Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Inside the E-Trac

Todd Pickens

Over the next couple of weeks I am going to be turning my old Trac into a water proof beach machine. I have had my Trac open before a couple of time for other reasons so I am not afraid to pull its guts out. There are some tricks to getting it apart. Since I have it open I thought I would show some pics of the boards and where the wires go. Knowing these can help with power problems, head phone issues and coil problems.
The first picture is the coil connection. It shows the 3 pins that operate the coil and where they are attached to the boards.
The second pic is of the upper and lower boards. There is a 2 pin connector that runs the external speaker and it has a black and white wire.It attaches to J 3/1
There is a 5 pin connector that has the power wires and head phones. It attaches to J 2/1
POWER HEAD PHONES
red black orange yellow blue
2012-09-02222021-1.jpg

2012-09-02222108-1.jpg

Thanks for putting the pictures on i would enjoy seeing more as you continue.

Done the mods iwith Explorers. Water Etrac is a good idea.

A forefinger operated pinpoint control would also be a good addition an I found the e best way to view the screen is to chest mount it.

All the best with the conversation.

David di

I am actually interested in seeing you finished product (and the steps in between). I would love to come up with a better way of waterproofing vs. wrapping it in saranwrap.

Neil

Good luck in making nice thing, but coil connector has 4 coil, you forgot to show first shielding.

stasys said:
Good luck in making nice thing, but coil connector has 4 coil, you forgot to show first shielding.
Please let me know what you mean?
Mine only has 3 wires for the coil. 1. Terminal J1/2 on lower board, white wire,2. Terminal J1/3 upper board, white wire with black ring around it, 3. Terminal J1/5 on lower board, black wire.

Hello Todd Pickens, on your boards you have two coax white cables, upper board is power board and white coax cable is transceiver for the coal, on coil connectors is 1 pin shielding 2 Transmitter, lower board is receiver 3 pin shielding 4 receiver, some my abbreviations hear can be not professionally correct, but board and coil connector wires are. black thin wire from board to coil connector is connector shielding.

I see what you mean now. The J1/3 terminal also has a connection point for the shielding of that wire, and the J1/2 terminal has the same for its wire. Sorry for the confusion
Here is an updated pic.
2012-09-02222108-2.jpg

Stasys

Did you ever find out what type of wire is used for coils and a source for it?

I got my UW Kinetics 408 Ultra box. It has a 15' depth rating.
I got my Plugger Excalibur 2 piece travel rod.

I still need
2 Heyco liquid tight cord grips.
1 water proof 5 pin connector, male
1 water proof 5 pin connector, female
4' of coil cable
water proof headphones

Todd Pickens said:
Stasys

Did you ever find out what type of wire is used for coils and a source for it?

I got my UW Kinetics 408 Ultra box. It has a 15' depth rating.
I got my Plugger Excalibur 2 piece travel rod.

I still need
2 Heyco liquid tight cord grips.
1 water proof 5 pin connector, male
1 water proof 5 pin connector, female
4' of coil cable
water proof headphones
I think you dont need 5pin connectors because for coil you need just 4, you can look bulgin or swichcraft, but for this connectors you have to find right cable and if connectors plastick you need to make some shielding, I would connect without any connectors directly. for coil wire use any double coax cable or two separate like in Etrac control panel.;