Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Iron wrap around

LTimedigger

What is your opinion on notching the last two or so digits for wrap around? I generally do this and to be honest when I haven't it turns out to be a rusty cap at about 12 inches. But I have begun to rethink this because the Deus tends to not give a VDI the deeper it is. Also the depth indicator is just approximate on all machines but the Deus tend to read depth deeper that it actually is which suggests that some items that ring way up in this range may actually be good. What has been yalls experience?

I seldom ever notch out the top few TID's. The reason is to hear it all and decide for myself what is responding. The key things I try to note are the relative audio volume of the Iron tone & the high tone. Loud Iron tone & loud high tone & wide bounce from low to highest TDI tells me it a false. The high tone will also be very short & sound forced. If the audio only has a soft Iron tone buzz & TDI's are not as wide or hitting the top end it is worth a dig to me. A good target will have some fullness to the audio, even if it is small/deep. I only feel like a dummy if I dig an unbent nail. Having said all that, there is nothing wrong with notching out the high #s if that suites you or the site better.

I don't think notching is good with the higher frequencies because of the high numbers for silver. At lower frequencies where silver id is high 80s or very low 90s it can make a difference in sound. Try it. Just throw different large pieces of iron on the ground and adjust. If you don't like it, remove it. I could tell a difference on my Impact

It depends on which detector I'm using, location and how energetic/lazy I am.. There's no right or wrong answer. Like any iffy signal, if you pass it up then you could be missing something good. You have to decide if it's worth it

Yeah, there are better approaches to this dilemma rather than using Notch. Instead of notching, use Multi Tones and assign those numbers a low tone. At least that way you won't Disc out those iffy signals altogether. You'll still have some audio to work with but avoid the annoying iron wrap.

Thanks yall. Already use notch sparingly but got used to using iron wrap on CTX which gives better low conductive deep #s but also falses more. Will try w/o and see what I find.

I agree 100% with Lodge Scent on method. The wrap around is the iron going to high tone. Using LS's suggestion you can, on a iron bottle cap, as you approach the cap hear it go from pure iron ton to high 95+ Vid high tone. I will say I don't use notch, it to me, corrupts the signal that I am used to. As the signal would go through the notch, the sound would blank a little while pinpointing and had a little static sound during the transition from blanked out and in, if that makes sense.

I also agree with Timedigger that it can be useful to critical in some situation, one such being trying to find a matching earring.