Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

interesting observation

By the way I was kidding about Ground Balancing with the Probe on. The Probe was on but it was switched to the Pin Pointer.

I feel for him having trouble with his machine but I am sure it is the adjustments. I find that I have to adjust everytime I change coils and sometimes when I change locations. All this makes me wonder how some of these other Machines work as good as they do when changing coils and locations, lacking the adjustments of the V3i.

I just ordered two lower Rod Assembies from Backwoods so I will be able to make quick and easy changes to the Coil. Hunted a House last night that literally had hundreds of coins in the Front and the side. Moved to the back and still finding bunches of coins but instead of pennies these are Nickles and Quarters.

Still seeing that Inverted T on these Nickles. Not all but most.

Something is not right, you should not have to adjust filters to get a signal with a different coil. I would suggest calling the factory with your problem, you might need a master reset.

Larry (IL) said:
Something is not right, you should not have to adjust filters to get a signal with a different coil. I would suggest calling the factory with your problem, you might need a master reset.

My machine works very good. I was changing from a whites 4X6 to a SEF 8X6 going to some unusual ground and the EMI was terrible there. I was also swinging fast trying to cover a large space.

I would have thought it should see a nickel on top of the ground regardless of filter or coil. Will put 10" back on and mess with it tomorrow evening. Will be reading manual to understand better

irnwrkr said:
I would have thought it should see a nickel on top of the ground regardless of filter or coil. Will put 10" back on and mess with it tomorrow evening. Will be reading manual to understand better

Here is what I got last Sunday. I was swinging fast trying to cover ground. My detector was chirping on every tab around. Driving me nuts. I got some signals in the air. I reduced the RX to about 3 or 4. Still doing it I reduced the Discrimation to less than half. No change. I was using a 7 filter. I went to a 10 and saw a little improvement. I then went to 12.5 Band pass and it was much better. Increased my RX to about half as well as my Discriminate. Ran like a top. I run consistency on about 25 with Best Data accepting all signals with 0 tone on what I want as good signals about +8 to +21 then from +51 to +93 Rob says the SEF coils are more prone to EMI and believe this is true. At home I can run a 5 filter using Whites Coils but I really have to swing slow. Using the 4X6 I usually run a 7 high pass filter and that gets me a solid 6 inches of depth running sensativity over half. I have a problem slowing down that much. A higher filter will let you swing faster with less noise. I don't see that it hurts depth that much myself unless you swing slow. There is a point where there is so much noise you can not tell if there is a signal. Couple that with a slow recovery and you will miss a good target. I have run recovery as low as 20 but usually about 35 works for me. Right now my recovery is at 45 due to hunting a less trashy area with a larger coil. The slower recovery will help depth as well as the lower number filters but it does no good if you have to listen for all that noise. Raise your filters and slow recovery just a little and see if you can swing normal without a bunch of noise. I don't subscribe to the theory that a slow recovery makes a lot of difference to good targets. A good high VDI is always going to give a hit even with trash under the coil. Now with a Pop Top regesterring say 45 you may not hear a nickle at 19 because of the Recovery being slow. In real trashy areas that 4X6 coil is a killer and I get a full 6 inches of depth. Maybe a little more. I am hunting with guys using larger coils and so far I have not found any good targets that V3i would not hear even with the 4X6 coil. Those that it did not hear were iron and it should have cut those out anyway.

You said you went to a 6X10 and couldn't "see" a nickel.......... something is terribly wrong with either the coil or detector but suit yourself.......:shrug: Once you have the V3i set up for your ground and hunting style, it should be pretty much be a turn on and go hunting detector no matter what coil you put on it.

Its definitely not the coil, I use the same coil on my m6. The m6 currently out shoots the v3i. I have 3 coils. But the machine would not even null out going over the nickel. Its like it wasn't even there. I went to a higher filter and then it started detecting it.

I won't disagree with what you both have said. I myself have never had a coin on the surface not register that I can remember. It is too wet outside for the next two days to see if I can duplicate your results with any programs or settings.

I'm not saying it didn't happen, give me a little time.

The only change I made was coil, and that was in expert menu I think? Other than that I gb the unit, slow sweep speed finally got a quarter at 4" recovered it, and as it was getting dark I took a nickel out of my tool bag tossed it on ground ran coil over it from barely moving to pretty fast. Nothing, didn't even go quiet on threshold or show anything on display. (Stock c/j mode) then I got in and eventually went up one setting in filters until I was able to detect. By that time it was dark

I just called whites with the issue...they instructed me to send it back to them. They said there is a problem

You can bet Whites will take care of you

OK, I checked with Whites and here is the reply.
I suppose it is possible if the ground is really unusually mineralized.
The smaller nickel signal could saturate (not respond) if the filters are not set properly.
Would not be typical and a bit of a parlor trick.
If the nickel were in the ground, most likely it would respond at any filter setting.

So Daddy's sounds like a good detector and it was a rare happening. Ironman's doesn't work well so he's got a problem with his detector.

I would think that regardless of GB or filters used a nickel and other shallow coins ought to sound off loud and clear especially on surface.

That is what I said in the first place. As Whites stated a good detector could (possibly) give the results but only under exceptional conditions. They said it not me They didn't say they had seen the problem and I said I had never experienced the problem. You can never say never I guess?

When I was testing the prototype I made a program that when I made one change the detector would lock up. I would have to drop the battery pack. I would begin hunting and when I made the same change it would lock up. It did it every time. I deleted the program and started over adding one change at a time to see if I could find which change caused the problem. I never could duplicate all the changes and the detector worked perfect for the rest of the test. That problem has never been reported by anyone I know of and that was 5 or 6 years ago. :confused:

Daddy doesn't have a problem as he stated he is finding deep coins and so will you when you get your detector back.

Rob (IL) said:
That is what I said in the first place. As Whites stated a good detector could (possibly) give the results but only under exceptional conditions. They said it not me They didn't say they had seen the problem and I said I had never experienced the problem. You can never say never I guess?

When I was testing the prototype I made a program that when I made one change the detector would lock up. I would have to drop the battery pack. I would begin hunting and when I made the same change it would lock up. It did it every time. I deleted the program and started over adding one change at a time to see if I could find which change caused the problem. I never could duplicate all the changes and the detector worked perfect for the rest of the test. That problem has never been reported by anyone I know of and that was 5 or 6 years ago. :confused:

Daddy doesn't have a problem as he stated he is finding deep coins and so will you when you get your detector back.

The one big difference in his Detector and mine was that I was using a 4X6 whites coil that I had tweaked to get as much depth as possible. I was going real slow working a trashy area. I changed to a SEF Coil that is admittedly a little hot and moved to an area that was still trashy but I was getting EMI. In addition I went from a slow swing to a very fast swing to try and cover ground. I could have been wrong about the dime it could have been a Nickle but regardless, I knew i was in trouble when my machine missed it. After a few tweaks and a Filter change my machine was hitting deeper than I wanted to dig. It hit 8" for sure. There is nothing wrong with my machine except the nut behind the screen that keeps tinkering with it.

Well I went in and restored every program in the unit. I put the 10" coil back on, and threw a nickel down, GB the unit and it could see it. No matter how fast I swung it it picked it up every time.

I went out today with my 6X10 coil after getting the SEF 8X6 to run like I wanted. Had trouble with the 6X10. It would not run on the lower filters with my swing. All I heard was Blip Blip Blip. I came all the way up to the 12.5 Band Pass and still was not satisfied. Blip Blip Blip and go back over it to find nothing but junk there. It discriminated out. I was running my Sensativity on about 75% I did not feel that the sensativity was too high. Ok after searching for the Consistency setting for 15 minutes, I finally found it under the Spectrograph. No idea why they put it there. I moved my Consistency setting from 20 to 30. Suddenly I had a nice quiet detector that was getting pretty good depth. I don't know how deep it was getting but I found one quarter that was the Depth of my Sunray Probe. Not all that great until you consider I am hunting in grown up Clover and there is no way you can swing through that. Found around 30 coins in an hour and was limited where I could hunt by the high grass. If I am unhappy with it, I will sell it. I like a Detector that hunts pretty quiet regardless of the coil. I feel like the V3i is the only one made that allows me to hunt the way I want with the Coil I want. I have no affiliation with Whites in any way and in fact I really just do not care for the 6X10 coil favoring the SEF 8X6. But if I had to pick only one Coil it would be the 4X6 that thing is a killer for coins. Like I said before my machine runs great except for the Nut behind the screen that keeps screwing with it.

irnwrkr glad you got your working but I am afraid there was nothing wrong with it. You just need to learn how to tweak the settings and that is a little hard. Even if you know what you want to change it is sometimes hard to find it.

The reason it is under Spectragraph is because it changes if the bars are based on the intensity or consistency of the signal. It changes the visual information on the screen. It now will take 30 hits instead of twenty hits for full bar height with your new setting. It can make the spectragraph look less jumpy. It doesn't affect performance such as depth, sensitivity etc.

None of the stock programs use consistency but instead use intensity. Consistency is "Da Fox's" mode of choice and the 6x10 is his favorite coil. He only uses Whites coils.

Guys this post has gotten long and the nickel problem looks like it is solved. Start a new post to continue discussing your settings. This is a good discussion.

i have not tried it myself, but perhaps it is possible to put intensity/consistency on the live bar?
I have a few tips that should help some people; they helped me.

1. Stereo mixed mode is your friend. It can also be very busy! set your v3i to only 'play' 4 or 5 different tones. That clears up the audio clutter a bit. next step is to remove the treshold in the disc channel, bit keep it on on the AM channel for the extra deep signals.
2. I notice a lot of US users use(!) a very high recovery delay. My theory is that this can mask a lot of good targets. It may and it may not, but dont be afraid to experiment with it and drop it as low as 15 or 20. Also. Raising the SAT speed to 25 to 30 does the same thing for the AM channel.
3. Perform tests! Its not a lazy mans detector, it demands that you know it, and most of us will probably never master it under all conditions, but you can make it work for you under yours. So can i and everyone else, and Thats the beauty of it.