Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Introduction, new Deus owner

Hi everyone,
My name is Mark (obvious), I reside in Northern Indiana. After more than a few years of wanting to try metal detecting, in the spring of 2015 I purchased a Whites coinmaster gt to get started. Already a history buff and enjoying the challenge of research (especially historic in nature) combined with a few nice finds with the coinmaster, I am hooked.
For the past month or so I have not been able to get the thought out of my head- what targets are in the ground that I am missing? Might be time to upgrade to a detector with more features and depth. After researching detectors and watching numerous youtube videos, Wednesday I picked up an XP Deus WS5 with the 9" coil. Thursday morning within a half hour of the first ever swing of the Deus, I dig up an 1897 IH in the yard of my childhood home. (Basic one program)
Looking forward to learning about this machine through this forum and the Deus handbook by Andy Sabisch.
Any advice to a novice detectorist and a new Deus owner is greatly appreciated.

It sounds like you have an intelligent start. The book is a big help. Some of the video's out there are OK not many I think. One of the ways to learn with a Deus is to hit a target and then before you dig it. See what your unit will do with other settings while over the same target. It's hard not to dig your new favorite target but because the Deus will switch from setting to setting so quickly you can spend a little time to learn with each new target. Be careful with the "killer" program settings that are out there. You will find your way with a little of this and that. Good Luck

i would recommend sticking with one program for a while til you feel like you know it pretty well. then start changing some of the settings in that same program to see if you can get better target ID's or tones or depth or stabilization or all of the above. Once you know one program inside and out you will see that it is the same as all the stock programs by just changing some of the settings. then learn the different frequencies with the best settings with that same program to see how you do with that.
GL &HH

CT is the man to listen to. He has given me some good advice. I am still trying to master my Deus, I have been doing good in Basic 2. have found 4 rings so far. Two was silver and two was gold. I dig a lot of trash trying to find gold, but it pays off. I can't wait till spring to take it to the beach and try on small gold in Gold Field setting. I also have two silver dimes and a 1942 Centime, that was found in the middle of a field. Good Luck with the Deus it and CT will see you through.

CT, Have you used the XY screen to hunt with? If so, how well dose it work when targets are not very deep, 5" 6" if that ? My ground is not very hot, about 78 to 87 in some spots.

The Deus is a fantastic machine to say the least !

I'm learning about the Deus the same way I learned about my E-Trac ...
Spend as much time in the field as possible + Reading Andy's book + Posting questions and reading other members posts in this forum !

Good luck with your new Deus !:detecting: