Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Is it in the Numbers?

widebody

[size=large]Went out to my backyard here in S.W. WA. and did this test i found on you tube by Earthmansurfer69. first i tested for emi. i was surrounded. it was affecting all three bands. i live in the burbs. cookie cutter housing all around. next i ground bal'd. then check the mineralization numbers.
Freq. / % concentration
freq. 22.5 = 32.3-6
freq. 7.5 = 37.6
freq. 2.5 = 38.5-39.2[/
VDI reading was -93.
filter was set on 10 band
Best Data
RX = 7
coin/jewelry
Can these numbers be right? At my park the % ranges were into the 60's. that says I'm standing on a plate of iron don't it? will try again tomorrow.
Post your thoughts ( clean ones ) and on subject at hand.

HH

Howdy Widebody,
You may have read that I'm experiencing similar mineralization here in central WA? My first questions would be did you have the 10"DD on? And did you correct for the emi that you found? I'm guessing that the emi could have an affect on your other readings? Someone else is going to have to comment on that one because I don't have the experience to even make a guess. As for the mineralization readings (pretending no emi), YES, they are very possible.

I'm getting the same numbers, but I'm up in the mountains on shallow rocky soils of river outwash. Here in the sagebrush (still rocky shallow soils of river/glacier outwash) the readings drop to around 10% (the factory Hi Pro program). Up in the mountains, I get your numbers, but with a higher Rx setting. If I drop the Rx to 5 I'm usually down into the 20s on the mineralization. If the emi doesn't affect the mineralization numbers, then I'd say make absolutely sure that you are over a clean site with your tests. If you did that also, then Yikes, you're worse off than I am!

I wish you luck, and if you figure something out, please share. I'll do the same. As a side, I worked in Kelso for 8 years, and have relatives in Woodland. Maybe we can get together and compare notes sometime? I don't know of any MDers here where I'm at, but I think you have some pretty active clubs in the Port/Van area. Maybe some "local knowledge" would go a long way for ya?

Dave

[size=large]Rusfed, i do have the D2 on. It's the only coil i have right now. Because of the $200 bonus bucks at whites i ordered the 6x10.
For right now i can truthfully say i don't have the slightest idea of what i'm doing is right or wrong. From what i gather the reading are based on coil,& settings. How do i get the real info of how bad is the ground? As you wrote the readings can be changed..
As for clubs, i avoid them. I'm not into planted hunts or holiday hunts and such. I'm into hunting for treasure. It's quiet and peaceful. I do enjoy getting together in a discussion of things. Here in kelso i have met 40 active hunters. You lived here so can see we have 39 too many.
I'm retired from Portland so somewhat free to meet & greet. Here i will give a shout out to Gordy Grover. My first contact here from the forum. There have been two others from this area also from the forum. I did attend a class give by Monte Berry in portland when I was just getting into mding. Very helpful fellow.
I am wondering how much, if any, influence good ol' Mt. St. Helen is having on all this. She's just 35 mi. Directly East of me. When I feel I have a understanding of anything I'll pass it on. Til then, Input. I need Input.:confused:
[/size]

HH

I've never seen readings like you guys are reporting and i have been to many areas of the country in my RV. Remember, I am not there so, are you doing the test correctly? I'm just asking?

Are you zeroing the screen before each test?

[size=large]yes on zero the screen. at least it says zero. my 6x 10 arrived today so I'm back to the park to try the test again. whites has recommendations for filters in their manual. so what coil and settings did they use for testing to achieve the recommendations? these numbers are so way off from what i expected my thoughts are going to bad coil. only other thought is i'm missing something. i just watched the video again. to check for mineral strength you press zoom then check for zero then PRESS ENTER then lower coil and watch the numbers. i have not been pressing enter correctly i'll bet. will do tomorrow. the fellow is also using a 6x10 if that matters any. at least all the equipment will be the same. believe me am not taking offence to questions. i know how easy it is to skip a beat. like i said i may have stumbled onto the problem. will see. right in line with your thought Larry.

HH[/size]

Ground Probe

The ground probe is just another tool. Many people do great and never use it. It is used to help tell the type of soil you are hunting in. This can help make a choice of gains, frequency, filter, or coil.

[attachment 267619 ScreenHunter_41Jun.0608.23.jpg]

The right side of the screen reports the phase and strength of the residual signal, and does so for each individual frequency. This is useful for analyzing the characteristics of the ground, but only if the residual signal consists purely of ground signal. This will be true if (1) we can get rid of other residual signals like an imperfect loop null, and (2) if we put the loop over target-free ground. To get rid of any residual loop null signal, hold the loop in the air and away from metal, TAB to select the Zero button, and press ENTER. The Ground Probe is now zeroed and you should see the Strength numbers go to 0% and the phase numbers jump around a lot. Now you can lower the loop to the ground, careful to avoid targets, and the Phase and Strength numbers will be that of the ground.

"PHASE ANGLE" is the measured difference between the transmitted signal and the signal received from the target. Different materials have different characteristics (resistivity, reflectivity, conductivity, density, etc) which affect the signal that is returned from that specific target. It is this difference between the transmitted and returned signal (phase angle) that is measured. The VDI reading at the top of the screen is converted from the phase into VDI units like you'd see for normal targets such as (VDI = 19 = a nickel).
The detector only reports VDIs converted from positive phase angles (0 to 180 degrees). The negative angles aren't valid. In the ground probe screen, you may see negative angles if you are holding the coil in the air so there is no real signal coming in, just noise, or you haven't zeroed it yet. When you zero the detector, it removes the system and coil offsets and enables the user to achieve a more accurate reading of the ground. Once you zero the machine and lower it to the ground your phase angles should come in between 0 and 180 degrees.
A ferrite bead will come in very close to 180 degrees (-95 VDI). Most ground that we see is 178 degrees (-94 VDI) to 165 degrees. Salt water, wet beach or fields with lots of fertilizer come in close to 90 degrees (0 VDI).

The VDI reading is converted from the ground phase normalized to standard VDI units. It's either going to be from the strongest signal if the detector is running best data, or the average of the two strongest signals if correlate is selected.
The phase tells you composition (between purely ferrous and purely salt), while the signal strength tells you the concentration (more mineralized). If you have ground coming in at -94(VDI) with a signal strength of 2% and another ground is coming in at -91 with a signal strength of 7%, it would seem that the ground coming in at -91 is more mineralized even though it is a less negative number. A signal strength of the ground as follows 0 to 10% weak, 10% to 20% Moderate and 20% and up to be strong. The lower the mineralization, the slower one should sweep - which may mean a lower filter should be selected.
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?66,1694523

[size=large] It was the improper way i skipped past the zero push the enter button part. my numbers are now vdi -93 - -94 and the strength numbers are between 5 % and 10 % depending in which part of the park you find yourself in. So there ya have it. Rob and Larry were right on from the get go. thanks very much. i can now like my machine a lot more. now i need to focus on other sections to understand. but for now I'm good to go til I'm real comfy with these tid bits of controls. don't know why but I'm lovin the 6x 10. it seems to be just the perfect size.
Hope yer listening Rustedwoodsman. sounds like we may have been following the same wrong trail. getting this corrected gives me more confidence in the machine.
i had a reading of 50s and 60s and the polar plot had two line sorta go off correctly so i dug. came up with two pennies about 1/2 in. apart and then a qtr. about 1/4 from the last penny. all three collectively screwed with the signal of the others. i only guessing here but i think it's tied into the Best Data and Correlate process.
will get back to the classroom and test more.
And two things more. This machine does not really tell ya when ya screwed up. you must follow the procedures exactly. when G.B.ing ya let the Enter button release first then the Toggle switch. you must push enter when you what to zero the reading for ground strength. Don't beat yourself up when you can't figure it out at first. and don't throw the machine. it has a learning curve but one can master it with patience and time and the help of this forum. The only Dumb Question is the one you don't ask.

HH[/size]
g

OK, I like your post.

OK the problem has been solved and this post is too complicated to follow. Start a new post.