Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Introduce Yourself....What Type Of Metal Detecting Do You Do With Purchasing A New ATX In Mind? :biggrin:

Hi

I have a GPX 5000, sorry 'had' a GPX 5000 but sold it. Too complicated to use, a zillion settings and I am lazy!

I like a machine that I don't have to 'wear' too!

The ATX folds up small enough to put in a suitcase and take on holiday and robust enough to allow the kids to play with it on the beach.

All I have to do now is exercise patience, When do I get it?

Have fun

Ted

Hello

I am currently in Tennant Creek in the Northern Territory of Australia.

I have ordered a deep seeker ATX and can't wait to try it on the ground here. I sold my GPX 5000 which I hardly used. I found the settings to be a head ache, and having to wear the bloody thing too!

So I sold it and had lots of change to spend after the ATX.

The ATX can come with us on holiday and go anywhere, well, almost!

I am keen to test it here, will let you know how it goes

Ted

Hello John, I am waiting for my ATX and looking to meet some local people who share the same interests. I saw that you have already made some great finds and live in Edmonton. Can you hook me up with a local club or person in our area. The hype on this detector really sounds good. Simple and easy to use. I have done some river sluicing but do not expect the ATX to pick any flour gold on the NSR. Look forward to hearing back soon. Thx, Kimble

kiwited said:
Hello

I am currently in Tennant Creek in the Northern Territory of Australia.

I have ordered a deep seeker ATX and can't wait to try it on the ground here. I sold my GPX 5000 which I hardly used. I found the settings to be a head ache, and having to wear the bloody thing too!

So I sold it and had lots of change to spend after the ATX.

The ATX can come with us on holiday and go anywhere, well, almost!

I am keen to test it here, will let you know how it goes

Ted

Hi ted.
I am curious to hear how the ATX performs at the Creek

Piggy backing here since I'm running a Garrett AML1000 that I won on eBay for a little over $500 earlier in the year. The user learning curve has been climbed and Civil War relic hunting as well as summer beach outtings have been good, using the 8 inch coil. All of the hints I've seen on this site about ground balancing, salt water, etc., have been true and valid with my AML1000. I'd love to know if the DD coil for the ATX really would work on the AML especially since the 8" and 14" mono coils are interchangeable between the machines (same part #s). The "word" is "no," the DD coil won't work.

I am going to get a "sling," for sure.

I have been digging off and on since 1966. We actually were hugely successful with war surplue AN/PRS-3D machines, though our backs and wallets were ruined by the weight and the cost of batteries (671/2 volt "B" batteries x 2 + 1 1/2 volt "A"). Reallignment required technician skills and a sine wave generator. The Vietnam era detectors cut the weight, used the same PRS-3D search head but used hard to find mercury batteries. Relic hunters have to dig everything and these machines of olden times found it all.

Hi , From Sweden got my ATX today , but without the deepseeker coil... We are 4 guys going to Australia for an adventure looking for the big nuggets. If we dont find any gold which i doubt we would have had a great adventure. Good Luck ALL and Merry Christmas

Regards and wishes to everybody
it is a lot of that I read news on ATX and all enthusiastic the holders of this MD
I am almost 78 years old, difficult for me still to use new MD for a lot of time, however I like a lot this hoby that have been doing for 34 years, I would like to buy an ATX and to leave in my nephew inherits but I don't succeed to put in his/her head my hobby while there has been being still things and buried ancient objects for many years to discover
I will see that to do with new year
Merry Christmas and new year to all friends of this forun
my e-mail i1jab@fastwebnet.it in Skype nik algeriob
good-bye Algerio

I am in the UK and have an ATX being gifted to me by a friend from the states. Its been used over your side of the pond and is coming to me dirty If you like and secondhand. Havent a clue what Import duties I will have to pay on it, bound to be some.
I have a GPX5000 that I have used a few times in conjunction with my CTX and Minelab Explorer2 to try and unearth more of a Cache / hoard of 2000 year old Celtic coins that I recently found. (Full report of which was in a recent Relic-Hunting magazine) Over here because of the type of finds we make in our farm fields and the depth that these finds can be buried at we use what we call the Paint method. We will work across a given area where we suspect there is a cache/hoard buried and with every signal from a GPX or ATX type machine we will spray mark with line paint a small cross on the ground and travel on until we may have 50 paint marks on the ground in a particular area. We mark every little whisper of a signal. We then change detectors back to something like the CTX with the six inch coil on and use it with an open screen in all metal so that it immediately tells us If that marked signal is Iron. If we don't get an Iron signal from that paint mark then we dig down until we either eventually hit deeper iron or a lovely non ferrous signal suddenly appears. I recently found two lovely silver coins at depth using this method that my normal detecting with the CTX alone missed. I am hopeful that the new Garrett might prove to be better and easier to use than the GPX5000 which can be a little daunting to a newcomer with all the different settings. If the Garrett proves good then the GPX will be looking for a new home.

Detectorbits said:
I am in the UK and have an ATX being gifted to me by a friend from the states. Its been used over your side of the pond and is coming to me dirty If you like and secondhand. Havent a clue what Import duties I will have to pay on it, bound to be some.
I have a GPX5000 that I have used a few times in conjunction with my CTX and Minelab Explorer2 to try and unearth more of a Cache / hoard of 2000 year old Celtic coins that I recently found. (Full report of which was in a recent Relic-Hunting magazine) Over here because of the type of finds we make in our farm fields and the depth that these finds can be buried at we use what we call the Paint method. We will work across a given area where we suspect there is a cache/hoard buried and with every signal from a GPX or ATX type machine we will spray mark with line paint a small cross on the ground and travel on until we may have 50 paint marks on the ground in a particular area. We mark every little whisper of a signal. We then change detectors back to something like the CTX with the six inch coil on and use it with an open screen in all metal so that it immediately tells us If that marked signal is Iron. If we don't get an Iron signal from that paint mark then we dig down until we either eventually hit deeper iron or a lovely non ferrous signal suddenly appears. I recently found two lovely silver coins at depth using this method that my normal detecting with the CTX alone missed. I am hopeful that the new Garrett might prove to be better and easier to use than the GPX5000 which can be a little daunting to a newcomer with all the different settings. If the Garrett proves good then the GPX will be looking for a new home.

Tony,that the exact same method that i use the line marker method,it may take a little bit longer to cover the hoard site but its a methods that really works well,it will be interesting too see how you get on with the ATX as this machine really has got me interested,espesially as i have access to 2 hoard sites but cannot get back onto the site till the spring when the current crops come off.

When do you think your machine will arrive over here in the UK ??

Detectorbits said:

You might be able to calculate duties and charges from here.
http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-duty-and-tax-calculation

Looks like it would be around the 340 pound mark

Hi detectorbits let me know how much the duty/tax will cost because I am looking at importing from us.

Regards matthew :please:

I was refering to a new ATX at the USA price imported to the UK. by a private citizen type purchaser.
The cost of a second hand item will depend on the type of item and how much the sale price is and where it is to be shipped to,

Just input the requested details and use the calculation at that link and you will be told the duty tax and final total purchase price.

Quite a few people are now talking about the ATX in the UK and wether it will be useful under our soil conditions. I should have mine soon I hope. I have a very nice large field I want to try it on that we have literally hit to death over the last ten years with all the normal Minelab machines mostly like all the different Explorer models, Xterra 70 and lately the CTX. Had many many hundreds of Roman coins mostly but also a fair number of hammered silver medieval coins and also a number of 2000 year old silver celtic coins. We rarely get a signal now even from junk, so its going to be a good test with the ATX, We will be using the paint method even though the ATX will give us some idea of Iron signals on the shallower targets theres going to be a lot of deeper signals that we will check out by using a CTX in all metal with a small coil on possibly and will be checking out all the paint marked signals thoroughly deeper down If they dont show up as Iron, they will be the ones that may have a nice silver coin deeper down :) It could open up our fields to a lot more finds below normal depths.

Detectorbits said:
Quite a few people are now talking about the ATX in the UK and wether it will be useful under our soil conditions. I should have mine soon I hope. I have a very nice large field I want to try it on that we have literally hit to death over the last ten years with all the normal Minelab machines mostly like all the different Explorer models, Xterra 70 and lately the CTX. Had many many hundreds of Roman coins mostly but also a fair number of hammered silver medieval coins and also a number of 2000 year old silver celtic coins. We rarely get a signal now even from junk, so its going to be a good test with the ATX, We will be using the paint method even though the ATX will give us some idea of Iron signals on the shallower targets theres going to be a lot of deeper signals that we will check out by using a CTX in all metal with a small coil on possibly and will be checking out all the paint marked signals thoroughly deeper down If they dont show up as Iron, they will be the ones that may have a nice silver coin deeper down :) It could open up our fields to a lot more finds below normal depths.

Thats exactly what i have in mine,as i dont live near the sea the waterproof aspect is not required but the depth certainly is,have been perfecting the paint technique for some time and all ready have the spray paint that i carry with me all the time.

Still have about another 4 months before i hit the buy button as my minimum buying criteria is 6-9 months after the launch of a brand new detector,although i am really eager to buy one sooner i still wont move the goal posts till the minimum 6 months are up.

My plan is also using it on pasture as i feel the ATX could find some nice finds that a VLF machine cannot locate.

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum. I am going to purchase the ATX soon and need some advice please. My grandfather started taking me detecting when I was four years old, and now I want to introduce my sons and nephew to it. I would like to take a 4 or 5 day camping trip this year to a location where we can do some gold prospecting, or something similar. We live in Illinois, but I was thinking about heading to Colorado or someplace like that. I would like to take them someplace where we at least have a chance at finding something. If you had your choice, where would you go? Thanks in advance for your help! Steve

I do any kind of detecting with ATX, and AT-pro T2. your right id agree with what they cost should give you a hard case!! anyone have a idea the dimensions on the hard case so I can just buy one close? thanks for the add

Hi I have been using an infinium for many years and have had good success finding nuggets here in Aus but reading about the ATX decided it was time to up grade. I mainly hunt for gold but don't mind finding the odd relic. I decided on the deep seeker packaged but am still waiting for delivery as there is a bit of a supply problem at the moment, a bit frustrating cause I'm busting to get out and swing the beast. Anyway all good things come to those who wait. Great forum with a lot of great info about the ATX. That's my short story and now it's back to reading more info about the ATX.

When I finally get my Deepseeker package I will be prospecting and relic hunting in Southern Oregon and Northern California. Looking forward to something rugged and compact that I can strap to a backpack or toss in with the camping gear and head out to the mountains.....
This will be my first detector. I borrow a friends AT Gold from time to time and love how it works.