Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Introduction & Reinforce my choosing an Xterra 705

GTzer

Hello. Great informative and intriguing site. .My how things have changed since I first started MDing in

great tones on the 705 once you get the hang of them its a coin killer you will love it and wont need another detector.

blank planet

Go for the X-terra 705.Its well balanced and a real coinmagnet for sure.
But if you want a superbalanced detector you can use all day long without any bad effects,then I can recommend a Rutus Jupiter or the more expensive XP Deus.They are superb in trashy areas.

Im will keep my 705 and for trashy areas I will get a Rutus a.s.a.p

Mike the Swede

Greg, Welcome to the Xterra Forum!! I too like the tone of the Xterra 70 and 705 that I have and it being light weight also. It really is a tough detector also. I use Sanyo Eneloop rechargeable AA's I can get 4- 5 hour hunts out of them on a charge. The 3 year warranty on the new Minelabs are a plus, and transferable, so if you find someone with a used one bought after July 20ll, you can still have a warranty. I can only give you a relic hunters take on the Xterra. I use the 10.5DD coils and the 6"DD HF coil. Depth with the 10.5DD coil is UNREAL!! I dig deep relics with them.. I hear that Minelab is gonna raise their prices the 7th of this month, so, if you want to save a few bucks on a new one, do it now!

Mark

Let me join the others in welcoming you to the X-TERRA forum. And thanks for the kind words about my book. Like you, I used the White's 6000 series for lots of years. To this day, I don't think anyone ever made a better discrimination system than that used on those models. The subtle bounce of the needle on that analog meter was something you had to experiece, to appreciate. When I heard White's was discontuing the XLPro about 6 years ago, I made every effort to scarf up any new ones that dealers may have still had in stock. Fortunately, I found yet another new one about 18 months ago, and bought it. Unfortunately, it is still in the box! But I can't imagine not keeping it around as they provided me so much enjoyment over the years. Kind of like the new Advantage that I come across last year. But I regress! During the course of the past 10 years or so, I've tried about everything out there under the sun. You mention the M6....... I enjoyed using the MXT for several years. And I still think it is a good detector, for what it is. But as technology has progressed and I tried other detectors with more functionality, I found myself becoming more appreciative of notch discrimination and multiple audio tones. When the M6 came to be, I figured I could sacrifice the notch discrimination, and hoped it would be more like an MXT with multiple tones. Putting it nicely, I was disappointed in the M6. Several times!

Needless to say, I really like my X-TERRAs. The 705 is a truly remarkable detector. Multiple tones, notch discrimination, Auto NC, Auto GB, Tracking, tracking GB offset, Beach Mode, light weight, very well balanced and on and on and on.

Not to disagree, but the 505 is not the same detector as a 705, without gold. The 705 has a bit faster processor, more refined adjustments for nearly every piece of functionality, several Auto modes which are capable of making more precise adjustments that human's can do by ear, and the Prospecting mode allows for it to be a highly respected VLF gold detector. There may be better detectors dedicated to gold. But they are not VLF technology and the price tag can approach 5 - 10 times as much $$.

Based on your applications, I would suggest you consider a DD coil for the high levels of mineralization. As such, you might consider the "Gold Pack" which includes the elliptical DD instead of the 9-inch concentric as the stock coil. Although that coil may serve you well for most of your hunts, I would suggest the 6-inch DD will provide better target separation, and it is completely waterproof for your beach use. For those deeply buried relics, you may want to consider a larger coil. And with that, I'd suggest either 10.5-inch DD. They will provide the best depth of detection in highly mineralized sites. And with the DD design, the target separation will be excellent for a coil that size. With back problems, you may find the 10.5 a bit awkward for those long days in the field. I know I do. So before you spend the extra money on the 10.5 as an accesory coil, try the elliptical that comes stock in the Gold Pack and see if it doesn't provide all the depth you need.

I would agree that typically, less weight usually meant less durability. But that was the days before high tensile plastics and carbon fiber composites. I would also say that the technology implemented in the VFLEX X-TERRA is far advanced over the boards used in your 6000. So although the X-TERRA isn't the detector in a big black box you've been using, rest assured it is plenty durable for the types of hunting you will be doing. And frankly, you will be ready to call it a day long before your X-TERRA is. One thing I've done to mine is change to a straight rod assembly. And if you're considering one of the larger than stock coils, it does help maintain a better balance. I use the straight rod assembly out of a Sovergn GT. But I've seen guys who have used a Tesoro straight rod, or a Whites straight rod assembly. Depending on the make and model you get, it may be as simple as redrilling the holes where the new rod fits into the Minelab upper rod. (Minelab uses one tab on the bottom of the rod and most others use 2 tabs, horizontal) But that is an easy fix with a drill and a bit of patience. The environmental cover by Minelab is a tight fit. Although battery life is excellent (+/- 40 hours per 4 cell set), it is a pain to take off and put back on, when you are in the middle of a hunt. There is a company in Europe who makes a cover that has a velcro "lid" for the battery compartment. They do not support this forum, so we are restricted from posting the site. But if you do a search online or on ebay, you will likely find what it is I am talking about.

Again,welcome to the forum. If you have any questions, rest assured that there are a LOT of very knowledgeable folks here to help you with the answers. HH Randy

EOS said:
Go for the X-terra 705.Its well balanced and a real coinmagnet for sure.
But if you want a superbalanced detector you can use all day long without any bad effects,then I can recommend a Rutus Jupiter or the more expensive XP Deus.They are superb in trashy areas.

Im will keep my 705 and for trashy areas I will get a Rutus a.s.a.p

Mike the Swede

Thank you all for the responses. Ones above are a little rich for my means. It will be a stretch to purchase the Xterra.

Blank Planet-your input is music to my ears.

Morerelic55- I'll check out those batteries. Only relic hunting I ever did was Revolutionary War- and found some minnie balls. Always meant to go back-Now it's a National Park (was a corn field).
Price going up again? it was $ 699 when I stated my quest-----Thanks for heads up.

From Digger
Not to disagree, but the 505 is not the same detector as a 705, without gold. The 705 has a bit faster processor, more refined adjustments for nearly every piece of functionality, several Auto modes which are capable of making more precise adjustments that human's can do by ear, and the Prospecting mode allows for it to be a highly respected VLF gold detector. There may be better detectors dedicated to gold. But they are not VLF technology and the price tag can approach 5 - 10 times as much $$.

Basically I said- IF that were the only difference between the 505 & 705 I'd give up that option for the $ difference. 705 it is!

And thanks for the detailed reply Digger.I was hoping that you wold give advice. Gold Pack-huh- isn't that the highest Frequency coil option? I have been reading about coinshooting w HF. To my limited knowledge-isn't a Low Frequency the usual/preferred coin search? Please elaborate a little if you would on that aspect.

Due to all of the above responses- it's definately the 705! I'll get it before the 7th-that's for sure.

I will answer or comment on the rest of your reply later Randy. I type very slowly and have to go for now.

More later-Thank you all very much for the welcomes and great replies. I'm so glad i joined up.
Greg

Digger,(and everyone)
Regarding new high tech materials - you're right. I use graphite and carbon for my fishing rods. New reels are built with the same material replacing metal and much lighter.
Cover with the flap- saw it will locate one. Question-will they take a drizzle/light rain?
I have not ever even held a 705. I'll check out how it feels before upgrading the rods. How is the connection at the coil? Do I need replacement hardware or a stabilizer?
Water proof & water resistant- I always silicon the connections. I've never used a coil submerged. Should be ok with light rain or wet grass.
Coils again please elaborate regarding the Frequency (questions above). I'll get the gold pack on your advice. 6" DD-is that the same 18.75 Frequency? If I were to get a 2nd coil w my purchase-would it make more sense to have 2 different frequencies?
My priorities for MD are listed in my initial post. I'm certain that I would prospect before I'd go relic hunting. I only did it once in 30yrs and a regular coil was ok.
What is the frequency of the stock 9" coil? DD's sound better and cost more-so I'd be glad to get the gold pack if it would serve my needs. Your word is good enough for me.

And again- do we have any sponsors that would like to direct me to their site or compete with the K site. They have an offer that gives a 5 yr warranty. That is my choice for some time now. Maybe they are connected here- I'm not sure how to find out who our sponsors are or who we can (or can't) mention.

Thank you ALL,
Greg

GTzer said:
Gold Pack-huh- isn't that the highest Frequency coil option? I have been reading about coinshooting w HF. To my limited knowledge-isn't a Low Frequency the usual/preferred coin search? Please elaborate a little if you would on that aspect.

Any of the coil frequencies will find anything metal. But you are correct that the Gold Pack coil includes an 18.75 kHz (HF) DD elliptical coil. And you are also correct in thinking that lower frequency coils respond better to high conductive targets such as silver and copper coins. Likewise, higher frequency coils respond better to lower conductive targets such as gold. Unfortunately, at this point in time, the only LF 3kHz coil available on the X-TERRA is the 9-inch concentric. And since you said the areas you primarily hunt will be highly mineralized, a DD coil will perform much better for you at those sites. Without knowing how highly mineralized your soil is, I can only speculate that the concentric coils will not meet your expectations. Regardless, you will find the smooth bottom and high frequency of the elliptical DD to be an excellent choice for detecting coins and jewelry inland or at the beach. And as an added benefit, if you ever slow down long enough to go Prospecting, you're all set up! But before you take it to the beach, I would recommend running a bead of silicon around where the coil cover meets the coil, and a dab around where the cable enters the coil. It is water-resistant. But like any tool, I believe we need to take every measure we can, to protect it from the elements.

As I mentioned, lower frequencies produce better results on higher conductive targets than higher frequency coils. And higher frequency coils respond better to lower conductive targets (such as gold) than low frequency coils. In addition, larger coils detect large targets deeper than small coils. Small coils are more sensitive to small targets than large coils. DD coils perform better in highly mineralize ground, than concentric coils. But if the mineralization levels allow their use, concentric coils provide a more accurate TID on coins. The TID "accuracy" is the biggest difference in the three frequencies. That is because each target is assigned a notch "bin", based on the conductive properties as identified in software. When those "bins" are closer together, the TID information on specific notch ranges can "bleed" over into adjacent bins. If you take a look at page 82 of my ebook, you can see a diagram that better explains the notch separation between the 3 coil frequencies.

If you have any other comments or questions, don't hesitate to ask. As I said, there are a lot of great folks here on the X-TERRA forum.

HH Randy

P.S. As a musician, I think you will have a huge appreciation for the harmonic information you can gather from using the multiple tone audio mode and minimal discrimination.

you can find a listing of the forum sponsors over on the feedback forum. However, Kellyco is one of the sponsoring dealers. But I appreciate your being concerned enough to ask.

The cordura covers will repel mist - rain. If in doubt in a downpour, put a baggy around it.
The coil connection is generally good. I've never had to seal any of mine, in any weather conditions. But that says more about me not wanting to get wet than it does about the detector!
When you put on the coils, make sure the rod fits snuggly between the ears of the coil. It comes with washers...... use them. There have been some reports of guys breaking the ears when tightening the bolt.
The differences between the coils can be found in a post in the FAQFAQ section, or in the ebook.
There is also an explanation for the difference between waterproof and water resistant, in the FAQFAQ section. Primarily, waterproof means it can withstand a certain amount of water pressure, for a given period of time. If you are only concerned with puddles or wet grass, don't be.
The stock 9-inch concentric is 7.5 kHz. However, note in my other post that DD coils perform much better in highly mineralized ground.

HH Randy

Welcome to the forum. I have had xterra 70 for almost three years and have never had any problems with it. The battery life is around thirty hours on mine give or take a couple. I always use duracell. My favorite thing about it is that it has multiple tone in all metal.

Thanks 7centsworth.

Digger, Thank you so much for your very detailed response. I'm on a never ending quest for knowledge so I really appreciate some one like you sharing their knowledge and experience. Got me second guessing my assertion of "Heavy Mineralization" so I posted a separate thread regarding the kind of mineralization in my area. For some reason I can't quote from that thread and place it here.
So I'll say that my Whites stock coil (6000 Di Series 3 VLF) worked great. I DO want the accurate TID. But -if the DD HF is better suited for my area I'll get it.
As soon as I get a consensus I'll post it here.

Good to know that Kellyco is a sponsor. That being said- I'm pretty much set on their package deal that has the extra 2 yr warranty. Seems like a better choice than a pinpointer-which I desire but will purchase later.

Do you think I should get that Coil Stabilizer that they sell?
Thanks, Greg

I just purchased the 705 with the 9" concentric 7.5 mHz coil and in real trashy areas it was very hard to get a good target separation..... I have since bought the 9x5 DD ellipical coil and the difference is amazing for target separation

Thanks Joe Z! Exactly the info that I'm trying to acquire-more of.
Is that trashy ground also highly mineralized? How is the TID? In non trash areas do you get good readings also?

GTzer said:
Thanks Joe Z! Exactly the info that I'm trying to acquire-more of.

Is that trashy ground also highly mineralized?Yes.....my ground balance is around 13 which is very high mineralization

How is the TID?The numbers on the coins i found and a silver trinket where nice and strong and i knew i had something...... tin foil and can slaw had numbers jumping all over the place.....lead bullets and casings also gave a nice solid TID

In non trash areas do you get good readings also?DD coils are great in highly mineralized soil so the non trashy areas where just as good with solid hits and it was so sensitive that i had a thin piece of copper wire about 1/4" long down about 7" that was a real solid hit......i was surprised how well this coil does and really don't think i will be using my concentric again...... I will be getting the smaller 6"DD HF coil when money is available for real tight sweeping and super fine nugget picking after the ellipical gets me in a good area
If you read randy's book near the end he had the shape of the beam on the concentric which was an inverted cone and the DD which is like a thick razor blade...... it's that razor blade that i personally like as it gets between other targets as opposed to the inverted cone of the concentric
Hope this helps,
Joe[/b]

Joe Z,
Yes that really does help. I like the "razor blade" analogy. I've seen the diagrams, read about the shape, Randy's excellent book and replies. Might have read that exact description even. Some how it just made logical sense to me.
I'm down to the final day or two before I choose my purchase. For some reason (with me) when I come to the end of one phase of research -that involves spending money- the more I know or the more info that Ive processed-seems to have a reverse effect on my rational thinking.

Thank you,
Greg

its always hard researching a detector and reading other opinions on things as every ones is different to some degree, we all learn how to use our detectors differently and no 2 people detect the same, and some detectors seem to fit some better than others, me personally have tried many different brands and style of detector, they all find metal and some are better than others at certain tasks.
some i have researched then got them and used them a few times and thought whats all the hype about?? this machine is junk!!

the secret to detecting is TIME with a machine reading is good but it does not replace time with a machine, when i 1st got the xterra i didn't like it !! now its the 1st machine i grab 90% of the time but i have to spend time with it and get to know its quirks and beeps and when i think i know it all i realise i know very little but practice makes perfect , my advice is spend the money if you are willing to go through the i want to throw this thing in the trash and what a waste of money!! after that comes wow this is a really good machine and it will continue to amaze i know mine does.

went to a little park the other day that i was sure had some silver coins i had been there 3 times before with nothing, this time i found 3 silver coins, did the machine get better sense the last 3 times or am i learning how it ticks? i think the latter, so what i am saying is it takes time to learn to drive. oh and pleanty of digging :biggrin:

blank planet

I love my Minelab Xterra...6 months ago I would not have said that as I just did not like the flutie signals that a Sovereign I had gave out. The tones options on this unit is perfect. I am primarily a relic hunter and have been using mine for civil war relics in highly mineralized soil...as Digger mentioned...the DD coils work great!
I got invited to go on an old beach...this beach was LOADED with signals...I literally could not swing my DD coil. I found out very quickly that the accept/reject button was my friend. I decided I wanted to silver/clad coin hunt so I rejected ANY signal as soon as I swung over it...below 38. I only had 1 1/2 hrs to hunt. I dug 18 quarters, 6 dimes and a couple pennies that somehow snuck in there! No silver though 2 of the quarters were 65' and 1-67'.
The rain cover is a must...although they are overpriced.

The last two posts say it all......I keep going back to the same three spots at a tot lot and a volleyball court and i am getting better at deciphering the signals and finding much more that just junk now and knowing what to expect when the signal jumps around..... I bought the minelab cover and it was so tight that i cut it up one side to get it to fit.... I think the baggie idea is a nice idea.

Please know that I am looking forward to learning how to use the Xterra 705. If I didn't care to do so I'd get some simple MD w auto controls. I'm still working the analog Whites that i described in my initial post. I'm use to ground balancing -checking signals against the VDI-finding notch patterns for different areas etc. now I'm going to add tones, more notching-programing and a lot of unfamiliar features---great!
It's a lot of money for me to lay out. Been saving for a while. My other rant was the unusual way my mind "bottle necks" all of the info I'm processing and almost renders me a total imbecile when it comes to retaining what I'm learned.
All of my previous experience yells VLF so the idea of the HF coil made me question -well everything.

At this moment my choice is Xterra Gold Pack from Kellyco. with the option that adds 2 yrs to the warranty.
Price goes up on the 7th of January- so I'll buy it tomorrow before I go to work.

Thank you all for the info and assist.
Greg

Greg.....
I stayed up til about 2 am every day for about two weeks investigating, investigating and more investigating until my head hurt ..... I went with the xterra 705 and am very pleased. Think you will too :beers:
Joe