Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Iron falsing

Kapok

Has anyone been able to set up their D2 so it doesn't false on iron? I've tried programs based on General, Deep HC, and Fast modified to 3 tones (which I prefer) and they all give a repeatable high tone and 86-88 VDI. I can hear the iron tone on either side of the target, but it's not efficient to have to constantly stop and investigate these bogus high tones when hunting in iron. The original Deus was so good at this pretty much out of the box, so I'm frustrated at making the D2 be my go-to detector in iron.

Bumping up the Silencer doesn't seem to help. The XY screen does correctly identify the target as iron, but I'd rather use the horseshoe screen if possible.

Please understand that this could be user error and that I am not bashing the D2 or trying to start a war, I'm just looking for help setting up my D2 so it does what I need it to.

Well Kapok, like you this is a gripe of mine. I haven't got it quite sorted out yet. Relic with IAR set at 5 helps if there isn't a lot of big iron. But I prefer Pitch so I can use a bit of Dicrim. I also resorted to using the XY screen last time out. Yeah, the D1 handled crusty iron better. I suppose you could use the D2 in single frequency but what would be the point ? I hope XP has a fix for it. It does slow me down somewhat.

the both have quirks d1 and d2 i tried all manner of steels from rusty iron horse shoes to rusty gas pipes ,drop forged steel ,and tool steels , cast iron and they cant be relied on as numbers are all over the place ..a radiator in the house is said to be non ferous .i give up ..dont think it can be cured

I have never had a machine that did not have some falsing on iron. I owned and used Ace 250, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Cibola, E-Trac, CTX, Deus 1 and there are some types of iron that will cause falsing that can’t be avoided. Anything round such as those horsetack rings will do it often, any roundish iron object will do its shape. Detector software seems to be geared to liking round objects. For me the help in avoiding digging too much iron is the sound of the signal as you come off the target, if it is scratchy or clipped there is a good chance it is iron. On the Minelab machines which were multi frequency iron often had as you came off a target what I called a “harmonic” tone a sudden change into a slightly lower tone. I primarily hunt fields where there is an abundance of iron so I program so I can hear some iron because if you run your silencer too high you will miss a nonferrous target that is conjoined with a iron target. You will always dig some iron and there are iron targets I like such as sad irons, axe heads, tools etc.

I have never had a machine that did not have some falsing on iron. I owned and used Ace 250, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Cibola, E-Trac, CTX, Deus 1 and there are some types of iron that will cause falsing that can’t be avoided. Anything round such as those horsetack rings will do it often, any roundish iron object will do its shape. Detector software seems to be geared to liking round objects. For me the help in avoiding digging too much iron is the sound of the signal as you come off the target, if it is scratchy or clipped there is a good chance it is iron. On the Minelab machines which were multi frequency iron often had as you came off a target what I called a “harmonic” tone a sudden change into a slightly lower tone. I primarily hunt fields where there is an abundance of iron so I program so I can hear some iron because if you run your silencer too high you will miss a nonferrous target that is conjoined with a iron target. You will always dig some iron and there are iron targets I like such as sad irons, axe heads, tools etc.
My equinox and ctx do it too. I think the deus ii actually gives the clearest audio indication of iron false.

I use general program with 5 tones, highest tone for 88+ vdi and the nickel slot. On the nails, spikes, sections of wire you will notice a distinct sound. And as mentioned iron grunts to the sides. I use the PWM audio mode with iron volume at stock 4. PWM is distinct on iton. The points of these junk items radiate a small field that seems to trigger a high vdi false, when I do get fooled they mostly are just off to the side of the hole.
The one that sounds really good is a nail straight up and down in the hole, can sound good in all directions, I start pinpointing and its dead center deep in the hole just like a coin would be. Luckily most nails aren't vertical.

Also want to add, so far I have found Deep HC offers up the most pronounced iron false sounds that sound like possible good targets, General has been much better for me at quickly weeding out nails and such. And I have noticed General is very capable on depth.

I would agree Rockford. I think General's wider range of frequencies and its conductive soil subtraction format helps it ID iron more effectively than Deep HC.

Also want to add, so far I have found Deep HC offers up the most pronounced iron false sounds that sound like possible good targets, General has been much better for me at quickly weeding out nails and such. And I have noticed General is very capable on depth.
You can also switch to the display screen called XY

On target past 5 or 6 inches deep it has not been reliable for me, causing all targets to look like squiggles. Works nice on shallower stuff though.
Interesting, I thought that meant it was a ferrous item. Now I’ll need to investigate these after the weather gets cooler here

Just dig everything, there are some good relics that are iron.

What’s the consensus for using program 3 -sensitive FT and using XY screen in terms of iron identification? Which is more suited- general or sensitive ( 3-tone or Full tone?)