Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Inspect and test jewelry to determine approx. cash value.

ToddB64

Hi ! :)

I've been looking through the pages of Find's Treasure Forums, such as The Prospecting Forum, Technology Forum and General Interests Forum, but didn't see anything related to inspecting and testing jewelry to determine the approx. cash value before selling directly to individuals or refineries.

Cash for jewelry, pawn shops, etc. are usually less profitable for [size=medium]us[/size], since they don't do high volume business like the large refineries and must make more profit to cover their overhead costs, however, to be frank, most are just "rip-off " parlors. My apologies if this offends, but many detectorists have reported this to be true in their experience !

I think it would be helpful to members to have this type of forum and could include such subjects as (a) how to use electronic test equipment (b) how to do density testing of jewelry suspended in water, (c) using chemical test kits to determine precious metals, (d) many other simple and economical tests using a magnet, rub tests for color with cosmetic solutions or powders and (e) any other tests that members have discovered to have valid results.

So, since there doesn't appear to be a forum for this that, by it's title, draws viewers to post on the subject, I would like to get opinions on adding a new forum for this, or even a sub-forum added to one of the existing forums might do.

Thanks !

ToddB64

I second your suggestion. I struggle with testing and valueing my finds and the necessary information is scattered all over the web. It would be great to have lots of info in a single searchable location.

I'll have to disagree. While it's a valid md'ing related topic, yet the problem of starting scores of sub-niche forums, is that .... pretty soon .... no one reads or clicks there.

So for the occasional comment or question on this niche topic of valuating/authenticating jewelry : Just post it on the general section.

You will notice that certain other national md'ing forums did indeed start oodles of niche forums. And now ... years later, ... you look at them , and sure as heck no one ever posts on them. Or 1x or 2x p/yr is all. So the person gives up waiting for input/comment, and goes to put his niche comment or question on the main page. And THEN gets persons to input.

Thus simply put the nature of the matter in the subject line "How to value jewelry and/or stones", on the main pages. Persons with interest in that niche, will see the subject title, and click on it.

I'll have to disagree. While it's a valid md'ing related topic, yet the problem of starting scores of sub-niche forums, is that .... pretty soon .... no one reads or clicks there.

So for the occasional comment or question on this niche topic of valuating/authenticating jewelry : Just post it on the general section.

You will notice that certain other national md'ing forums did indeed start oodles of niche forums. And now ... years later, ... you look at them , and sure as heck no one ever posts on them. Or 1x or 2x p/yr is all. So the person gives up waiting for input/comment, and goes to put his niche comment or question on the main page. And THEN gets persons to input.

Thus simply put the nature of the matter in the subject line "How to value jewelry and/or stones", on the main pages. Persons with interest in that topic will see the subject title, and click on it.