Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

interference question for D.J ? ? ?

coenwolf

there a bit of a debate going on our side of the pond over emi interference dave ,with my t2se i can run it hot and pick up good signals typical settings would be sens 90 ,disc 15 to 24 ,tones 4 and although i take a ear bashing i can winkle out good targets from the noise ,someone suggested that by turning the sens right down low it would stop all the snap ,crackle and pop and you would just hear the good targets ,a quick try in the garden with the sense set at 35 did actually look like it was right .and while doing depth tests with it at either end of the spectrum with the machine rested on a garden chair i noticed that the noises started when the sense was turned up .

so the question are the noises i/we are hearing on the crowded little british isles the result of ground effect or actually mobile phone and wi-fi signals whizzing about ,and if so what is your feeling is it better to run it high and ignore the noises or quieten down the machine by lowering sens.
its definetly not iron in the soil as this is happening in air ,and if it is picking up mobile signals is there a way to filter them out ???????

Jeff,i rarely go over 75 normally and usually run mine at 70sens,15disc,2+ and have reduce it down to 60 sens with the large SEF15x12 coil on,then it runs as smooth as anything,mine is one of the original green classic 2 machines so may be different from the machine you use.

When i 1st got mine i tended to crank the sens right up,trouble was the more i turned it up the less i enjoyed using the machine,so hence the reason i settled on 70-75 and when using my usual Sharpshooter coil it just purrs along,am i getting maximum depth from it ??? that i am not sure but its served me well and still finds me celtic gold at reasonable depth.Also its a joy to use a again which for me is more important than a highly stressed machine that i dont really like using.

Cannot comment of course how the latest DST works as i dont have it,but a bigger than stock coil on my machine does not like the 'wick' turned up as then it starts the Rice Krispies (snap ,crackle and pop) sounds as you have mentioned.

rik as i have tried to point out in the post this is NOT in ground noise ,its actually in being picked up with the machine 2 feet off the ground so its in air ,i am going to try it out tomorrow de-tuned if you like and see if it actually improves finds rate or not

Does the machine run quieter when you lower the coil to the ground? My t2, because of its hyper nature will give a lot of chatter, depending on the area I'm hunting,when held up it the air. Some areas it doesn't.

Similar with the 8000, in the air it talks to you, start swinging she quites right down, even with sens up to 90 or so.

Have you tried dropping the Hum (threshold) level into the minus numbers, if your hunting in all metal mode.

This is an awesome discussion on the T2 machines. Thanks my brothers from the Mother Country. So I'm just asking this question. What do you guys here think about the roll that sensitivity plays in relation to having a successful hunt. It's a lot to say on this topic but just wanted to get something started. My personal experience is in most situations, sensitivity at 99 when it's doable, sensitivity at 40, no difference, other than a quieter hunt. What's your take on that?
Thanks Bill

o.k read through the replies here so far ,and i gather from the answers most of you are u.s based ,never yet detected there yet so i don't know what your experiencing ,,lets put the scenario in place then as most of you won't have hunted in the u.k or if so it will probably be in the east of the u.k .

where i live and hunt mainly is in north wales the land has lots of natural iron ore in the soil ,also lead ore (galena) the landscape is criss crossed with 240v power lines on pylons and also on wooden poles ,virtually everyone in the country has a mobile phone according to the press so mobile phone masts and communication towers are all around us often hidden due to environmental planning regs .

now having been detecting for 40 or so years (apart from the last 6) i am not interested in modern coinage or finds my main targets will have been in the ground for anything up to 3000 years but mainly for around 1000 years .the most desirable targets are tiny thin section hammered silver medieval coins and on the right sites can be prolific as they were easily lost ,also roman coins and artefacts can be found in the same places ,so its a fine balancing act in hearing these targets between the natural ores ,junk of a millennium or two ,and now the increase in emi signals that i think have crept in since i last detected .i do know the air wave frequencies have been sold off to the highest bidder over that period to when i packed up we had mobile 2G signals ,then 3G and now thinks like the latest phones run on 4G .

i am out in a couple of hours with a friend who has just acquired a fisher f19 so i will be able to see how that copes on the fields . i will also now be playing with my settings a lot more and report back my findings later

well i went out this morning for a few hours .on one of the fields that causes me problems normally ,but has lots of old stuff on it .tried it with the sens turned down as stated to 35-40 nice silent searching with no noises running smooth ,BUT no finds at all ,so kinda defeats the object .switched back to 90 sens ,disc 21,tone 4 and finds started popping out again ..might try playing with headphone cones later this month to see if i can enhance the high tones and lower the iron while eliminating emi feedback .
also tried out my mates f19 nice machine but i don't like the tones if as i suspect the tones are the same on the g2+ thats saved me a few £/$

Jeff,some good feedback on the T2 settings that you used,will be going out with mine in about 30 mins or so,as the stubble on this one field has just been cut its still very stiff and about 4-5'' high so will use the T2 with the very underated 5'' coil to get close to the soil,love using that coil on stubble as it misses nothing and for its size its pretty deep.

Albeit you dont get the ground coverage but it makes a nice evenings detecting session,may also shoot the Deus with the 9'' coil from the hip this evening as well,must admit that has become my everyday detector these days and the T2 for trashy sites with the small coil or the large SEF coil for deep work.

I thought everybody that uses the Deus say its great in trash especially iron but you say you prefer the t-2 for trash

chuck said:
I thought everybody that uses the Deus say its great in trash especially iron but you say you prefer the t-2 for trash

Yes,the reason being the Deus is restricted to a 9'' coil being the smallest coil that they offer but the T2 has the 5'' coil,so you can get in between the trash better on some of my roman sites the small coil is king because of the target separation,smaller coils is always the preferred choice other wise you can suffer from nulled signals.

Also if you are on a permission that is trashy and just had the crops cut the stubble is still very stiff,once again the smaller coil wins the day as you can get closer to the ground,a 9'' coil cannot especialy on Oilseed rape stubble which is like bamboo canes.Thats the logic and reason why i prefer to use that combination,its having the right detector/coil combination for the job,it main be a slow job but a small coil is required and its what goes in the finds bag that count.