Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Insight from experienced Etrac users wanted

Ferrous Bueller

So after about 32 hours on the Etrac, I have a few observations and questions that some of you experienced users may have some input. I'm really liking this machine--I seem to be able to "connect" with it much better than my two previous machines (an Omega 8000 and Mxt Pro). I have found 13 silvers, about 30 wheats and a 1787 copper with it so far. It's strange that for a machine that has a good TID at depth--I rely on sound much more than the display on my etrac as compared to my other machines. But a few things have been gnawing at me a bit, such as my inability to find nickels.

1. Threshold level, I run about 18 or so, is it quite as critical for the etrac to be run at a low threshold level as other machines? It was of some importance to run a barely audible threshold on my Mxt to hear the deep whispers-but on a fbs unit-I'm not so sure.

2. I have only found 4 nickels so far--all Jeffersons and all less than 3" deep. I'm getting a nice smooth tone and solid 12-13 or 12-14, yet 99% of the time its a piece of a beavertail or square tab. I've read that many users claim that the etrac is a nickel killer as well, I'm just not seeing it. I'm getting Mercs, barbers and a couple of seateds so--I think there should be at least a couple of buffalos or shields waiting for me! :)

3. Difference between Deep on and volumn gain--don't these do essentially the same thing? In other words, wont having a volumn gain maxed and deep on set to off amplify deep signals anyways?

4. Some screw caps in my soil come in about 12-33 to 12-40--pretty much overlapping IH's and they sound good. Anyone have any tips on how to minimize the screwcap to IH ratio? :)

I'd love to hear any advice or input--thanks!

I do know Indian Heads sound closer to a silver dime to me, whereas a bottle cap will sound more like a zinc penny. Just my observation in my area of the USA.

G2M

1. Threshold no I run mine at 14-15 barely audible hum just enough so I can hear it go null at times.
2. Nickels for me hit like a blip when deeper in the ground so have to listen for the hit more. I have my ears trained you could say to that sound when I hear it slightly higher than the lowest sound level on the E-Trac just above iron it stops me in my tracks to investigate it. Also nickles hit at many different co no's I've had bufs at as low as 11-12 cond and as high as 14 to possiably 15 when right on or near the surface newre drops just turning black. I tried TTF and couldn't believe all of them I had missed so I went slower and trained my ears to listen for that lower tone amoungst all the others
3. Deep on helps the machine give you a better VDI number reading (fe and co) on the deeper targets. Gain makes all targets sound the same volume when it's cranked up. Makes the deep ones as loud as the shallow ones BUT can be like driving with high beams on in the fog and cause the machine to overload on signals especially with multiple signals under the coil so use with caution maybe leave at the factory 24 level or 20 to 25 level and just turn deep on. Then you will hear a slight difference on the deeper coins as it will not be as loud and will be able to pick out a deepie from amoung the shallower hits.
4. Got me on this one. After a while they rust up and the FE no changes on them helping to recognize them. Maybe on indians look for the depth as they may be deeper due to age??

Hope some of this helps.
Tom

EtracTom-AdirondacksNY said:
1. Threshold no I run mine at 14-15 barely audible hum just enough so I can hear it go null at times.
2. Nickels for me hit like a blip when deeper in the ground so have to listen for the hit more. I have my ears trained you could say to that sound when I hear it slightly higher than the lowest sound level on the E-Trac just above iron it stops me in my tracks to investigate it. Also nickles hit at many different co no's I've had bufs at as low as 11-12 cond and as high as 14 to possiably 15 when right on or near the surface newre drops just turning black. I tried TTF and couldn't believe all of them I had missed so I went slower and trained my ears to listen for that lower tone amoungst all the others
3. Deep on helps the machine give you a better VDI number reading (fe and co) on the deeper targets. Gain makes all targets sound the same volume when it's cranked up. Makes the deep ones as loud as the shallow ones BUT can be like driving with high beams on in the fog and cause the machine to overload on signals especially with multiple signals under the coil so use with caution maybe leave at the factory 24 level or 20 to 25 level and just turn deep on. Then you will hear a slight difference on the deeper coins as it will not be as loud and will be able to pick out a deepie from amoung the shallower hits.
4. Got me on this one. After a while they rust up and the FE no changes on them helping to recognize them. Maybe on indians look for the depth as they may be deeper due to age??

Hope some of this helps.
Tom

Yep good help--Thanks Tom!

not sure what pattern your using,, but you might open up the nickel area up a bit

I have found many more nickels outside the 12-13 range then in it. These were reading in the 14-18 range with no other targets detected checking with a wide open quick mask screen. Probable readings due to depth, corrosion, ground mineralization and ground moisture content, so if you aren't finding nickels maybe you need to expand your range.

Ferrous Bueller said:
1. Threshold level, I run about 18 or so, is it quite as critical for the etrac to be run at a low threshold level as other machines? It was of some importance to run a barely audible threshold on my Mxt to hear the deep whispers-but on a fbs unit-I'm not so sure.

I ended up with mine on 19. I like to be able to hear it, and recognize when it disappears, but don't want it high enough to give me a headache and don't want it to overwhelm a deep, soft signal. Use good headphones.

Ferrous Bueller said:
2. I have only found 4 nickels so far--all Jeffersons and all less than 3" deep. I'm getting a nice smooth tone and solid 12-13 or 12-14, yet 99% of the time its a piece of a beavertail or square tab. I've read that many users claim that the etrac is a nickel killer as well, I'm just not seeing it. I'm getting Mercs, barbers and a couple of seateds so--I think there should be at least a couple of buffalos or shields waiting for me! :)

I love the multi-tones of the Explorers and the E-trac, but, beware of falling into the rut of focusing on high tones only. There is a real tendency to mentally discriminate out the lower tones. I try and keep myself aware by looking for nickels or possible nickels. Yes, I do find a lot of folded beaver tails or tabs, but I also find more nickels. Too, I try to keep in mind that there are gold rings and coins out there. So I try and stay vigilant.

Ferrous Bueller said:
3. Difference between Deep ON and Volume Gain--don't these do essentially the same thing? In other words, wont having a volumn gain maxed and deep on set to off amplify deep signals anyways?

I don't think that they are the same thing. Volume Gain amplifies the audio signal, up to a given level across the board. Loud sounds are maximized and soft sounds are brought up in level until they reach maximum.

Deep ON amplifies weak target signals from the coil so they can be analyzed more accurately by the detector and then processed to an audio and visual signal.

Turning up the Volume Gain too high makes it more difficult to use the audio to differentiate between shallow and deep targets. They all end up sounding much the same. I hunt with Deep On and my Volume gain at 24.

Ferrous Bueller said:
4. Some screw caps in my soil come in about 12-33 to 12-40--pretty much overlapping IH's and they sound good. Anyone have any tips on how to minimize the screwcap to IH ratio? :)

Listen, the audio on the E-trac is the key. The visual is your verification. Screw caps have a strong signal that you will become familiar with over time. Still, since they fall into the ring range, I dig them up much of the time, if I have time, and get them out of the way. Most of them are shallower than the older items I am looking for. Whether you do or not depends on where you are hunting, how many times you have hunted there, what you expect to find and the need to remove garbage targets that may be masking good ones. I don't always have time to dig all targets, so I do the best I can with what I think the detector is telling me.

Put a screw cap and IH penny on the ground and listen to the difference and go from there.

And make sure that you are not discriminating out everything not falling onto the 12 line. Open it up some above and below if you have narrow windows of acceptance. I have my iron disc set way down on the 27 line so that 27-30 are blacked out from 0-50across the bottom.

I will put in a recommendation for a book by Andy Sabisch, "The Minelab Explorer & E-Trac Handbook". I believe it is an excellent reference to the many settings and options found on the two detectors, it explains the differences and goes into details on how the settings effect the detector operation.

Best of luck,

Rich (Utah)

DirtAngler said:
I have found many more nickels outside the 12-13 range then in it. These were reading in the 14-18 range with no other targets detected checking with a wide open quick mask screen. Probable readings due to depth, corrosion, ground mineralization and ground moisture content, so if you aren't finding nickels maybe you need to expand your range.
I agree with this, as I too have found way MORE nickels outside the 12-13 range than in it. I opened the nickel area up considerably and since have started finding way more nickels.

4. Some screw caps in my soil come in about 12-33 to 12-40--pretty much overlapping IH's and they sound good. Anyone have any tips on how to minimize the screwcap to IH ratio?

One of the best ways I've found to differentiate screw caps from other targets is to raise my coil 3 to 6 inches above the ground when sweeping the target. Screw caps will still ring proud while coins like IH's will go quiet.

After switching to TTF -- my Nickel count has increased tremendously! I used to never find nickels, but just in the last 2 hunts I think... I've dug 4 V Nickels and 3 Buffalo. It's not for everyone (i miss the multi-tone sounds), but I seem to dig more "good" targets while in TTF. You might give it a try to just see how you like it.