input. We pretty much relic hunt but do love old coins and anything old we can find. Every place that we detect have been heavy hunted for years and we arent filthy rich but dont really want price to play a huge roll in which detector we get, BUTT I will be buying 2 , one apiece, so I do have to keep that in mind. Im not intrested in gps or that sort of quirks but am more into depth and overall performance in thrashed out hunted spots. SO my question is which detector do you believe would put more old stuff in our bag????

I hunt with my brother in law and his MXT pro has always impressed me, he is good. I was a tesoro user and went with the nox 800 when it first came out. 6 months later i was doing better and dug less junk. I never used a deus or legend but multi freq is a game changer. See which audio suits you best and also watch "getting started" videos on each to see what operating style you like and feel comfortable learning. Good luck, wish my wife would detect :)

I would think a Nautilus DMC II would be right up your alley for hunting relics. It’s an older machine but relic hunters LOVED it.

You state that you use an MXT Pro and have had "pretty good luck". If you are finding good things with your present detectors as you say why change? Many people think that if you buy the latest and greatest you will find a lot more things. That is not necessarily the case. Metal detector technology really has not advanced much in many years regardless of what the metal detector manufacturers say. They would like you to think otherwise because they have a vested interest in selling you the shiny new detector they have for sale. You may get a few more features with the newer detectors but the underlining technology has not changed much in my opinion. And when you think about the cost involved to get the newer features is it really worth it? Only you can decide that. The MXT Pro is a very tried and true design and many detectorists have had great success with it.
With all that said it is fun to try something new but that comes with a steep cost. Only you can decide if the cost is worth it.
My recommendation if you decide to go with the latest and greatest would be a Garrett Apex. It is a multi-freq design that may detectorists like. Made in the USA by a company with legendary after-sale support and is "moderately priced".

You have a bunch of really good options.

Multi-Frequency (in no particular order):
XP Deus II - pricing from $800 to $1500 (list pricing).
Minelab Equinox (600, 700, 800, 900) - pricing from $600 to $1200 (list pricing).
Minelab Manticore - around $1500 (list pricing).
Minelab Vanquish (340, 440, 540) - roughly $225 - $500 (list pricing).
Nokta Legend - pricing from $400 to $700 (list pricing).
Garrett Apex - pricing from $400 to $500 (list pricing).

Selectable Frequency:
XP Deus 1 - pricing from $500 to $1000.
XP ORX - pricing around $500
Minelba Xterra Pro - not out yet, but the base machine lists for $269
Nokta Anfibio - pricing around $650? (not sure off the top of my head).

Single Frequency:
Nokta Simplex - pricing from roughly $250 - $340
New Simplex models have been announced, but I doubt we'll see them from a number of months.
Deeptech Vista X - a beep and dig machine with two discriminators. No screen - great machine.

All of the above will be lighter weight than the MXT (the Anfibio is the heaviest of the bunch - it isn't much lighter than the MXT). The XP products are amazingly light weight, but very well made.
The Vanquish models, the Apex, the Vista X, the Deus 1, and the ORX are not waterproof. The rest of the above are waterproof.

Were it me making the decision, I'd lean toward the Legend, XP models, or the Vista X. Plenty of other hunters would choose one of the Minelab models.

Call one of the forum sponsors for your best deal. I highly recommend Richard at Backwoods Detectors. Bart at Big Boys Hobbies is excellent as well.

Good luck with whichever machine you choose.

Thanks for a great post Tahts, good info.
You state that you use an MXT Pro and have had "pretty good luck". If you are finding good things with your present detectors as you say why change?
I like my black powder shotgun but don't take it pheasant hunting, better odds with a semi auto 12 ga. Keep the MXT for a familiar back up.

I'll run my White's till I die (or they do!?). A new detector also will find metal (what else?).
All right, may be it has more whistles and adjustments and will be lighter (now that is an advantage!).
But what else? Deeper? That may be a good thing for the youngers, but right now I feel a foot deep is enough to dig.
Plus we're not allowed to dig deeper than 10 inches.
So if I had the need for a new detector (and that is if all my others quit working and cann't be repaired) it sure will be a Ace Apex.
What ever you decide to do, @Fanger , keep us posted.
Happy Hunting & Have Fun

I love my mxt pro and have done well with it but heres my problem, all of the places the me and my wife hunt have been thrashed for years, we are hunting hard hunted spots but we still find some stuff. I am thinking that if we could get a little more depth it may be like hunting new territory, but I may be wrong about that. I read about some of the new detectors getting more depth but I dont know if that is actually true or not and I dont know if for instance the new minelab manicore would actually go deeper than my mxt pro?? Im not intrested in bells and whistles but would like more depth , but I dont want to junk my mxt pro just to get a new machine. It boils down to the fact that I am trying to scavange more treasue out of hunted out spots.....

I will check out the legend XP and Vista X , I havnt talked to anyone using them. Im in NE louisiana and have a hard time finding someone to quiz about the metal detecting goods so I really appreciate the input yalI are giving . I sm open to any brand but If I do buy a new one (oops it will be two new ones, me and my wifes) I want to be sure that I am improving on what we already are running.

I will check out the Garret Apex too these are all machines that Im not familiar with. There are only a few people that I personally know that metal detect and they either use mxt's or minelabs. Since whites closed down shop it has increased my thoughts about upgrading because our detectors are over 10 years old I think

I used to relic hunt with an MXT and I had great success with it. It is an outstanding detector. At some point though, I decided to try something new. From your post it sounds like you are ready to try something new too.
As Tahts posted, there are many new detectors out there and they are all very capable machines. Since you are going to be buying two, it will be quite expensive to go with Minelabs and XPs flagship models. They are pretty pricey. Nokta's flagship detector (Legend) is half the price and from what I've seen, it's almost as good.
I currently use XPs ORX for relic hunting. It's XPs lowest priced option and its an awesome machine. Fast as lightening, deep, solid TID, and light as a feather. Its price is similar to the legend.
Minelabs new Xterra Pro looks like it's going to be a winner too. Good luck with your decision.

My take...

I've never owned or used the MXT so I cannot compare it to anything else. I did own a V3i, a MX5, and a MX Sport. I loved the V3i and the MX5. I liked the MX Sport. In their time I think all 3 machines were underappreciated performers.
I currently own the Legend, the Anfibio, the ORX, the Deus 1, the Equinox 800, the Vanquish 440, and the Garrett Apex. Well, I don't actually own the Vanquish - it is my wife's machine. I did own the Deeptech Vista X - and very much regret selling it.

For the most part my soil is fairly mild. I much prefer hunting in old sites where iron bits and pieces abound. I prefer smaller coils. I do occasionally hunt the beach (salt water).

All of my current machines have a faster recovery than the Whites machines I did own. Of the Whites machines I did own, the MX5 was the lightest weight. With the exception of the Anfibio, all of my current machines are lighter weight than even the MX5. My guess would be that all of my current machines - with the possible exception of the Apex - are deeper than the Whites machines I did own. I can't be sure about that; it's just my gut feeling.

If your soil is mineralized and/or you hunt saltwater, a multi-frequency machine will provide you with numerous advantages (depth being one, stability being another).

My thoughts on my current machines.

Nokta Legend - If I could keep only 1 of my machines it would be the Legend. I believe it is the most capable (overall) of the machines I currently own. Outstanding build quality. Stock wireless headphones are very good. Excellent (recovery) performance in the iron littered sites I prefer, and in areas with modern trash. Great depth. Great on the saltwater beaches to. Lots of adjustment capability. For me the menu icons are too small (I need glasses to see them). The keypad buttons are difficult to see as well (easily fixed with a white paint pen).

Nokta Anfibio - Great depth. Very good recovery. Outstanding build quality (it is a tank). Lots of adjustment capability. Stock headphones are good (not as good as those for the Legend). Just OK on the saltwater beach. Very good to great elsewhere. I thought the menu was confusing when I first got the machine. (I am used to it now - and it is fine)

Minelab Equinox 800 - Very capable machine. Very good in almost all hunting situations. Deep and fast. I do like the menu - well thought out and easy to use. Lots of adjustment capability. Headphones are good. Suspect build quality. I think the Legend is the better machine (performance, build, and cost).

Minelab Vanquish 440 - Very simple machine. Easy to use and the menu is good. Limited adjustment capability. Did not come with wireless headphones. Build quality is good. Performance is good - especially for the price. I think it is a very good park machine. Of my current machines, this would be the one I'd sell first. It just isn't my cup of tea. My wife chose it because "it is pretty."

Garrett Apex - For me this is the most fun to use machine. Very simple to operate. Limited adjustments. Very good build quality. Best wireless headphones I've ever used. Love the screen. Doesn't seem to be as deep as my other machines. It down-averages when a good target is near iron (the VDI number won't be as high as it "should" be) (listen for the high tone mixed in with the iron grunts). Very good on saltwater beaches. I find it very good in the iron - if you ignore the VDI and dig the high tones.

XP Deus 1 - Excellent recovery speed. Very good depth. Very good build quality. Very light weight - super easy to swing all day. Great in iron. Wireless headphones are good, but some find them uncomfortable (I like them). Lots of adjustment options. Super easy to change coils. Charging clip (for the coil) sucks. Charging three things (remote, coil, headphones) can be annoying. VDI bounces around a lot on targets that are a bit deeper (dig by tones). Coils are very expensive.

XP ORX - Really fun machine. Easy to use. Very light weight. Excellent recovery speed. Very good depth. Very good build quality. Very light weight - super easy to swing all day. Wireless headphones are good, but some find them uncomfortable (I like them). More limited adjustment options. Super easy to change coils. Charging clip (for the coils) sucks. Charging three things (remote, coil, headphones) can be annoying. VDI bounces around a lot on targets that are a bit deeper (dig by tones). Coils are very expensive. Great in iron. Modern trash (aluminum bits and pieces) requires you to watch the VDI numbers if you wish to limit digging pull tabs and the like. Only 3 tones and you cannot adjust the tone breaks (the biggest weakness of the machine).

Deeptech Vista X - Excellent recovery speed. Very deep. Good build quality. Light weight - easy to swing. Two discrimination discs - very precise settings are capable, allowing the user to cherry pick if they wish. Two-tone machine (ferrous/non ferrous). Very descriptive audio. No screen. Adjustments are by knob and nearly infinite. Has iron audio volume. Very easy to use. Does not come with headphones. Wireless headphones would require a transmitter. Runs on 8 AA batteries.

I love my mxt pro and have done well with it but heres my problem, all of the places the me and my wife hunt have been thrashed for years, we are hunting hard hunted spots but we still find some stuff. I am thinking that if we could get a little more depth it may be like hunting new territory, but I may be wrong about that. I read about some of the new detectors getting more depth but I dont know if that is actually true or not and I dont know if for instance the new minelab manicore would actually go deeper than my mxt pro?? Im not intrested in bells and whistles but would like more depth , but I dont want to junk my mxt pro just to get a new machine. It boils down to the fact that I am trying to scavange more treasue out of hunted out spots.....
I hear ya, Fanger. So yes, the ML Manticore may be the right choice to get those hunted out sites to new life (so to speak?) if it comes to depth.
And it seems to be the correct choice of tool for this type of hunting you two are doing.

All the Best.

Thankyou T that was packed with info! I want youall to know that I really appreciate the input and am digging into all the tips. I talked to a dealer and was going to go ahead with 2 manticor's butt he said it may be a while before he can get them.......maby a sign from above. Im digging into the ino yall are sending and am confident that in the end we will be digging more goods than the law allows!🤓

My guess would be that all of my current machines - with the possible exception of the Apex - are deeper than the Whites machines I did own. I can't be sure about that; it's just my gut feeling.
This, to me, is the most honest reply. When you spend big bucks on a new detector you "guess" and "believe" it is better and deeper because you paid more for it. I really doubt you will notice very much increase in depth with any new detector. More desirable targets are masked than simply too deep. If you hunt in salt water or extreme mineralized soil, a SMF will have an advantage. As for depth, do a search for "So An Mcore, Deus 2, And T2 Go For A Walk At The Bullet Site".

I am happy about all of the tips yall are pitching in. I dont think I mentioned it before but I........I mean we.... never have hunted a beach or anything like that. It is pretty much strictly on low mineralized ground , mostly farmland

Maybe changing detecting environments such as beach hunting would be the change you need. As far as your wife doing better women do have better hearing and that is where she can get deeper targets. Once I am done with my family obligations out of my way I was thinking about finding some of the wagon trail routes as places to detect. Like trying to find places where they camped, Beaches are interesting but I really like the high deserts. Meteorites are a big interest as well. You know your machines it sounds like so no learning curve. They have a salt mode so you should be good to go. Of course it could be a distance problem. IDK

It pretty much is a distance problem for the beach but I have been thinking about the old travel routs too. I have a friend that does that and he has had really good luck but this guy is a far above average metal detective and extreamely experianced , he has been hammering it since back in the early 1970's. I would love to make a trip to some top secret spot that is loaded with unhunted treasures butt I dont forsee that heading my way........I do hear stories about people finding really good stuff in unlikely places so I hope to do that here pretty soon 🤓