Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Internet is doing us in!

wade tx

We flew under the radar for a lot of years, most people didn't know a lot about our hobby. Now we have a lot of exposure, new TV shows, forums to show what's being found, and in some case's where they're finding it, amazing isn't it. Enjoy while you can, I fear a lot more restrictions are coming. I hope I'm wrong.---Wade

I guess we will have to ride out all this reality TV crap and hope for the best.

Don't know about you guys. But I'm ready for some good Westerns and Cop shows again LOL

Lone Ranger, Hop Along Cassidy, Range Rider, Police Story. Anything but this reality crap that has taken over..

Enough is enough. Give me some good old fiction !!

On the new Dig Wars show, at the beginning one gent says he's found over $1 million dollars worth of relics, another states he's found over $150,000 worth of jewelry. Am I the only one that thinks this is a huge exaggeration?

BillF said:
On the new Dig Wars show, at the beginning one gent says he's found over $1 million dollars worth of relics, another states he's found over $150,000 worth of jewelry. Am I the only one that thinks this is a huge exaggeration?
IRS agents drool at the thought.................

BillF said:

The jewelry amount may only be slightly exaggerated if they have been extremely lucky after 30 years of detecting, but a million dollars worth of relics ? BS !!! Somebody ought to slap him in the head for giving get-rich-quick wanna-be's the wrong impression. These guys are truly sad and they are lining their pockets and ruining it for the rest of us at the same time.

unfortunatly i believe you are right wade.... i was in the radar today so to speak at a park i was hunting in...only reason the cop didnt approach me is i dont think he could figure out any laws i was breaking, but i really dont think he liked me being there..... so you can guess what will probably come next.. if the law dont exist they will just invent one....

...the men who need and require recognition. I don't care what any of them say...there is no need for these shows other than one thing...MONEY......or maybe..EGO...or both.

It is not putting the hobby into a good light by any stretch of anyone's imagination. Especially when men brag about their total haul......and this also makes us look like the looting greedy pigs archies paint us as being.

Because if this show I actually rid myself of any First texas products permanently. I don't care what they produce in the future I am not going to support their need for attention when i don't agree with it. Certainly will not affect their bottom line whether I but their stuff or not but it is the only thing I can do.

Plenty of detectors out there that do what the top end products from them do....and yes I will miss the Eurotek Pro but just can' see any reason for this latest TV Show.

Now the internet is to me less dangerous as you kind of need to be looking for metal detecting related vids verses just channel surfing and whamo there is the latest staged metal detecting show.

To the point...I have a friend of my son, who is 20, who wants to go detectingw ith me. I said sure...but why. Oh...he saw a show the other night on cable about guys metal detecting. Oh great I thought.....this kid now thinks everytime we go out we find killer stuff.
My son explained to him that we usually just find a few buttons and maybe an old corroded coin if we are lucky.
His friend thought I was going out and coming home with valuable finds every time.......damn shows.

It is not so much the internet it is "reality TV" However, it is far from "real" and the exposure is destroying our hobby image. These shows (I know this is a subject that has been covered and beaten to death here on Findmall) are misrepresenting this hobby to the point of closing public and private land. Someone flipping through their cable channels comes across one of these "treasure programs" and view what they think is behavior and dig tactics in real life. They may be thinking, "Hey this looks like a pretty cool show digging for treasure... but I wouldn't want someone doing this to my property" or "what a bunch of blooming idiots, I wouldn't want them on my property digging" etc. They watch the whole show and then off to bed. Now lets say this person happens to own 5 acres of historical property (mostly wooded) and was used during the Civil War. A local detectorist has been performing in-depth research and stumbles upon the historical significance of this person's property and decides to go ask. Little does this hunter know what he / she is in for....just a week ago this homeowner (they are about to ask) watched a treasure show with some buffoons doing this to someone else's property.....

There are several different scenarios to the end of this story and to me, some of them are not all that bad. How good of a sales person are you? Time to sell our hobby and show those who are not correctly informed what the "reality" really is.

I'm done and that is all I will say on the subject.

Why do metal detectorists need a audience? I can't think of any good reason.

I honestly belive the people on this show bragging about big money finds do nothing positive for the hobby.

As with all the other threads not liking the new dig wars show it will be deleted. Because we can't express something negitive.

Some great posts in this thread........

I'd rather not have non-detectorists know what we are finding, lets keep this to ourselves. They do these shows for their own gain, not for the good of the detecting world. HH

Fortunately guys, we all know artifact recovery,(metal detecting), is not nearly as easy as these guys make it out to be. You have to really love the hobby to stay in it like me. The first couple of times an ordinary person takes out a detector to hunt will get very discouraged thinking the are going to find tons of good stuff like the guys on tv and they will quit the hobby. Then they will sell their good slightly used detectors to people like us at a steep discounted price!!

Fortunately, and I don't mean to be disrespectful, but Americans have become lazy.
Thats a good thing for us died in the wool metal dectionests, because once the
people who jumped on the MD band wagon see just how much work there is in the
hobby, they will JUMP from the wagon real fast and a lot of good metal detectors
will either end up buried in garages, or end up at pawn shops and yard sales. The price
of gold going down as fast as it has will be a real help as well.

The TV shows on metal detecting are out for the fast buck. They don't care who they hurt
in the long term. I refuse to watch them and tell people I run into, to not take the shows
SERIOUSLY, IN FACT DON'T WATCH THE SHOWS AT ALL.

I've run into several people lately while out detecting and they want to know about where they
can buy a detector. I tell them right up front to check out FindMall.com and ask all the
questions they want...and to buy their detector from one of the sponsors listed on the site.
Why pay full price at a department store?
Robert2300

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one that feels these guys and other shows blow everything out if proportion.
One thing I saw on the show that just chaps me, and if I'm proven wrong, I'll apologize, was Mike found a silver reale, very irregular shaped coin,etc,etc.
When they took it to the 'appraiser', it was a different coin. I rewound the video many times.
Come on guys! If you're reading this, get with the program and be honest. And be honest about how much you've really found.
Oh, never mind, this is more about your chance at the limelight, not about the hobby. I get it.

Much like the guys that go out for a two hour tour and post pictures of 30 coins, toys , jewlery the found .... Yeah right... Would love to watch these hounds and their fast dig techniques... I know even when I find something good it takes a minimum of 6 to 8 minutes to recover..... Given the object numbers sometimes posted, I lable them as liars plain and true...

These shows are populated with pinochio's...

"BillF
On the new Dig Wars show, at the beginning one gent says he's found over $1 million dollars worth of relics, another states he's found over $150,000 worth of jewelry. Am I the only one that thinks this is a huge exaggeration?"

He's not exaggerating...HE'S LYING. But that's TV and people in this country
don't seem to know the difference, because they have been lied too so often
they can't tell the difference between truth and reality. And we used to be such
a GREAT country. Now we accept crap made in other countries as quality and
let our young people cheat in school to get passing grades. I don't think we have
so much to brag abolut anymore. Just my opinion.
Robt2300

Robert2300 said:
Fortunately, and I don't mean to be disrespectful, but Americans have become lazy.
Thats a good thing for us died in the wool metal dectionests, because once the
people who jumped on the MD band wagon see just how much work there is in the
hobby, they will JUMP from the wagon real fast and a lot of good metal detectors
will either end up buried in garages, or end up at pawn shops and yard sales. The price
of gold going down as fast as it has will be a real help as well.

The TV shows on metal detecting are out for the fast buck. They don't care who they hurt
in the long term. I refuse to watch them and tell people I run into, to not take the shows
SERIOUSLY, IN FACT DON'T WATCH THE SHOWS AT ALL.

I've run into several people lately while out detecting and they want to know about where they
can buy a detector. I tell them right up front to check out FindMall.com and ask all the
questions they want...and to buy their detector from one of the sponsors listed on the site.
Why pay full price at a department store?
Robert2300

I am already seeing the increase of used metal detectors for sale on Craigslist!
And yes, the TV shows are KILLING my permission percentages!!!
Everyone thinks that there is a million dollars in their yard and they want ALL of it!
I tell them that the only million I have found was pull tabs, bottle caps and nails!!!!!