Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Is it just Dumb Luck?

buckeeeee

I started detecting 5 years ago, 99% of the time beach hunting, wet sand and dry sand only, no water hunting. During this time I mainly zig zag while hunting, and I rarely grid. I just look for areas that look like where people have been, for example: trash, towel impressions, butt impressions, cuts, holes etc.. Nothing scientific or any special settings, I just retired so I go beach hunting daily now and I always find lots and lots of real good stuff, gold, silver, platinum, diamonds, rings, bracelets, chains, necklaces, watches, etc.. I mainly walk the beach (summer or winter time) and then turn around and come back to where I started and I find good stuff in both directions. I watch videos and I read the forums and I hear and see people talk about settings, gridding, tides, deep signals and what sounds to dig. My question, is metal detecting (beach hunting), technique, just luck or both?

I am a dirt fisher I can't speak for the beach hunters per say... but I am a "gridder" yet I hunt with zigzaggers with no set detecting search pattern... I find more stuff, they find less but more valuable stuff... so I guess whatever works for you... I have tried the walk in circles from tree to tree and occasionally get lucky, but very rarely. I imagine beaches where people frequent often the drop zone changes daily...

I am a dirt fisher I can't speak for the beach hunters per say... but I am a "gridder" yet I hunt with zigzaggers with no set detecting search pattern... I find more stuff, they find less but more valuable stuff... so I guess whatever works for you... I have tried the walk in circles from tree to tree and occasionally get lucky, but very rarely. I imagine beaches where people frequent often the drop zone changes daily...
Well said gunwolf, I guess maybe I don't have the patience to spend 10 to 15 minutes digging and my reward is a piece of iron, bobby pin or trash, so I tend to move on from iffy or faint deep signals and only dig repeatable signals.

Beach hunting is renewable pretty much daily, inland hunting is just the opposite so we have to invent new methods of finding deeper and mask targets to keep finding stuff that's why you hear about us standing on our heads and holding our breath while hunting.
Another day at the beach, 2 silver and 2 junkers. Today zig zagging the beach with lots of targets. Check out the finds. Screenshot_20210617-093232_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20210617-092905_Gallery.jpgthumbnail.jpgScreenshot_20210617-093006_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20210617-093051_Gallery.jpg

I do all kinds of detecting water beach wet sand dry sand parks schools and one thing I know for sure is if you take your time and make sure your coil control is spot on you will make more valuable finds.
Beach detecting is really quite easy for me I usually detect them in the winter because tides are better and no one usually on them and the early spring fall and winter storms help uncover more treasure...
Mark